Thread: 22nd-century Space Stations

22nd-century Space Stations

Has anyone put together statistics for Earth Starfleet Starbases or space stations constructed in the 22nd century?

In the book Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years, it mentions that Starbase 1 was constructed on a planetoid in the Algeron system, but that it was subsequently destroyed by Romulans, leading to the Earth-Romulan War. This Starbase was apparently constructed on a planetary surface rather than in orbit or in deep space, which is (I believe) a departure from later Starbase construction protocols (i.e. built in space).

What do you suppose the ICON statistics would be for a typical 22nd-century Earth-built Starbase? Would it be armed? If so, how well-armed? What other features would it possess? What kinds of vessels/vehicles would be assigned? What would the crew compliment look like? Would there be non-Starfleet personnel (i.e. aliens, civilians, military [MACOs], etc.)?

I planned a Series years ago involved construction of a Starbase and the crew assigned to it, but that never "took off," so to speak. Given the updated [albeit non-canon] material regarding Starfleet Starbases in the 2150s, I felt my interest piqued once again. I was thinking of using the rules in the Deep Space Nine RPG Core Rulebook, but wasn't sure how appropriate that would be for a 22nd-century station.

Any suggestions are, as always, most welcome.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 02-07-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Starbase 4

Here's what I've put together using the rules presented in the DS9 Core rulebook:

Starbase 4

starbase-theultimatecomputer-remastered.jpg

Type: Service

Commissioning Date: 2158

Hull Characteristics

Size/Structure: 3/standard Starfleet “mushroom” structure
    Resistance: 4 [+10] (polarized hull plating [5 pwr/rd])
    Structural Points: 225
    Docking: Docking ports for up to three ships of Size 4 or smaller are available; larger ships must enter orbit around the station.

Personnel Characteristics

Crew/Inhabitants/Capacity: 114/36/4,850 [6 pwr/rd]
    Entertainment: 3 [9 pwr/rd]

Systems Characteristics

Computers: 4 [4 pwr/rd]
    Transporters: 2 personnel, 4 cargo [3 pwr/rd]
    Power: 300

Sensor Systems

Long-Range Sensors: +0/8 ly [6 pwr/rd]
    Lateral Sensors: +1/0.5 ly [4 pwr/rd]
    Sensors Skill: 4
    Internal Security: 4

Weapons Systems

Phase Cannons
    Range: 10/3,000/10,000/30,000
    Arc: All (720 degrees)
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Damage: 10
    Power: [10]

Photon Torpedoes
    Number: 400
    Launchers: Six launchers covering all arcs around the station
    Arc: All (720 degrees)
    Range: 10/100,000/500,000/1,500,000
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Damage: 14
    Power: [5]

Weapons Skill: 4

Defensive Systems

None

Ships: 4 NX-type shuttlepods; 6 inspection pods

Notes/Description: The fourth in a series of new starbases constructed by the United Earth Starfleet, Starbase 4 was constructed in the Canopus system, near what would become the Romulan Neutral Zone. It services Starfleet vessels, but is also available to those of friendly species, including the Vulcans and Andorians (among other). Primarily a service station, Starbase 4 is also a bustling center of commerce in the region; it is unofficially [though extremely well-] protected by Andorians and Rigelians, both of whom benefit greatly from the increased trade in the region.

What do you think? Appropriate? Too advanced? Not advanced enough?

I debated whether it should have deflector shields or not, but chose against as it's still an Earth Starfleet station and not a UFP station.

Comments welcome.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 02-08-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Starbases often seem to have both orbital and planetary components. See Starbase 11 in TOS, which definitely had both.

Thhis design is a modification of Masao Okazaki's design for Starbase 47, Vanguard Station, from the Vanguard novels. The remastered team reduced the size for Starbases 4 and 6, but it's still larger than what you depict in your stats. Masao's original design could dock Constitution class staships internally. The version in the remastered TOS could not, but could dock Constitution class starships externally. Masao's original Vanguard Station and rematered TOS's Starbase 6 are shown attatched.

Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 02-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Just as contemporary naval bases have parts that are resolutely on land and parts that stick out into the water, or air force or army bases are not single buildings but many buildings throughout an area (some of which is apparently 'empty'), I imagine a 'starbase' is actually a number of facilities throughout an area, or spread over some or all of a planetary surface. So, for example, when the Enterprise visits Starbase 84 and docks with the space station, the space station is part of Starbase 84 but not the whole extent of it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So how big would you make it? I have trouble estimating things like that.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 02-09-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Depends on the base and its function. Something like Starbase 74 or 84 might encompass large numbers of orbital trajectories around their home planet, containing dozens of facilities like drydocks, office and research stations (like Regula One), relay stations, baryon-sweeping facilities, and materials storage/processing facilities. Remember the panorama of Utopia Planitia? Deep-space starbases surrounding planets might contain whole continents in their nominal territory, if not the entire planetary surface. Generally speaking, I'd expect a starbase to be capable of resupplying and refurbishing two or three medium-size cruisers (Excelsior-class in TNG, Loknar-class in TOS) at once, while housing, feeding and entertaining (or treating, in the case of a medical emergency) their crews. A certain number of starbases would also be, theoretically, capable of housing and treating survivors of whole planetary disasters.

Not to say they're all going to be that size. A few are probably podunk little stations at the back-end of nowhere with a relay station or semi-manned satellite is tied to a dusty ground station made up of a few low-budget quonset huts.

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
    So how big would you make it? I have trouble estimating things like that.

mactavish out.
    Well, since we know the height of a Connie, and the one docked is the same distance as the station, just compare how many pixels high each is. Small bases, like Outposts would only have one or the other, but a full starbase would probably have both orbital and planetary facilities. I personally tend to use that as a dividing point between starbases and outposts.

(Sorry, I don't know why the board insists I edited your post when I just replied to it. !?!?!?!)