Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-starfleet crew campaign set during the Typhon Pact /The Fall books - help wanted

I've been running a Serenity campaign using the original rules with only a few tweaks for over three years. I find the Cortex system works well and captures the feel of the Firefly series very well.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

To be honest our group has thrown the Serenity system at a number of settings over the years, ranging from Firefly right through to a Warhammer Fantasy campaign, and it has handled everything we have thrown at it with very little issue.

It's a solid system, but I am interested in learning you've been able to get it to work for fantasy seeing as how the rules do not include a magic system.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    It's a solid system, but I am interested in learning you've been able to get it to work for fantasy seeing as how the rules do not include a magic system.
    In my campaign, we used improvisational magic. Our magician, played by a talented poet, would make up and recite a spell, roll the dice for her magic skill, and I would describe the results, after rolling more dice for an opponent's "saving throw" if necessary. It was a lot of fun, and there was no time wasted looking up rules or tables.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    In my campaign, we used improvisational magic. Our magician, played by a talented poet, would make up and recite a spell, roll the dice for her magic skill, and I would describe the results, after rolling more dice for an opponent's "saving throw" if necessary. It was a lot of fun, and there was no time wasted looking up rules or tables.
    Not surprisingly we used a similar work around.

We created a new skill group called Magic which you could only purchase if you had a new asset we made called "Magic User" (we were REALLY inventive wern't we). To cast a spell was simply another test, roll skill+attribute vs the defence (using Willpower and discipline in place of Agility and Athletics/Dodge) and see what happens. The different branches of magic each had there own specialty under the skill (as it was warhammer based we had all of the fantasy lores plus Divine as specialty groups. After that its just down to the player describing what they wanted to do, and the GM deciding if there were any factors that would either step the dfficulty up or down.

A little bit more crunchy than Sarge's solution, but we didn't have a talented poet to hand

We are using an identical system in the current Trek RP to deal with telepaths and the like.

Regards

Matt

I like the use of Willpower + Discipline to resist a magical attack. Very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    I like the use of Willpower + Discipline to resist a magical attack. Very clever.
    Thank you,

We tried a couple of different ways of doing it but the Will+Dis for non-direct damage magic effects worked well. Obviously against direct damage the standard combat rules were able to handle it fine, we just changed the attack role to represent that magic was being used.

Regards

Matt