Thread: Mercenary Series Idea

Mercenary Series Idea

I've been toying with a mercenary Series for years, and I think I might finally get to make it happen.

The year is either 2172, slightly more than a decade after the formation of the United Federation of Planets, or the early 23rd century... I haven't decided which just yet.

The Crew is led by Rigelian commander, T'Mek Sarl (NPC), a former officer in the Rigelian security service who fought several brush wars against various Kalar tribes. He grew tired of life on the ground, so resigned his commission, sold all of his holdings, and bought a small warp-capable shuttle with which he departed Rigel V forever.

Other crewmembers so far include:

Prel, a disavowed Vulcan intelligence operative (ala Enterprise episode "The Seventh") whose very existence was erased when the High Command fell after the discovery of Surak's katra and the recovery of the Kir'Shara. A master of deception, Prel is among those Vulcans who never really suppressed her emotions completely, and her time off-world has only exacerbated the situation. She is a skilled combatant, an expert with explosives, and has a real panache for infiltration and sabotage.

Zachariah Brown, an Alaskan native and Starfleet Academy washout, serves as the crew's quartermaster. Having left Earth in disgrace after getting booted from the Academy for honor violations, Brown pursued an ill-advised career as an arms merchant. He was left holding the bag with some Andorian separatists when his Orion "comrades" abandoned him after taking their money and leaving him with a bag of spare parts instead of the bicobalt explosives they were expecting. Loyal to a fault, Brown signed on with T'Mek when the Rigelian saved him from certain death at the hands of the Andorians with a well-timed transport off the surface of Andoria.

Jaret Sark, a Cardassian expatriate and deserter from the Central Command, served as a junior officer and engineer aboard a Cardassian patrol vessel. He ejected in an escape pod when his ship was attacked by a pair of Klingon birds of prey, leaving him the only survivor. Knowing that he would be either imprisoned or executed for dereliction of duty (rightly or otherwise), Sark used his remaining vesala to have a family friend help him stow away on a Ferengi merchant ship. Sark serves as T'Mek's engineer, a position for which he is well-suited and extremely appreciative. Like his colleagues, he is a trained combatant, skilled in both unarmed combat and with small arms.

Kurg, like Jaret Sark, was branded a traitor by his people. A Klingon of below average size and strength, Kurg managed to train as a pilot and receive a posting on one of his House's cargo ships. Kurg's dishonor and banishment occurred when he refused to fire on a Tellarite transport carrying civilians that had wandered into Klingon space. Though the ship's commander was his cousin, and though his cousin tried to kill him, Kurg disabled the ship's artificial gravity, impulse drive and warp drive, transported himself to the Tellarite ship, and assisted them in getting away as quickly as possible. A gifted pilot, Kurg is puny for a Klingon; his melee skills are sub-par (though his prowess with a disruptor is nothing short of spectacular).

Dr. Emily Sommerfield, M.D. was trained as a surgeon on Proxima colony. She was well-respected and her skills as a clinician were second to none. She worked on a Starfleet orbital station, though a civilian, in the Algeron system until it was revealed that her fellow surgeon and lover was a Romulan spy (a fact of which she was allegedly aware). Though the Romulan was captured, he managed to disintegrate himself with an overloaded disruptor explosion. The explosion allowed Emily to flee in a commandeered shuttle, and she made her way to Rigel X, where she was hired as ship's physician by T'Mek. Still a gifted surgeon, Dr. Sommerfield spends the majority of her time treating combat injuries than performing life-saving surgeries on wealthy private patients. Kurg is strangely (and obviously) attracted to Emily, but she appears more interested in the ship's Cardassian engineer...

I'm hoping to finally launch this Series in March, but it may end up as an online game instead of a face-to-face one as many of my players no longer live in the area.

Please comment, make suggestions, and so on.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

The Rigellian character - what sort of Rigellian is he - an Orion, a Chellarian turtle-being from STTMP, a Vulcanoid from TNG, one of the facially marked Rigellians from Enterprise or a Human inhabitant of Rigel IV like Hengist from TOS? Lotsa choices, even without considering the Rigellians from ADB's Prime Directive...

That's Rigelian, not Rigellian (i.e. Chelarian). In my setting, they look like the Rigelians seen in Enterprise, but they are, in fact, proto-Vulcanoids. Though outwardly distinct from other Vulcanoids (i.e. Vulcan, Romulan, Mintakan, etc.) they possess comparable physiology and neurology.

My Rigelians possess similar psychic potential to Vulcans as well, but instead of embracing logic have immersed themselves in their emotional beings, focusing on the psionic abilities of Receptive Empathy and Mind Meld (though with a more emotion-sharing than actual thought-sharing).

I know that canon suggests that the Rigelians that landed on Rigel V came from Vulcan, but I'm kind of sick of having every other alien species originally come from Vulcan.

I'll post some more later.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Rigelian, Rigellian - what the 'L'.

Rigelian (from what I've read) refers to the inhabitants of Rigel V, while Rigellians are also referred to as Chelarians and are native to Rigel III.

The Kalar, a species native to Rigel V, are those Hun-looking near-humans found all over the Rigel system. They were exported as muscle and slave labor by the Orions (natives of Rigel VII) eons earlier. The Rigelians are immigrants to Rigel V from outside the star system. They came in and colonized, driving the native Kalar hordes into the north, where they remain as an on-again/off-again nuisance to the Rigelians.

In a star system with three native species and one that emigrated to the system from "elsewhere" millennia ago, it's hard to keep track of which exactly are which, as they are all technically Rigelians (except for the actual Rigelians, who started off as squatters from another region of space).

I don't make the rules, man... I just do my best to pervert them in such a way that most benefits me and my players.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 03-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.

I always though an expat Angosian Super Soldier (a soldier who embraces his genetic enhancements and puts them to use earning latnium) would make a brilliant addition to any Mercenary company. I would also consider an Andorian, who have a long history of mercenary service.

I have played an Andorian in several Star Trek RPG's (ICON) and they are easily as tough as any Klingon (usually more so). My favorite Andorian (Thaan [male, Andorian's have 4 genders, 2 "male" and 2 "female"] character always took great pride in taking down Klingon's in honorable personal combat. He was a expert at Chaka Hramdal (Andorian knife fighting, a Chaka focused martial art) and was a monster on the field of battle.

I would also suggest getting and reading Raiders,Renegades and Rogues if you already haven't, plenty of info on this very scenario setting.

angosian species profile
    http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org/docu...n_Angosian.pdf
    Last edited by WaveMan; 03-18-2015 at 02:05 AM.