Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried to quantify Voth technology/vessels?

Has anyone tried to quantify Voth technology/vessels?

as the title suggests, has anyone here tried to quantify Voth technology/vessels as per Space Dock?

I know they utilize phasing cloaks (vessels and personal), perfected Transwarp, have advanced LR senors(with a 90 LY range), utilize Omega Particles as a power source (as shown by the Voth harvesting Omega particles from the Solanae Dyson Sphere), energy weapons are based on anti-proton technology, utilize Aceton Drones, have chroniton/transphasic torpedo technology, have advance transporter technology (their City Ship transported Voyager and her crew inside their vessel), and use Energy Dampening fields (most likely Duonetic fields)

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Dyson_Sphere

I found this ship while researching the Voth through wiki
    Voth Fortress Ship (134.5km long), makes their city ships look small.

The problem is that you're going to start saying to yourself, "65 million years is a long time."

Not that this has come up in a game or anything, but I've consoled myself with the idea that the Voth, in their hidebound, herd-species ways, do not confront events per se, but rather move around them four-dimensionally. They use their transwarp drives to skip over centuries of invasion or crisis, dropping out of their accelerated subspace domain when polities of younger, hot-headed, carnivorous species have collapsed or fragmented (like the Hirogen). I mean, their makeup design is a Silurian reference, might as well make the rest of them fit. So when the Borg showed up a hundred thousand years ago, most city-ships left for the future of Borg quiescence, whenever that'll be.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

actually from what I have been reading the Voth really start to exert themselves later in Federation history (25th century and beyond, mostly non-canon plot line, tying in story/plot lines from video games, books and such) especially concerning the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

this ship overview mentions what I am saying
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Citadel_class

and here a story plot that has the Voth returned to Earth to lay claim again
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInst...your_doorstep/

here is an overview of the Fortress Ship
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Voth_Fortress_Ship

I would put forward the write up of the Citadel-class would be close to what one would expect to see from a Voth City ship (though their ability to transport an entire vessel isn't reflected.)
    A transporter as per Spacedock that can transport 700000mt (Voyagers approximate weight) would be 3521 su (and that is based on a cargo transporter, which would have to be modified to handle transporting life forms...)

Nah, the city ship just bilocates the space surrounding Voyager inside and outside itself. (That way they can just shunt any energy from an exploding ship by dropping the bilocation, avoiding the "You just beamed in a bomb!" trick.)
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I particularly liked that as soon as the City Ship transported Voyager they were subjected to a energy dampening field, really showed the technology gap between the two.

One point I could never reconcile with the Voth was the fact that after something like 65 million years of evolution they never evolved beyond their physical forms (as in eventually evolving into energy beings, like we saw with so many other races)

Maybe most of them did; that might be one of the reasons that the city-ship is so culturally conservative, to avoid whatever psionic abilities which power that metamorphosis from developing.

from what I can gather from several sources the Voth are a thriving Galactic power that has massive influence in the Delta quadrant. I would not be surprised if they numbered in the trillions. There has been no suggestion of them transcending their physical form. Of all the Star Trek races I find the Voth one of the most intriguing, I wish there had been more episodes showcasing them.

On a similar note, I have a Silurian (dinosaur hominid from Dr. Who) in my DTI H.Beam Piper campaign as a Flight Control Officer (a Scout/Helmsman on detached duty to DTI). She's based on the two-eyed variant, like Madame Vastra, the Silurian "Veiled Detective" in London in the 1890's. Although, the Silurians in my campaign are not actually from Earth, I suspect they'd get along well with the Voth, maybe changing their opinion on the Distant Origins Theory. Otherwise, I don't see the scenario with the Voth arriving at Earth happening for many decades, perhaps centuries, given their vehement rejection of the Theory and their basic cultural conservatism.

yeah they seemed to dismiss Distant Origin very quickly. I have seen some plot lines with the Voth returning (mentioned in a previous post in this thread) to Earth, interesting plots but not very good for humanity in most cases.
    You would think with all their technology Distant Origin would be easy to verify for the Voth. I understand how politics can play in this sort of thing, but from the impression I got from Gegen, who was analytic and logical, one would think that the Voth would be open to a scientifically sound based hypothesis.

Sounds about as likely as Bible-Belters accepting Evolution - almost an exact parallel, I think. No matter how intelligent, some people (and dinosaurs) are just so hide-bound they can't see the evidence clearly.

I believe the writers were showcasing exactly that as Doctrine was the Voth religion

as per wiki
    Voth Doctrine (simply called Doctrine by the Voth) was the primary religious text of the Voth.

According to Doctrine, the Voth were the first species to evolve in their part of the galaxy and saurian species such as themselves are superior. Mammalian species such as Humans are looked down upon as a result.

Voth Doctrine dictated that because the Voth were the first to evolve in their part of the galaxy, they have the right to rule it. Thus, the notion that Voth evolved elsewhere, as proposed in the Distant Origin Theory, was considered heresy. (VOY: "Distant Origin")
    You can't reason with religious dogma as almost all religious nonsense is faith based, believing without the need for evidence. As an atheist I can relate.

If the Voth were only in one episode, what are the other sources that you're concerned about?

The irony of Braga trying to use Star Trek for that particularly allegory is pretty hilarious. This is a show where evolution is clearly both the result of intelligent design by ancient astronauts and teleologically driven to produce glowing space-angel-guys like Q or John Doe (or, alternately, giant salamanders : P). Braga also positively cites Freud in "Phantasms" for bonus points.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    You can't reason with religious dogma as almost all religious nonsense is faith based, believing without the need for evidence. As an atheist I can relate.
    Moderator hat on...
    You're using some pretty slanted language. Not all religious belief is dogma (just as not all dogma is religious - many statements of atheism are equally dogmatic). Not all religious statements are nonsense, either. Believing in something without the need for evidence is not a problem, it's when a belief is held in opposition to verifiable evidence. Let's not take this into either religiously- or politically-based soapbox statements.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    If the Voth were only in one episode, what are the other sources that you're concerned about?
    there's are other sources, books, video games and RPG's that adds to the whole thing. As there are no more "true to form" (JJ has his own take on it) one has to turn to these other sources for stories.

As far as my views and statements on religion I will leave it at what I have posted and wont continue, and will leave the religious talk out of my posts from now on.