Thread: Fighting Style Assistance Tellurian Stick Fighting, and Sivaoan Tooth and Claw

Fighting Style Assistance Tellurian Stick Fighting, and Sivaoan Tooth and Claw

Tellurian Stick Fighting is a fighting style that uses primitive weaponry. This fighting style would be used by someone that is not afraid to use dirty tactics. In fact the main person using it will actually be using crutches instead of a stick. Possible techniques include Leg Sweeps, Throat Strikes, and Flip (Advanced Maneuver). I could see Orion's using this style or similar races. Tellurians are only mentioned in passing including Telurian (spelled with 1 L) in Telurian Plague. So this is a creation that is outside of the realm of what has been seen on the Star Trek Series.

Sivaoan Tooth and Claw is a fighting style I am helping one of my players develop for their character. The Sivaoan race comes from the Star Trek TOS novel Uhura's Song. The race is a catlike race think similar to Catian from Star Trek Online or Regulan from CODA. They are highly agile and implement nature into most of their technological advancements. At a young age they engage in quarrels with their siblings that strengthens their bodies and minds for combat.

This fighting style would utilize their claws and bite as well as pouncing abilities. Some ideas stem from Tiger Claw and Tien-hsueh Strike from Kung Fu. Nausicaan fighting also comes to mind for the bites and bear hug attack.

I have trouble coming up with the mechanics for fighting styles in this system. I appreciate any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by guardiankrillin View Post
    Tellurian Stick Fighting is a fighting style that uses primitive weaponry. This fighting style would be used by someone that is not afraid to use dirty tactics. In fact the main person using it will actually be using crutches instead of a stick. Possible techniques include Leg Sweeps, Throat Strikes, and Flip (Advanced Maneuver). I could see Orion's using this style or similar races. Tellurians are only mentioned in passing including Telurian (spelled with 1 L) in Telurian Plague. So this is a creation that is outside of the realm of what has been seen on the Star Trek Series.

Sivaoan Tooth and Claw is a fighting style I am helping one of my players develop for their character. The Sivaoan race comes from the Star Trek TOS novel Uhura's Song. The race is a catlike race think similar to Catian from Star Trek Online or Regulan from CODA. They are highly agile and implement nature into most of their technological advancements. At a young age they engage in quarrels with their siblings that strengthens their bodies and minds for combat.

This fighting style would utilize their claws and bite as well as pouncing abilities. Some ideas stem from Tiger Claw and Tien-hsueh Strike from Kung Fu. Nausicaan fighting also comes to mind for the bites and bear hug attack.

I have trouble coming up with the mechanics for fighting styles in this system. I appreciate any assistance.
    Hmmm. Tellurian with two L's is an old SF term for Terran, based on an ancient word for earth, Tellus. I think EE Doc Smith used it, among others. Not a real source of confusion, since only us old fuddy-duddies know the term, but I'd stick with the single L. For the stick-fighting I could see different schools using 1 or 2 crutches. Perhaps the back-story could involve a great teacher who was disabled and need to incorporate his crutches into his defensive routines, or perhaps it began with beggars who feigned the need for crutches or actually needed them, for their begging.

That sounds reasonable, the player that is going to use the Stick fighting grew up on a failed colony as a child. He is the only survivor that is known to exist from the colony. His sister was the final one to die in his arms as the away team arrived to save them. The planet was a volcanic planet and he kept them alive through his at the time limited knowledge of engineering as a child. He was keeping the Bio-enclosure environmental systems running until the system crashed. They resorted to environmental suits which also began to fail by the time a rescue attempt was performed. The results were an on-going medical condition due to the extreme environmental exposure that was debilitating and has left him using crutches for the better part of the past decade. He was probably taught by someone in the colony before the horrific nightmare began.

What mechanics would you use for either of the mentioned styles? Such as damage, Target # values, and or special abilities?

I hope some assistance can be provided I will be picking this game back up by late January early February. I have never pieced together created a new fighting style in these mechanics and I am unsure where to begin. I will be working on both of the fighting styles listed.

Judging from the cat fights I've seen you'd probably want some mixture of iaijutsu and greco-roman wrestling
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'm afraid I try to avoid the Advanced HTH rules and run a much rules-lighter game, so I can't help with any rules-heavy stuff.