Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: star trek vs star wars technology discussion

The biggest problem with the MF's travel to Bespin is that they HAD NO HYPERDRIVE. That's why they needed to go to Bespin. The Hyperdrive Motivator was cooked. We don't know what "1.5 above lightspeed" is. Hell, Solo doesn't even know what a parsec is (and the fannish attempts to explain the remark are laughable). Star Wars is a "Space Fantasy" - that's the description Lucas always used, right from the beginning. Hyperdrive is precisely "speed of plot". All tech in Star Wars is magic - no science involved As far as midichlorians go, I would say they're not a discrete entity, but rather a measurement of Force power, like Volts or Roentgens.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    The biggest problem with the MF's travel to Bespin is that they HAD NO HYPERDRIVE. That's why they needed to go to Bespin. The Hyperdrive Motivator was cooked.
    In SW D6, they put in a "Backup Hyperdrive" to explain things like that. As a motivator can be anything, so the one in the backup might not be able to handle the energy of the main drive, and barely make them able to limp along to a nearby system.

We don't know what "1.5 above lightspeed" is. Hell, Solo doesn't even know what a parsec is (and the fannish attempts to explain the remark are laughable). Star Wars is a "Space Fantasy" - that's the description Lucas always used, right from the beginning. Hyperdrive is precisely "speed of plot". All tech in Star Wars is magic - no science involved As far as midichlorians go, I would say they're not a discrete entity, but rather a measurement of Force power, like Volts or Roentgens.
    It sure it. But I hate "speed of plot" when I GM and want a rational explanation, even if I have to make one up

When it comes to midichlorians, that is the best explanation I have seen so far. Then, the explanation to Anakin just was in the vein of "What is electrons?" and an adult that dumbs it down to much and explains electrons as small living entities.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    I also think in regards to the size of the Empire, writers of these stories most likely don't actually understand the actual size of a galaxy, they are an immense structures, and as you point out in reality both civilizations could easily exist in a galaxy and never run into each other.
    To mix in yet another "Star something" into the mix, that the galaxy is huge and there is a lot of stars out there is something I feel they got right in SG1. Even though there were a lot of Star Gates out there, the wast amount of systems without one made it a waste of time to try guessing where they were (and if the coordinate of the star was a bit off, they couldn't get a lock).

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    The biggest problem with the MF's travel to Bespin is that they HAD NO HYPERDRIVE. That's why they needed to go to Bespin. The Hyperdrive Motivator was cooked. We don't know what "1.5 above lightspeed" is. Hell, Solo doesn't even know what a parsec is (and the fannish attempts to explain the remark are laughable). Star Wars is a "Space Fantasy" - that's the description Lucas always used, right from the beginning. Hyperdrive is precisely "speed of plot". All tech in Star Wars is magic - no science involved As far as midichlorians go, I would say they're not a discrete entity, but rather a measurement of Force power, like Volts or Roentgens.
    While that would be an amusing alteration, we have Qui-Gon Jinn spelling it out clearly:

Quote Originally Posted by QUI-GON JINN
    Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Just like Han used Parsecs as a time unit. Qui-Gonn didn't strike me as the sharpest crayon in the box, and anyway, as noted above, he was trying to explain it to a 9-year-old. Besides, Lucas clearly isn't the sharpest crayon in the box,as he wrote both lines.

He's literally the third smartest guy in that particular box. But, as you say, it's a bad box.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'm not sure if symbiotic organisms living in people's cells that are uniquely sensitive to an interstellar energy field is actually a worse idea that just borrowing qi wholesale, but it didn't seem to mesh well with people's expectations.

they just should have bitten the bullet and call the Force 'magic'. You are right TTK it didn't seem to mesh well with people's expectations. I will admit many of the force powers were very cool though.

One last thing too, concerning the worst character to be presented in any sci-fi series has to be Jar Jar Binks, basically ruined the films he stars in for me.

I broke out the discussion about warp speed and travel distances, and it can be found here; http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...d-travel-times

thanks mate, at least now the thread remains intact.