Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with running a game

Need Help with running a game

I know this is pretty open ... But I am looking for someone to post a step by step how to play the game ... from start to finish of a turn fully detailed guess it help me to see a example .. for both ground play and space combat or play

I am more of a visual learner ... I learn from seeing how it is played out ...if it is possible could someone email me ... I am trying to learn the rules so I could start a game for my friends

if you could send the answer to hobgoblin01@shaw.ca that be great thank you for taking the time to help me out

Thanks
    =/\= Korga =/\=

Take that torpedo turn it sideways and what?!

Yeah, it IS a pretty open question. Have you played many RPG's? Jumping into GMing an RPG without having played it is really quite a big jump, especially for a relative beginner. The best way to learn how to play CODA Star Trek, like any other game, is to play as a character in a game someone else is GMing. That way you get a feeling for the rules. If, on the other tentacle, you've played and or run other games, like D20, GURPS, or what-have-you, it's just a matter of becoming familiar with the specific rules set.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Yeah, it IS a pretty open question. Have you played many RPG's? Jumping into GMing an RPG without having played it is really quite a big jump, especially for a relative beginner. The best way to learn how to play CODA Star Trek, like any other game, is to play as a character in a game someone else is GMing. That way you get a feeling for the rules. If, on the other tentacle, you've played and or run other games, like D20, GURPS, or what-have-you, it's just a matter of becoming familiar with the specific rules set.
    Ya I am very interested in playing ... problem is no one here plays the game nor has the books.. I have played other RPG's ... but each time I was shown the steps... I would love to play as a character but looks like I am the only one that's goinjg to be able to GM ... so any help that can be provided would be great thank you
    =/\= Korga =/\=

Fortunately Koloth has a very nice site with the source books in PDF format: --Link removed due to it containing copyrighted material--
    Last edited by Cpt. Lundgren; 02-21-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Because to my knowledge, the source books are neither in the public domain nor do Koloth hold any license.
    "Bad thinking is punishable. Good thinking is quickly and easily rewarded."

So have any of you actually played the Dechiper trek ?.... would anyone be interested in showing a mock game ?..
    =/\= Korga =/\=

--Admin hat hat on--
    Please do not provied links to sites providing material they don't have the license nor the copyright to. If for no other reason, it puts this site in jeopordy.

This site is able to run because Paramount, CBS, Tolkien Enterprises and New Line allow people to create fan material under certain conditions (non-profit and it being held clear they hold the trademarks, so they don't have to defend them). Fan produced material is otherwise in a legal grey zone; but the source books, while mainly written by employees who are or were Star Trek fans, are licensed products and the copyright holders, to my knowledge, has not allowed them to be distributed.

...and the pages on the site that could have been of any use to this thread (as "how to play") was "under construction" and didn't contain any material.
    --Admin hat off--

Quote Originally Posted by Korga View Post
    So have any of you actually played the Dechiper trek ?.... would anyone be interested in showing a mock game ?..
    There are members still active on the forums that I know have run games with the Dechiper rules. But as the site has been quite slow for some time, not many check it every day.

While waiting for any of them to notice this thread, you can check out Tomcat's forum where there has been both Trek and LotR games where they has used the Dechiper rules http://rpg.avioc.org/boards/ (forum games and "live games" tend to be a bit difference due to the flow of the game).

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    There are members still active on the forums that I know have run games with the Dechiper rules. But as the site has been quite slow for some time, not many check it every day.

While waiting for any of them to notice this thread, you can check out Tomcat's forum where there has been both Trek and LotR games where they has used the Dechiper rules http://rpg.avioc.org/boards/ (forum games and "live games" tend to be a bit difference due to the flow of the game).
    Thanks you so much this will help a lot thank you thank you Thank you
    =/\= Korga =/\=

Oops apologies... The books are out of print but it looks like the license is still active. My bad. . However the point was that the narrator's guide has a pretty good example of play for a reference.

Yea, you are welcome to come and read through my stories.

I have two games in the Reading Room for Star Trek - Run Silent, Run Deep, and To Boldly Go. The latter is the follow-up campaign of the former with characters and ship the same, just advanced.

I need to explain the format of the Trek games - well ALL the games on my site: they are play-by-post and have had the pretty much the same group of players since 2003 when the Decipher boards were up and running (that's when we all met). Active games are in the Sci Fi or Fantasy rooms, and games on hiatus (or completed) are stored in the Reading Room. My board currently has the Registration feature deactivated, as I got tired of all of the spybots, or scammers that tried to set up accounts only to dump ad-junk on my page. So, if anyone wants to be able to login and see all the board features just send me a PM with a login name, password you want, and an email address.

Now, about the Trek games:

We tried something interesting with PbP to make sure crewmembers weren't interacting with one another indiscriminately. Essentially, I cut the ship up (and/or the planet) into different sections - Engineering, Medical, Bridge, etc. If the players PC was on the Bridge, he could only interact with PC/NPC's there and affect the narrative that was going on with the Bridge. In other words, a PC could not make a suggestion, have a conversation, or roll a test for anything in Engineering if they were on the Bridge. Now, they could use ship's comms to call another deck - or use the ship's computers to run a program that might aid, but that was the extent of their affective ability.

Make sense?

So if/when you read through those two stories, they might seem a bit disjointed where one scene in Engineering affects the scene on the Bridge/Main Story.

I hope I explained myself well enough.

Anyway, feel free to visit and read through. You will find more action in Run Silent Run Deep - we put the game on hiatus as TBG began to get active due to me getting into Star Wars. Someday we'll pick up where we left off.

You will also find another PbP game active on Real Roleplaying (http://www.realroleplaying.com/rmsmf/index.php) called the Last Anton. It has been going on for a number of years, too. I hope you get what you need to run your games, but you are welcome to send me messages with questions.

Lastly, I have an old post on here that had to do with Ship combat and sensors that I posted to help another player - maybe it will help you out? (http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...xplanation-plz)

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

LOL! I just saw that you were the one I replied to back in 2012! How ironic!

Maybe following those threads will give you a good refresher of the system.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePike View Post
    Oops apologies... The books are out of print but it looks like the license is still active. My bad. . However the point was that the narrator's guide has a pretty good example of play for a reference.
    Funny thing about copyrights is that they stick around for 50 years after the author's death - 75 years after the company is dissolved for commercially-owned copyrights. That means that (using the ICON system as an example), since WOTC acquired LUG the copyright on the ICON system books, completely aside from the Trek trademarked stuff (a whole different kettle of Antedeans), will continue for 75 years after WOTC eventually goes toes-up. Copyright is IMHO, overly protected in order to counteract piracy at the expense of what would otherwise be "fair use." This version of copyrights was originally to make sure authors and their estates/heirs could reasonably be protected in their rights to profit from the work. In the case of licensed works, once the licence has expired, a company is no longer permitted to profit, but their control still remains - a case of a recto-cranial inversion in the copyright laws.

It's even 70 and 80 years after the authors death in several countries. So basically, if it is a company behind it, assume it can't be shared unless explicitly stated otherwise (licensed material just doubles the headache in this regard, as it is copyrights of more than one company). LUG let the ownership of the non published material revert to the writers, so the that's how Steve Long could release Spacedock as fan material.

Makes you wonder how the Twilight folks let 50 shades of Gray slip under their noses considering the book started out as Twilight fan fiction.��

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePike View Post
    Makes you wonder how the Twilight folks let 50 shades of Gray slip under their noses considering the book started out as Twilight fan fiction.��
    Doesn't matter what it started as. The final product has no vampires, no werewolves, none of the characters, therefore, it's not technically "derivative".