Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decipher's LOTR rpg

Cool Decipher's LOTR rpg

According to a thread in Star Trek Chat, LUG's own Steve Long is heading up the Lord Of The Rings rpg that Decipher announced at GAMA.

WOO HOO! Congrats to you, Mr. Long!

In honor of this, I figured that I'd set up a little thread here to discuss what we would like to see, not see, and to generally just bother the bejeezus out of Steve

Reactions, people...?

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Question

Some people were talking about the previous incarnation of MERP that was published by Iron Crown Enterprises. My first paying gig was with ICE and I've always loved their Rolemaster system (no, it's not for the faint of heart).

What I've found interesting is that some people liked MERP but hated RM, even though they shared the same system. Wierd...

Anyhow, Steve's heading up the new MERP, and after all that work he did on Wheel of Time, I'm sure is enjoying the fantasy groove that he's in.

It will be interesting to see the new Trek rules and how they will be adapted for the MERP game, however.

Any teasers, Steve?

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Thumbs up

Ex-LUG guys doing a Middle Earth Role-Playing game - way to go guys !

Middle Earth was one RPG setting I came back to again and again in earlier years - I've been a big Tolkein buff for two decades now, and nothing matches the richness of the setting. That said, I was never a big fan of MERP or Rolemaster for that setting - magic was far too powerful and obtrusive. I ended up using a customised version of RQIII, sans most magic (oh, and all Elves except the Wood variety were strictly NPC-only; there's no easy way to game-balance elves ). It worked really well, which is funny, 'cos in working on the Fantasy version of ICON with Mr Cook, I couldn't help noticing that it had an RQIII flavour and level of realism.

Anyways, a few mind-wanderings:

• The core rule-book will have to tie in with the film background, I'd imagine. IMO this is a good thing, as it's the easiest for players to delve into immediately without exploring lots of JRRT back-story from the Appendices, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. Other eras can be covered by separate source-books.
    • The basic engine of the game system, whatever it may be, has to work for both LOTR and Trek. As the latter is fairly gritty and realistic as settings go, I'm hoping that this will carry through to the LOTR approach. That said, there would have to be tweaks to accomodate the 'high fantasy' heroic requirements. Maybe Pendragon would be a good model?
    • Fourth Age is tempting as a setting for the game, but I hope it doesn't become the default game setting. I'd prefer an approach like the one taken by the WOTC Star Wars, with the option to play in different eras
    • Mystery. Lots and lots of mystery. Magic should be strange, wondrous, and beyond the ken of most player characters. What it can do should be limited in flash-bang effect. Magic should be concentrated in ceremonies and the creation of magical artefacts and structures (Narsil, Orthanc). No fireballs!

Okay, mind-wanderings done... oh, and Steve, if you need a hand play-testing the stuff, consider me volunteered !

------------------
    "...and no, I don't play the bagpipes either!"

[This message has been edited by Cdr Scot II (edited 03-21-2001).]

I never really got behind Chartmaster, er Rolemaster. I only played a couple of times, in the MERP setting, with the full rules. It seemed a little ... cumbersome at times. I prefer streamlined games, that have all the math and tables at the front end of the game.

I look forward to seeing a new MERP game, though. I've always wanted to do something in that setting.

Hey, what's the chance of the Game being released near the Dec 19 release date of the new movie? How much input does the movie have on what the game setting is?

And Steve, what does that do to any other projects you're working on? In particular the Viper book.

And, since you might stop by here, how much input do you have on the Wheel of Time WotC stuff? Personally, I don't care for the books, but hey if Steve Long writes it, it must be OK, and at least worth a look.

Sorry for the OT stuff, everyone.

Thanx for the votes of confidence and kind words, guys! I hope I can live up to your expectations.

(I should note, however, that while technically I'm "Project Leader" for all this, Christian Moore has ultimate authority over everything the Decipher RPG staff does. At least that gives me someone to blame for anything that doesn't work out! )

Alas, I have no sneak peeks to give anyone as yet. So far all our work has been on the two Trek books to be released in August/September, and on core rules-oriented stuff. I should know more after my upcoming L.A. trip.

I have, however, been joyously re-reading Tolkien's works, annotating them as I go with notes for the game, and practicing my Elvish calligraphy.

Steve Long
    P.S.: Oh, yeah -- the VIPER book. Finished that up two months ago (my part of it, anyway). Still waiting on Cybergames/Hero to (a) survive, and (b) ask me to turn it in.

P.P.S: Oh, yeah #2 -- the Wheel Of Time RPG. Well, I wrote a bunch of it before leaving WOTC, and today finish up another 25,000 words freelance. I don't have any real control or authority over it, though. But I hope fans of the WOT enjoy it!

[This message has been edited by Steve Long (edited 03-21-2001).]

Smile

I personally can't wait! I love Middle-Earth, and I love Steve's work, so we're definately onto a winner! I'm not sure about the system though- maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think its very difficult to get a single system which can capture the feel of both sci-fi and fantasy. And Middle-Earth and Star Trek are both completely different kettle of fish. Still, I have faith in the LUG boys

One thing which would need to be examined is the magic system. Magic is very rare in Middle-Earth, and I think it should be limited to the Maiar, and the most powerful Elves. Plus, it should be simple and in your face (we're talking fireballs!), not overly complex. Still, that just my opinion

I'd love to see more done with the fourth age in the new version. ICE covered mainly 1640, which was a good period, but you couldn't change much in world politics. The fourth age is certainly more accessible to more casual fans, who may not be entirely familiar with the chronology of Middle-Earth (especially those who come to the game solely because of the film). Still, as already mentioned, I'd like to be able to set my game in any period (First Age, anyone)

For the record, I like Rolemaster- its a lot more difficult to keep your players alive, but its VERY versatile. Over 100 professions, and stats for EVERY creature as a PC?!? I love it!! Never used more than about 10 of them, but thats not the point........

Thanks Steve for answering my questions so promptly.

(At Hero's rate of publishing, I'll expect to see Viper in 2004)

Middle earth to me was the perfect blend of High Fantasy and Low magic.

All the Magic Items were artifacts and Wizards were rare. A strong sword arm was your best friend.

The new system needs to support both epic campaigns (like the Novels themselves) and day to day adventuring stuff. And for goodness sakes, wizards should be rare. In D&D, particularly in the Realms, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 20+ wizard, and a warrior with a different magic sword for every day of the week.

A hedge magic system, with minor spells along the lines of healing, birthing cows, minor telekinesis, tricks like that might be more useful than "World shattering spells."

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Runebear:
    Still, as already mentioned, I'd like to be able to set my game in any period (First Age, anyone)
    </font>
    Exactly! I hope it allows for any age. I would like to fight beside Finrod Felagund, Gil-galad, or Aragorn.
    I wonder how the new system is going to handle the decreasing power of the heros. 300 points first age, 200 points second age, 125 points third age?

If anyone is keeping a list, put me down for a first edition.

I'd like to try adventuring in the Second Age, or early Third Age. We don't have as much detail on the history of that time period as we do on the First and late Third. Looking at the chronology of Middle Earth, there are literally thousands of years that gamers can set their own stories in.

------------------

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Okay will the system just be working with the Novels LotR and the new movies. Or will they include the various other books like all that info of the Heroes in the second age in the Silmarillion?

Oh and being a Fan of WoT aswell as LotR, I hope both systems kick ass and have a wealth of uptodate (esp. WoT current books) background info!

Way to go Steve!

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

I am a fan of the ICE MERP, but I am looking forward to see what Decipher can do with it. Especially since I now know Mr. Long will be affiliated with the planning process. Success, gentlemen!

I share everyone's concern about making a ME game that properly re-creates the high fantasy/uncommon magic feel of Tolkien. Magic in ME is rare, and usually subtle; it will require equally subtle rules and guidelines to simulate it properly.

Still, a close reading of the novels reveals more magic than one might suspect or recall. There aren't going to be any fireballs, that's for damn sure, but I'm not prepared to say at this time that we'll limit magic to the Maiar and elves.

As for First Age/Silmarillion stuff -- it's my understanding that our rights are only for Hobbit/LOTR at present. That's not to say we can't, perhaps, draw on other books for information and inspiration, but unless the rights situation changes (or I'm mistaken), I doubt we could produce a full-blown "Silmarillion Sourcebook" or the like. But for all I know things could already have changed; it takes a while for corporate info to trickle out to me in N.C.

Re: rules -- whether one rules set could, unchanged, work adequately both ST and ME is a big philosophical design issue that we probably shouldn't be debating here. But remember that I referred only to core rules, not necessarily entire rules sets. In much the same way that Owen had to make some significant changes to the ICON core rules to do Dune, I'd expect to do the same to any core rules that we create for adaptation for ST and ME. For ME we need plenty of things ST doesn't -- magic rules, swordfighting rules, fear rules, different (or at least re-named and re-defined) Attributes, and on and on. I want every element of the game to reflect the setting and/or contribute to the feel of the game as much as possible!

Steve Long

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Long:
    I share everyone's concern about making a ME game that properly re-creates the high fantasy/uncommon magic feel of Tolkien. Magic in ME is rare, and usually subtle; it will require equally subtle rules and guidelines to simulate it properly.

Still, a close reading of the novels reveals more magic than one might suspect or recall. There aren't going to be any fireballs, that's for damn sure, but I'm not prepared to say at this time that we'll limit magic to the Maiar and elves.
    Steve Long
    </font>
    That's some good news to read. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is what created my love of reading. Its nice to see the RPG being picked up again and being put with a good team of authors. Good luck

Shawn Merrow

Thumbs up

Hey Steve Long,

Congrats on heading the LOTR project. I am sure you'll do a good project as ICE have done in the past.

And yes, I have played with RM using the MERP material. The system itself is no biggie and did not frighten me. You're talking to then-14-year-old kid who have read the entire Star Fleet Battles rulebook.

Just a suggestion: don't make casting subtle magic a very long process during combat. That's the one thing I do not like about MERP/RM

Again, congrats. I am looking forward to getting the product the same time I watch the first of three movies.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Long:

"So far all our work has been on the two Trek books to be released in August/September, and on core rules-oriented stuff. I should know more after my upcoming L.A. trip."

Two Trek books in Aug/Sept.?! Double WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"