Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decipher's LOTR rpg

Arrow

About the same time as the first movie hit the theater ... December 2001 (barring any unforeseen delay).

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    About the same time as the first movie hit the theater ... December 2001 (barring any unforeseen delay).

</font>
    The 1st movie might bew delayed, since they have to redo the opening scenes. Because of a crappy sound studio in New Zealand.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Arrow

But we're still six months away. What do you think they're doing? Recording one word a day just for the opening scene? Or are they trying to erase Xena's battle cry that mysteriously have gotten into the background noise?

(Yeah, you trying hear that annoying "ay-yi-yi-yi!" sound clip in a continuous neverending loop.)

------------------

They had better not delay it (the movie). There could be deaths involved if they do.

Tolkien fans are some of the most rabid I have seen yet.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don:
    If you’re referring to Monte Cook, to my knowledge, no. (However, I’ll confess to ignorance on this matter.) Steve Long, in all his epic goodness, is doing the majority of the work on LotR.</font>
    Yes, I was referring to Mr. Cook.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Monte, as you might know, left Wizards a few months ago and is doing contract work, primarily for Wizards, and launched his own d20 company, Malhavoc Press. He’s also been writing quite a bit of fiction, in particular Dark Matter. While working at Iron Crown Enterprises Monte worked mostly on the Rolemaster line and very little on MERP (any?). (Name Dropping Alert: Monte was my editor on my very first paying gig through ICE, Creatures & Treasures III.)</font>
    I don't think he worked on any MERP - just Rolemaster and Spacemaster (maybe some ShadowWorld with Terry Amthor? Don't recall). My main editor was Jessica Ney-Grimm (wonder what she's up to these days?).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    If you’re interested in more info on the system that’s going to be used with LotR then you’ll certainly want to take a look at the upcoming updates on the Star Trek game—they will employ the same core mechanics. (In playtest right now.)
    </font>
    I wonder how similar it's going to end up being.... I really really have been hoping for a system catered to the spirit of Middle-earth, and not another (as MERP was) attempt to jam Middle-earth into an existing system. I've never seen that sort of thing work very well. Most of the ground-breaking and/or (widely accepted as) excellent game systems have been constructed from scratch (or nearly scratch) to deal with their particular genre. GURPS would, of course, be an exception to this. I refer to game systems like HERO, WEG's Star Wars, Paranoia, and (of course) ICON. I really really hope that the LotR system doesn't borrow too heavily from the Star Trek system - except for the fact that there's no magic in ST, and that seems to be the most difficult area in creating a system for Middle-earth.

Lord above, but I can ramble. Hope no-one fell asleep on their keyboards....

-Joeman

Arrow

<font color="orange">I refer to game systems like HERO, WEG's Star Wars, Paranoia, and (of course) ICON.</font>

Even most of these systems have expanded into different genres. The past Hero System have such products not only in Champion but Danger International (espionage), Fantasy HERO (self-explanatory), Ninja HERO (oriental version), etc.

WEG promoted their d6 System, which made popular by their licensed SW RPG with a d6 Masterbook and the World of Aden(sp?). Currently, they're promoting their new revised system d6Legend under two current products: DC Super-Heroes and MetaBarons (which also includes a conversion for the original d6 System). Correct me if I'm wrong.

And of course, during the waning years, LUG promoted their Icon system not just for Star Trek RPG but Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium RPG (limited copies printed under the WotC label).

------------------

Still a system catered to its own genre. Is IMHO a much better system then a crosswork system.

GURPS worked to a degree, due to its userfriendly setup.

As to Decipher's new system. How many modifications will be made to it for LotR and still call it the same as the StarTrek system?

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Arrow

As much modifications and additions they needed to make it a worthy game of the high (or is it epic?) fantasy genre, while retaining the core mechanics of the system. A difficult task but Decipher would like to establish their own network of roleplayers without having to make them having to learn two completely different set of core rules.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by REG:
    Currently, they're promoting their new revised system d6Legend under two current products: DC Super-Heroes and MetaBarons (which also includes a conversion for the original d6 System). Correct me if I'm wrong.
    </font>
    You are a bit wrong. The systems in the two games are very different. The DC system is of the success count type introduced in Hercules & Xena with hit points and so on, where the Metabarons system is the old SW rewised system (with one single rule change).

Arrow

Thanks for the correction, BTW.

Well, the release date has been announced. There will be an introductory LOTR RPG game to be on sale at about the same time as the first movie, Fellowship of the Rings, in December 2001 (aka Holiday 2001).

The full-blown 300-page hardcover rulebook will be on sale February 2002.

http://www.decipher.com/tournaments/...enconlotr.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 08-18-2001).]

Thumbs up

Here's a link to an interview Steve Long did with the IGN/Middle Earth Vault:

http://mevault.ign.com/features/rpg/rpg.shtml

Steve talks about some of the LotR RPG combat specifics, movies vs. books issues, compatibility with other LotR games, and a few other such things.

Enjoy (if you haven't read it already!)

Steve

------------------
    Steve's Roleplaying Resources
    http://www.oil.ca/~goforit/stevehome.html
    E-mail: goforit@oil.ca

Whoa Boy! I was pumped about the game before I read the article, now I'm really jazzed. I'm just reading the LOTRs for the first time now, half way into the 2nd book, primarily for the movie, but I look forward to the game for the added "take" that someone else has on Middle-Earth.

The system seem very close to many of my favoured games, the "skill" use system and combat is close to L5R, and the little of the magic system he was able to talk about have taken the essence of the things I like about the magic in Ars Magica.

Steve man, keep up the good work, and whenever you can keep the flow of info going. WOW, looking forward to Feb. 2002.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

See you guys. I'm not all "doom and gloom."

Later.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!