Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing Villain types?

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    I honestly don't believe the Federation and the Borg could have ever become ally's, once assimilated a culture becomes Borg. Plus the Borg always exhibited "assimilate or destroy" behavior, not a lot of wriggle room for diplomacy.
    But what does "become Borg" mean, once you're on the inside?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    The closest thing that comes to a real hive-mind is a computer network. A network needs a coordinating processor. That's her. All the other drones are mere peripherals. She's sort of like a "Norman" that actually does coordinate.
    Of course, it's not necessarily the Queen per se which is coordinating, so much as complex set of interrelated adaptions of which the Queen is manifesting in that particular submatrix.

Anyway, if we want to actually hash out the various ways that Borg cybernetics (in the original meaning) works we should start a different thread.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    exactly that, assimilated cultures cease to exist, all those assimilated cultures are merged into the collective.
    For example Annika Hansen was a human individual, once assimilated she became Borg drone Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One. Her human lifestyle ceased upon assimilation, and she then became a drone. Your former life is over. Human drones don't exhibit human culture, rather they exhibit Borg culture.

Of course, it's not necessarily the Queen per se which is coordinating, so much as complex set of interrelated adaptions of which the Queen is manifesting in that particular submatrix.

Anyway, if we want to actually hash out the various ways that Borg cybernetics (in the original meaning) works we should start a different thread.
    True, while an interesting topic, I am looking for types of interesting villains that Star Trek doesn't currently have int he TV shows or Movies.

Since Star Trek does a lot of social commentary, is there a type of antagonist that has risen in society recently that could be represented in Star Trek?

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    For example Annika Hansen was a human individual, once assimilated she became Borg drone Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One. Her human lifestyle ceased upon assimilation, and she then became a drone. Your former life is over. Human drones don't exhibit human culture, rather they exhibit Borg culture.
    Yeah, but then you gain the perspective of the Borg toward your previous material prostheses. I'm really surprised that this board's self-proclaimed transhumanist is the one making the 'Borg are evil' argument instead of the 'Borg are just another form of life' argument...

Quote Originally Posted by BurnEverythingG View Post
    Since Star Trek does a lot of social commentary, is there a type of antagonist that has risen in society recently that could be represented in Star Trek?
    I think honestly answering that question would be a violation of the board's 'no political talk' rule, heh.

I think honestly answering that question would be a violation of the board's 'no political talk' rule, heh.
    Oh, sorry. I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, but then you gain the perspective of the Borg toward your previous material prostheses. I'm really surprised that this board's self-proclaimed transhumanist is the one making the 'Borg are evil' argument instead of the 'Borg are just another form of life' argument...
    LoL, I never said the Borg were evil nor was my intention to imply such. What puts me off about the Borg is the loss of self and loss of individuality. That's why I like the Caeliar so much, they reflect transhumanism (well to be pedantic transCaeliarism...LoL) far better, have a "group consciousness" and yet retain individuality and the concept of self. I agree the Borg are just another life form. What I feel though from your posts is you mistakenly believe that if, say the Federation were to be assimilated that the Federation would still exist in some form, though with a Borg perspective. IMHO this would not be the case. They would be Borg, not Federation-Borg.(what I mean by that is, for example when a Greek person immigrates to Australia they are often referred to as Greek Australian.) The Borg culture would supersede all others, and not allow assimilated cultures to present in their original form.

Another underdeveloped race, for me, would be the Undine (species 8472), though there has been a lot of novels written concerning them. Now they represent the ultimate "trans" species, the paragon of evolution and genetic perfection.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 04-24-2015 at 06:06 PM.