Thread: Ten years of running this site

Smile Ten years of running this site

Today it is on the day ten years since the forum came back up with me running it.

A lot of plans of what to do with the site have not been completed. The "new" website is still down as it can't show the template we had, or any of the ones I've tried. The activity have slowly dwindled, and I guess not having a new Trek series and no one publishing any RPG isn't helping. The Lord of the Ring forums feels a bit hidden on the site. As it look, for the foreseeable future when I play or run again, it won't be Trek or LotR; and my mind is currently on other RPGs, so when I post it is more in response to other posts.

But I love this site. Back when I Don ran this place, it was a green garden on the Internet for me. Well, it still is; but I tend to be a bit too busy watering, replant and weed it. It is the closest thing I have to a home on the net. I'm a member on a couple of other niche sites, where I have posted once in a while. But beside a Swedish roleplaying forum, I haven't found any general roleplaying site I like; beside one post one one of them, the "Other Roleplaying Games" part of this site is where I post about other games in English.

I have been thinking about the future for the site. One thought has been to let someone else carry the torch for a while. But I've seen too many sites getting into problems when there isn't enough technical knowhow. I would most likely just end up keeping the workload, and just lose control of where we are heading. While I want to not having "Other Roleplaying Games" to be a hidden forum, I don't want it to take over the forum. When someone comes here, I want them to see posts about Star Trek gaming; not a lot of new posts about other games, drowning out any posts about Trek. One idea I have been playing around with in my mind is to break out "Other Roleplaying Games", and possible the Lord of the Rings forums, to seemingly another site; but sharing the userbase and forums like "General Chat". Sort of a "One building, two entrances" kind of thing. After logging in, one would be able to join any part of the other site if one want to. But I have no clue if it is even feasible from a maintainable point of view.

So... Toward the next decade, warp five. Engage.

Wouldn't have missed these years for the world mate.

We may bbe thin on the ground but quite frankly the quality of the regulars and the fact that this place is STILL going despite the lack of on screen support is testament to the quality and magnetism.

And sure some of us are still writing product

(I am determined to finish this Bajoran book i tell you!)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    We may bbe thin on the ground but quite frankly the quality of the regulars and the fact that this place is STILL going despite the lack of on screen support is testament to the quality and magnetism.
    Being able to do a search based on last time someone updated the page while being logged in; 51 regulars have been here during the last month, 31 during the last week. And beside the fact that doesn't include those not still visiting, but not login in, we are just coming out of the summer lulls which almost always means lower activity. So while not being as many as we were back when LUG or Decipher still published books, there are quite a bunch of us still here. More like running under cloak than thin on the ground

And sure some of us are still writing product
    Sure is; both as products and separate posts. Also, when some have a question either a quick search or new thread seems to answer most questions rather quickly.

(I am determined to finish this Bajoran book i tell you!)
    Looking forward to read it when it is done

Let me say thanks so much for keeping this resource alive, there is a wealth of fan created content and conversation that has proven useful for the 2.5 series that I have run with the ICON system. And it goes to more than that, most everyone are some damn good blokes! It would be awful if this resource wasn't still around.

Have you thought of creating a facebook page for this, to attract new blood?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Let me say thanks so much for keeping this resource alive, there is a wealth of fan created content and conversation that has proven useful for the 2.5 series that I have run with the ICON system. And it goes to more than that, most everyone are some damn good blokes! It would be awful if this resource wasn't still around.

Have you thought of creating a facebook page for this, to attract new blood?
    While I have facebook, I'm probably logged in there less in a year than most I know is during one day. So I had to look up what a facebook page is at all. Sounds like a good idea. Creating the page would require an image for the top of the page, and a text. But would it be useful if not kept updated?

I just wanted to say that I am very appreciative of the work you are doing to keep this site alive, Magnus, and for everybody else for keeping it as nice as it was when I joined.

I very seldom contribute now, what with me not playing much anymore (my old gaming group drifted away to raise their kids, and the co-workers with whom I play an occasional D&D game were very surprised to learn there was more than one Star Trek series, and are mostly familiar with the Trekverse through the Abrams movies), but I have many good memories linked to this site. And, having visited other forums since I joined (TrekRPG is the first forum I ever contributed to), I realise how friendly this one is compared to most of the rest of Internet.

And someday I will get around to post a writeup of some races I created when I was game mastering Star Trek (just not today, don't feel like it ).

Let us keep going, steady as she goes.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Mostly I echo the posts of C5 and Dan. And of course that of Magnus.

This site has been the first forum I ever joined on the Internet. And to this day is the one I cherish the most.
    This is - like for Magnus - something I'd come close to call home.

Having you, Magnus, take over back in the day, when Don stepped down, gave me great joy. I was very, very sad when he announced that he would close it down. It surviving due to your initiative was a pleasant surprise.

I really can't believe that it has been ten years since those days, when we counted down (what was this last post is a winner thread called back then?!^^).

As I said: I'm very happy and pleased that the forum is still here and that you keep on carrying this wonderful site. As Dan put it: Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Thanks, Magnus.

Oh, and even if the Other Games subforums are more active, as long as the right people come (back) here and talk about stuff, gaming related, Trek related or whatever else moves or motivates them, I'll still be here, lurking, reading, sometimes posting even

Take care - and this wonderful community alive.
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the kind words

Been busy for a few days, getting a Swedish rpg forum back up after a hard ware crash. Beside the point the moderators there can't read the message if someone reports a post, it is up and running again. As I got a new rpg related PDF today, I wrote a bit about it here instead.