Thread: Ship-wide Atmospheric Bulkheads

Ship-wide Atmospheric Bulkheads

So, I am playing with an active duty naval engineering officer and one of the things he wants to do with his ship is to have compartmentalization and physical atmospheric/water tight compartments on the ship. In the series, the only physical barriers we see utilized are the sealed connections during saucer separation and the blast doors that surround the warp core. Sure there are doors, both in and out of rooms, in Jefferies tubes, and airlock doors; but on Federation ships when a hull breach occurs we see a lot of use of emergency force fields. However, power may not always be available in a sufficient amount to keep those force fields active/on. Therefore, he wanted the ship to be compartmentalized with Ship-wide atmospheric bulkheads.

SU Cost: 2 x Size
    Power Cost: 2 x Size (during turn opening or closing)
    A series of physical barriers built into the inner hull of the ship that creates physical atmospheric/water tight sections within the ship. Where these sections meet each other extra thick armored bulkheads exist. Where these sections meet doors, these doors are nearly as thick as the armored bulkhead. When these sections have Jefferies tubes, turbolift pathways, corridors or other Personnel Transportation Systems, physical barriers maybe lowered to seal sections off from each other; this takes 2 x Size worth of power.
    Decrease crew casualties by 90% by hull breaches; double inner hull resistance.

Let me know if you have any suggestions on how the description wording and/or effects should work.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

IIRC from the tech manuals, those *are* there, you just don't see them on-set because budgets. The holodeck/cargo bay/shuttlebay doors seem to be airtight by default (Bev and Geordi aren't worried about decompressing the whole deck in Disaster) and even the regular doors make a weird hissing sound; I'd be tempted to say that they're capable of mediating between pressure differences. (They're airtight enough that people can control the heat/humidity/etc in individual quarters, at least.)
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Spacedock, didn't cover that very well, so I didn't assume. That might be mine and the player's fault.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One