Thread: Starfleet Academy Graduation Ceremony

Starfleet Academy Graduation Ceremony

Hello all,

After two years and 30 game sessions, my Starfleet Academy Campaign is close to be completed.

Would anyone have suggestions about how I could make it special ?

I will probably print nice copies of the Graduation certificates for each player.

Also I don't know much details about about how such a graduation works in a military setting (I assume Starfleet drew inspiration from some human traditions as usual).

Do you still wear your Cadet uniform ? When do you get your Starfleet Ensign uniform ?

I'd imagine the climax of the ceremony would be them handing them the Ensign's uniform and informing them officially of their next posting. You should probably finagle a way for each of the players to have to give an inspirational speech or two. Some sort of drama surrounding the uncertainty of their new assignments should happen.

Of course, if this is going to be a whole session, you might want to figure out a sudden interruption to the ceremony that the cadets need to resolve.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 01-25-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

From what I've seen in the movies, they would wear their cadet's uniform - full dress version. There would be stirring speeches about the finest traditions of Starfleet. The Valedictorian would give his/her address. There would be a march-past, bands playing marches, and the calling of each graduate to receive his/her commission. At the end, they would all throw their hats (if they wear any) into the air and cheer. Afterward, there would be parties, official and... otherwise. While they probably wouldn't receive their actual uniforms at the ceremony (just imagine the hassle that would create), they would receive their new rank pips and diploma.

In the movies, anyway. And of course, the guy who everyone thought would wash out arrives just in time to get top honours (yeah, as if!). All very melodramatic.

Anyone knows how these things are handled IRL in places like West Point or Saint Cyr ?