Thread: shield enhansment

shield enhansment

I noticed in Space Dock (page 130-133) in the shield description section several shield modifications that could be integrated into a shield grid and thought the natural progression is to develop enhancement technology for any shield generator.

I won't add metaphasic, widespread implementation by 2380's and by 2400ad all starfleet vessels have regenerating/metaphasic shields., and as per Space Dock this mod doesn't increase SU's or power use.

Multiadaptive shield enhancement, this unit ties into the shield grid and modifies the shield to act as a Cloak 6 (+6 difficulty to detect vessel) while ever the shields are active. Obviously this modification would be inappropriate for most StarFleet ships as it violates the Treaty of Algeron, though after the destruction of Romulus in one time line the Treaty would be amended....
    SU=sc x 3
    Pwr= normal shield power cost + scx3

Beta-Tachyon pulse and anti proton enhancement (only available after 31st century and by this time all vessels would be using this enhancement [not canon but I reckon it would be the case], though very limited usage could be justified after 2378 and the return of Voyager) this powerful enhancement strengthens the shield grid by re-modulating it to emit a Beta-Tachyon pulse and then projecting anti-proton beams into the grid.
    This increases the shields Protection and Threshold by a factor of TEN.
    Power cost 30/rnd when the enhancer is active.
    SU=sc x 10
    This modification was shown to Voyager by the female Q, and allowed Voyager passage to the Continuum.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beta-tachyon
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...Grey_(episode)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-08-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    the writers seemed willing to ignore it (USS Defiant) when it suited them
    No, they didn't. The Federation had special dispensation to use the cloak on the Defiant, and even had a Romulan advisor on board for a time. Her name was SubCommander T'Rul and was played by Martha Hackett.

edited
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-08-2014 at 03:42 PM.

No, you said they ignored it. Far from it. They explicitly mentioned it and worked around it. With the Sao Paolo (renamed the Defiant) I can see the Romulans, now allied with the Federation in the Dominion War, continuing that permission.

what ever mate, I wasn't trying to start an argument. There you go I edited it.

As far as the "ignore " part goes, yeah sorry I should have said "IMHO they ignored cannon, writing in special dispensation (via the Romulan officer posting on board) so the plot suited the story rather then be true to canon (as every one knows the Treaty of Algeron expressly prohibits Federation star ships from utilizing cloaking technology)". I do find it interesting though on the USS Defiant (second incarnation) the cloak wasn't supposed to be used in the Alpha quadrant (a part of the agreement with the Romulans allowing the Defiant to have a cloaking device) yet Sisko ignored orders and did in fact use it in the Alpha quadrant ("don't worry we wont tell the Romulans" is what I remember him saying)(another example of the writers changing the rules to suit the story [a story line they put in themselves, as in the writers, when introducing the cloak on the defiant in the first place] . Writers write story's that will sell and usually only loosely stick to canon, which always causes tension with fans as they almost always want consistency.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.