Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d20 Question: Klingon Weapon stats.

Post d20 Question: Klingon Weapon stats.

Since Earthdawn, I have included in my fantasy world a race of Imperial Orcs - what Orcs would be if given standard martial training and allowed anything other than the piecemeal training and weapons they use in D&D.

Since Earthdawn orcs were based on proto Mongols, for me it was a natural to base these Imperial Orcs on Klingons (which were initially based on "Space Mongols"). Plus I like their weapons and they are the perfect fit for strange-but-useful weapons in fantasy games.

So I need some d20 stats on Bat'leths and Mek'leths for 3rd edition D&D. Anyone?

Thumbs down

I have never considered or heard of anyone calling the Klingon Empire "Space Mongols".

It seems to me that they are, or were, doing the same as the Romulans or the Cardassians.
    Expanding.

Lightbulb

d20 stats for Ridgehead weapons, eh? Hmm...

Bat'leth (requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency)
    Cost: ?
    Damage: 1d8/1d8
    Critical: x3
    Range Inc.: -
    Weight: 12 lb.
    Type: Slashing
    Notes: The Bat'leth is a double weapon.

Basically, I just used the stats for the orc double axe but made it lighter.

Mek'Leth (requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency)
    Damage: 1d10
    Critical: 18-20/x2
    Range Inc.: -
    Weight: 6 lb.
    Notes: The Mek'leth can be used with one or both hands.

Basically, I just used the stats for a bastard sword but made it lighter.

Steve

------------------
    Steve's Roleplaying Resources
    http://www.oil.ca/~goforit/stevehome.html
    E-mail: goforit@oil.ca

Arrow

IMHO, the damage and crit range on the Mek'Leth is a bit too wicked for a single-handed Medium-sized weapon. I'd drop it to 1d8 damage with a 19-20/x2 crit range. Plus the unusual design allows a +2 equipment bonus to disarm.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Thumbs up

Whoops!

The Mek'leth critical threat range should read 19-20/x2. My typo! :O

I think 1d10 is fine considering it's a one or two handed weapon. Remember, medium-sized creatures can only use the Mek'leth in one hand if they have the Exotic Weapon proficiency. It can be used as a martial weapon in two hands, or in one if the wielder is large (as per the bastard sword rules).

Steve

------------------

Arrow

But that's the thing. It does not have the size of a bastard sword. At least I don't recall the grip is long enough to use two-handed like a bastard sword. The grip however is long like the longsword's grip (which is shorter than bastard sword's) so it can still be used two-handed even by a Medium-sized creature.

I mean how else was Worf able to conceal this weapon and draw it from his back in Star Trek: First Contact?

------------------

Wink

Well, I was going with the description in the DS9 Core Book which states that the weapon can be used with one or two hands. The closest thing in D&D is the bastard sword. If you want to invent new stats from scratch, feel free. I was just being lazy.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by Steven A Cook (edited 08-26-2001).]

I cant help with Stats, not being an AD&D player in any way, shape or form.

But remember that the met'Leth is loosely based on a Polynesian bladed weapon, and as such is also suitable as a throwing blade... As seen in at least 1 DS9 episode, I think 'Change of Heart'.

This makes it more akin to a Throwing Axe, although it is so much more too.

Didn't the name Bat'leth translate as Sword of honour? Shouldn't that mean that some sword stats, maybe a 2H Sword with upped parrying ability would be suitable?

------------------
    DanG.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Lightbulb

OK, revised stats.

Mek'leth
    Damage: 1d8
    Crit: 19-20/x2
    Range Increment: 10 feet
    Weight: 6 lb.
    Notes: The mek'leth can be used with one hand or with both. Additionally, it can be thrown like an axe at opponents. To wield a mek'leth in one hand or to throw it, you must possess Exotic Weapon Proficiency (mek'leth). Large creatures can wield a mek'leth in one hand without this feat, although they must possess the feat to throw the weapon.

Howzat stand up to scrutiny? Since it can be thrown, I figured a lower damage total was appropriate. We shouldn't turn it into a uberweapon.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by Steven A Cook (edited 08-27-2001).]

Thumbs up

So we have a longsword that can be thrown or used two handed, where it gets 1.5x str mod for damage.

Seems about right. I like it.

Sign me up. I'll take two.

Unless Warf has the "Throw anything" feat, of cource.

I like both write ups. Good job Steve!

Alex

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have never considered or heard of anyone calling the Klingon Empire "Space Mongols". </font>
    From what I have heard about the brith of the Klingons in TOS - John Calicos came up with a look for the Klingons that was best described as "Space Mongols". So thats where I get my rationale.

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Blake:
    So we have a longsword that can be thrown or used two handed, where it gets 1.5x str mod for damage.

Seems about right. I like it.

Sign me up. I'll take two.

Unless Warf has the "Throw anything" feat, of cource.

I like both write ups. Good job Steve!

Alex
    </font>
    Thanks!

Just to be clear, I think it should require two hands to throw. IIRC, that was the case in the episode Dan referenced. My memory can be hazy, though, so don't quote me on that one.

Obviously, if a DM is going to include this weapon in a campaign, it should carry a pretty hefty price tag (at least 30-40 gp, IMHO). Or it might not be available at all unless you kill some of those nasssty orcses to get one, my preciousss.

Steve

------------------

A price?!

Orc Double Axe is 80, the Double Sword is 100. My bet would be that the Bat'leth would run around there. Say 100 since it's all metal like the Double Sword.

Of cource, Worf's was masterwork, so his'd be 400 gp.

You may want to go 150 because of the intricacy of the design. But then most of the characters would just grab the orc double axe, so from a cost benefit I'd go 100 gp.

With the value of a missle/melee/all purpose ability of the Mek'leth I'd go 40.

And borrowing a note from the Katana maybe make all Mek'leth would be masterwork for 340 gp talley. It makes sense for the "Sword of Honor" to be something pretty special.

As a note, I watched someone give a demo of axe throwing using real axes (not tomahawks). He threw them two handed, overhead. I didn't see the ds9 episode in question, but I can imagine that that's how it was done there too.

Alex

Arrow

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So we have a longsword that can be thrown or used two handed, where it gets 1.5x str mod for damage.</font>
    Heck, you could do that with a typical longsword, as long you're a Medium-sized creature or smaller (but not two size smaller than the size category of the weapon itself).

Of course, a Large creature could wield a longsword as a light weapon and therefore could not gain the x1.5 Str bonus to damage.

Personally, I don't think it was crafted for throwing as well as for melee any more than a European longsword. It does have a small blade that act as a guard to protect the grip hand but can be used to disarm.

------------------

Based on the size, form, and function, I'd say a Mek'leth is closer to a Kurkri than a bastard sword. Especially since the one that appeared on screen was actually part of Worf's broken Bat'leth.