Thread: Current policy?

Current policy?

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    should I have said practical instead of realistic? (practical is a synonym of realistic)
    Neither actually is appropriate because you're still talking about Speed of Plot, but obscuring that fact. And all of this is about Speed of Plot because Speed of Plot is what we're talking about in reality, regardless of the fictional gloss applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    Play nice
    Aren't trek vs. wars topics banned on this site anyway?
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 05-30-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Neither actually is appropriate because you're still talking about Speed of Plot, but obscuring that fact. And all of this is about Speed of Plot because Speed of Plot is what we're talking about in reality, regardless of the fictional gloss applied.
    The need of not taking to long to travel or communicate is speculating on realism, as it is speculation about the human psyche, but it is in a imaginary world full of fantasy stuff. So yeah, it can be handled by deciding having years to travel won't have any negative affect the Federation.

But, to have some sort of internal consistency, I at least like to talk about both realism, when applicable, and verisimilitude.

Aren't trek vs. wars topics banned on this site anyway?
    Real life politics and religion have to be discussed in the area designed for it, and things have to be legal and PG-13ish. But otherwise, No banned topics I'm aware of.

Real life politics and religion have to be discussed in the area designed for it, and things have to be legal and PG-13ish. But otherwise, No banned topics I'm aware of.
    So we can talk about Starfleet Marines again? : P

But, to have some sort of internal consistency, I at least like to talk about both realism, when applicable, and verisimilitude.
    Verisimilitude is fine, but it's factually incorrect to say that they 'kept changing the warp speed charts' when they never changed it—the chart they were using always just said 'it takes as long as the writer feels like.'

If you want to introduce consistent warp speeds and travel times into an RPG version of Trek, you have to be aware that you're adding an input to the process that will create output that doesn't match the output of what's on-screen.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 05-30-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

So we can talk about Starfleet Marines again? : P
    As long people can have a civil discussion about it, sure. Even about Starfleet Maines.

As long people can have a civil discussion about it, sure. Even about Starfleet Maines.
    So when was the Marine policy actually rescinded?

I moved these questions to its own thread.

So when was the Marine policy actually rescinded?
    Can't remember if it even was in effect when I took over.

The current posting guidelines are five years old.

I guess things quieted down after Styro left...

Immensely. He and his sock-puppet "wife". However, his Be a Loser (Oops "Winner") thread lived on for quite a while. Even now, years later some users still bring it back to life through Thread Necromancy.

Well... The Be a Winner thread was started by JonA.

And one that was always fun to post in, especially after you took over the forum, Capt Lundgren, and made sure everybody was a winner
    I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig.
    You get dirty and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

we never did find out what you win...

Whoa, I missed the part where we found out that was a sockpuppet...

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    And one that was always fun to post in, especially after you took over the forum, Capt Lundgren, and made sure everybody was a winner
    The main reason I didn't post in it myself was to avoid people deciding I should "win"

we never did find out what you win...
    Fame and glory, of course

Whoa, I missed the part where we found out that was a sockpuppet...
    I saw both indicators and contra-indicators on that, so from my point of view it is inconclusive and I handled it from the perspective of it being two different persons.

Liz went on to get banned from RPG.net after IIRC a pretty bad flameout, but that's not necessarily an indicator of anything.