Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owen-Aries Class deckplans.

Owen-Aries Class deckplans.

Hey Owen,

I see that the Aries class front page is up on your site but the links don't lead anywhere. Any timeframe for when you'll be done the plans?

Thanks!
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Not sure what you're talking about, Chris... I've never done anything with an Aries class that I know of. 'Course, I start so many project that are indefinite WIPs that I may have forgotten it. I know that some of my Rising Sun pages mistakenly have a title of Aerie class, but that's a holdover. Can you post a link to this Aries class front page so I can see what it is you're looking at?

Not a problem. Here you go Owen.

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/deckplans/aerie/
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

I noticed I was calling it Aries when it's the Aerie's I'm talking about. That could be part of the problem. /fail

- Carl Zwanzig

I'm in the process of redrawing them to M20 standards. I wasn't aware that the originals weren't still up. I'll replace them soonest. Thanks for pointing that out.

OK, I've uploded the WiP pages, with the most;y-complete deckplans. some of them, as you can see, need a bit more work, but most of the layout is done. the deck pages themselves are in dire need of work, as they all have the base text block from Deck 0. I'll try to get back onto it, but I have a whole lot of ships halfway done as well as three more netbooks which I'm working on (the Klingon book, complting Iki's Medical book and helping Dan out on the Timefleet book).

In the meantime, I present the Aerie class, a Work-in-Progress: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/deckplans/m20/aerie/

Nice job.

I always rather liked that one as an unarmed civilain vessel. But The utilitarian Federation Spacefleet being what it is, I would have thought that there might be a number of variants on this, from a small freighter, colonial support vessel, passenger liner and even a VIP transport (for Federation councillors) All of which would easily fit the specs and deckplans with only minor modifications... I also rather see Starfleet using a number of these for personnel transfer and academy training purposes.

That said. A 3-deck height Holodeck? Seems a bit of a waste of space as I can see no need for the additional height, even in astrometrics (which seemed the first thought for a research vessel), a standard size holodeck could simply project the illusion of a large astrometric lab.

Have we had staship specs for this?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Stats? Only in CODA Starships - wouldn't be hard to extract ICON stats from that, though. Yeah, I can see all sorts of variants, bot Starfleet and civilian. The holodeck was established in Dark Frontier, and I posited that they merely pulled one from the Galaxy class programme, so I went for a standard one as seen in the Galaxy class plans. Standard ships at the beginning may not have had them at all, and much smaller later on. I can see the space being used for a variety of things - lounges and a larger shuttlebay on a diplomatic transport, more cargo space and/or passenger cabins on a colonial transport, et cetera. :ater, I may try to come up with variant plans for a number of purposes.

Very nice, Owen.

I've been slowly developing a colony-support-based series, and was going to use a Pleiades class ship as the base of operations - but you've inspired me to instead use an Aerie-class.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Colony based huh? I have been having trek Colony type thoughts too.

I have a nice thought about a standard colonial ship being used as a planetary lander where it would then serve as a support for the colony. So after transporting the initial group of colonists the shipp effectively takes up residence with warp core serving as power plant, the bridge becoming Colony Ops and as the colonists move into their pre-fab houses other functions open up. So the sick-bay is effectively a hospital, as the cargo bays empty they can be repurposed into classrooms or storage, and crew quarters can become vistors quarters. Maybe a top access shuttlebay...

In my mind I was envsioning somethimg along the lines of the old Colony Ship from the old Birth of the Federation PC game;
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Mine was actually going to be a "steal" from the sci-fi game 2300AD, if you're familiar with it. The setting will be a couple of years after the Dominion War, with the reopening of the wormhole, and the PCs were going to be supporting the first Federation colony in the Gamma Quadrant. The planet was going to be pretty much Aurore, from the 2300AD game: terrestrial world tidally locked around a brown dwarf in orbit around a binary star, K and M types.

We wanted to do a low-level exploration game, where exploring the planet was as big a thing as exploring the star system. Transporters make this difficult, so having the planet orbiting a brown dwarf gives me an excuse to have highly energetic Van Allen belts around both the planet and its primary, making transporter usage difficult and dangerous at best. It means we can do adventures where a good deal of the adventure is travelling across the alien world in actual vehicles, camping at night and risking encounters with the local fauna, etc.

The ship will essentially be there for exploration support, search-and-rescue, defence, etc. The PCs will be the senior Starfleet officers on the colony, so they'll be dealing with a lot of civilians, as well as their own subordinates on the ship. We're toying with each player playing two characters - one of them the Starfleet senior crew, the other one of the civilians: engineers, scientists, etc. They would be involved in the planetary exploration, primarily, while the Starfleet crew would be "doing stuff" in space, if that makes sense.

I think it'll be fun...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

Sounds rather good. Definately keep Starfleet crew to a minimum... Although you still need a red hirt or two. And it also sounds like you need an Argo or two...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

AFAIK you can't transport people through an entire planet the size of Earth, so instead of having the belts interfere with the signal per se, maybe they interfere with the satellite network they relay the signals through. This could also be accomplished with the first episode starting with the planet being hit by an unknown interstellar object: they showed up with enough to survive and build til the next shipment, but off the bat half of their stuff is wrecked and they have to supply far-flung surveyors by air instead of by signal-relay transporter. If you have, say, six teams/settlements to check on and only one or two relay satellites operating then they have to make a choice as to what to do first and where.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    I have a nice thought about a standard colonial ship being used as a planetary lander where it would then serve as a support for the colony. So after transporting the initial group of colonists the shipp effectively takes up residence with warp core serving as power plant, the bridge becoming Colony Ops and as the colonists move into their pre-fab houses other functions open up. So the sick-bay is effectively a hospital, as the cargo bays empty they can be repurposed into classrooms or storage, and crew quarters can become vistors quarters. Maybe a top access shuttlebay...
    There's the Erewon class...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    AFAIK you can't transport people through an entire planet the size of Earth, so instead of having the belts interfere with the signal per se, maybe they interfere with the satellite network they relay the signals through. This could also be accomplished with the first episode starting with the planet being hit by an unknown interstellar object: they showed up with enough to survive and build til the next shipment, but off the bat half of their stuff is wrecked and they have to supply far-flung surveyors by air instead of by signal-relay transporter. If you have, say, six teams/settlements to check on and only one or two relay satellites operating then they have to make a choice as to what to do first and where.
    I do like the idea of them not having all their starting gear - definitely keeping that!

As far as the transporters go, I'm trying to avoid a situation where they say: "Oh, we need to get from 'Sydney' to 'Ulaanbator'. No need to cross 10,000 km of unknown territory and brave aggressive fauna and discover idyllic colony sites and dodge erupting volcanos...the USS Lollipop, our support ship, can just beam us up from one spot, do half an orbit and beam us down to the new spot!"

The idea would be that the transporter would be kind of like it was used in season one of ENT - rarely, and nervously. Maybe have a few attempts at beaming cargo fail miserably, with the entire colony stock of ice-cream reduced to scattered atoms or something to drive home the point. In fact...that could be a way of wiping out half their gear to begin with!