Thread: quantum induction cores

quantum induction cores

I have long held the Space Dock list of warp cores was inadequate(too large in SU's compared to too little power production, I understand this is to balance the game) and then stumbled onto the Star Trek Renaissance tech manual web site, and they introduced the Quantum Induction Core[QIC] (I won't copy his work as I don't have permission, look up his site and read it for yourself) which for me reminded me of the Star Gate ZMP.
    (I am paraphrasing)
    QIC introduced in the late 2300's (prime universe) the QIC is the next step for starship power generation. They utilize a eleventh-dimensional special fold membrane and a benamyte crystal (a derivative of dilithium). When the membrane is energized it tends adheres to the crystal, causing zero point energy to be released. As long as the crystal remains undamaged, the membrane is rendered inert, and the reaction is contained the power production will continue. A simple forcefield is required around the center of the core to contain harmful radiation.
    A Quantum Induction is self-sustaining, using the energy it taps into to perpetuate itself. The induction, however, requires an initial matter/antimatter reaction to start.

1500+ cochrane = 600 power, the equivalent to a Class 12/r m/am reactor (as in the reactor a Galaxy class has)straight out of canon.

micro QIC (1500+ cochrane) 600pwr 10su (specifically designed for small craft, especially shuttles)

Mk1 QIC (4500+ cochrane) 1800pwr 30su

MK2 QIC (7500+ cochrane) 3000pwr 50su

MK3 QIC (10500+ cochrane) 4200pwr 70su

all require a special Plasma Injection System (Federation/Romulan co-developed technology)
    PIS (exomagnetic) SCx5 extra power distribution cost 30pwr/1SU

I basically took the smallest warp core for the micro QIC and extrapolated from there (to mirror the size of StarGates ZPM's).

Note, I would also suggest in some ships installing dual or even tri QIC's, as the vessels advance in technology they will need a quantum leap in power production and IMHO the cores would get smaller not larger.(this won't suit balanced game play in RPG's but it's the way it would go in real life)

So what does the forum think?
    Last edited by WaveMan; 07-11-2015 at 03:20 AM.

I can see purists of Space Dock would be see the above QIC reactor's as OP for their size so I have given it some thought and came up with this

Alternate QIC
    first generation MkIex QIC (2500+ cochrane) 1000pwr 120su introduced in 2385
    There was also a prototype compact QIC made specifically for the Indomitable-class
    prototype QIC MKIex(compact) (1250+ cochrane) 500pwr 60su, introduced in 2385.

and after 2390's
    micro QIC (750+ cochrane) 300pwr 30su (specifically designed for small craft, especially shuttles. These cores are the same size as the standard shuttles M/AM reactor but with the output of the 6/k M/AM reactor)

MK1-c QIC (2250+ cochrane) 900 pwr 90su

Mk1 QIC (4500+ cochrane) 1800pwr 120su

MK2 QIC (7500+ cochrane) 3000pwr 130su (sized as a 12/r M/AM reactor)

MK3 QIC (10500+ cochrane) 4200pwr 140su

This makes the QIC the same size as a M/AM reactor, though with substantially increased power output. As noted above these QIC require a specialized PIS

PIS (exomagnetic) SCx6 extra power distribution cost 30pwr/1SU
    Last edited by WaveMan; 09-02-2016 at 08:58 PM.