Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Warp speed and travel times

Actually, it says it was an Earth colony, and that in the 2350's it broke away from the Federation, severing relations in 2352. That sounds to me like it was a member, or at least an associate member.

that's exactly what I said, an Earth colony. It may have been a member, or at least an associate member at first but after it severed ties it changed status to non-aligned.

<Admin hat on>
    I split of the posts about the intent into another thread, and it can be found here. http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...FP-is-governed

Anyone who wants to talk about the intent can do so there, but this thread will be kept free from it.

Not sure if the thread should be split into one travel time thread and one about how the UFP is governed. But as it is a bit over midnight here, I will leave that question for tomorrow.
    <Admin hat off>

the thread has seemed to have drifted once more, it would be good if it got back on track.

for any one interested in an in-depth look at the structure and organisation of the UFP and how it is Governed (as per the Last Unicorn Games development team) you should look at The Price Of Freedom, (the UFP source book), as the disclaimer states on the inside cover, their book's content is directly taken from the show, and is extrapolated logically with in the flavor of ST TNG with some liberties taken [as there is only so much "canon" that can be taken from a weekly aired series], while it isn't canon it is, for me the next best thing. Plus AFAIK there isn't any canon that actually detail's the UFP and it's government structure available, so it all comes down to fan speculation and resources such as RPG's and wikis (fan based as well).

as for the rest see post http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...633#post185633

It's a reasonable interpretation, and works for me, especially as it avoids the faux pas of many US-authored games wherein they just clone the US Constitution (as did both Franz Joseph in his SFTM and FASA which pretty much followed suit). Unlike the US document as ground-breaking as it was at the time, the guarantees of rights are not an afterthought giving rise to a section of amendments. It's interesting that they made the Guarantees non-amendable.

The UFP Constitution is definitely based on Libertarian ideals, although it does reflect some of the ideals set forth in the US Constitution as well. (well I can see some similarities).

Reading further in Price of Freedom, individual planetary sovereignty is guaranteed (article 4) which guarantee's each member the right to Govern themselves, though it is expected that each member places emphasis on cooperation and open debate. It is stated that each member race had to agree to sacrifice a portion of its sovereignty so that the "allied government" would have the teeth to make effective policy.

I suppose the crux of it is, would say an Andorian consider themselves an Andorian/Federation citizen (like we have today, as in African/America or Greek/ Australian) or a Federation citizen (that just happens to be Andorian)? There is a subtle difference. I believe the UFP is working towards a single civilization, and a unified culture rather then just being a group of individual cultures working together for mutual benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    The UFP Constitution is definitely based on Libertarian ideals,
    Except for the whole no money thing.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I wont be drawn into a political rant and contravene the forums rules but the Libertarian political ideal is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment, which seems to me to be exactly what the UFP stands for. I think you are confusing Liberalism and Libertarian-ism.

The wide spread use of Replicators is what made money redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    The wide spread use of Replicators is what made money redundant.
    http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/New_World_Economy
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

From what can be seen in the series, most explicitly in Encounter at Farpoint, they do use a form of money, in the strictest sense of the term. They seem to mean, when they say, "We don't use money", that they don't use currency. They do use a monetary form called "credits", which even has an exchange rate for various other , such as the currencies shown in the following chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies#Television -DS9 had a currency exchange on the Promenade with a list of exchange rates. The most famous form of currency in Star Trek is of course Ferengi cold-pressed Latinum bullion in a variety of denominations (slips, strips, bars, et cetera), but others include the Klingon Darsek, Cardassian Lek and Bajoran Lita.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    exactly my point, replicators (advanced versions of the Food Synthesizer, I suppose I should have said that rather then replicator) facilitated (made possible) the reforms, and allowed the Federation to implement the New World Economy. The peoples of the Federation no longer had to work to earn money (so as to provide for their daily needs) as their daily needs were being met by having access to replicators. I suppose wide scale ubiquitous automation also had a hand in the reforms as well, reducing the need for the population to earn money.

As Owen points out the Federation does have a monetary based economy, it's just based on the "credit" rather then the dollar. BTW Owen it's GOLD pressed latinum (I think auto correct has changed it for you)
    http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Latinum
    Last edited by WaveMan; 06-05-2015 at 12:22 AM.

I always considered that the Federation uses a form of money, if only to balance exchanges. I think I remember Sisko saying in an episode that he burned all of his transporter credits to visit his father every week when he was in the Academy (I don't remember the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure of the transporter credits). I assume they keep track of what everybody produce and use, and derive some sort of credit balance from it. It's a bit like if we only ever used credit cards and money transfers.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I think it get's muddy when you take into account the difference between Federation citizens and Star Fleet personnel, SF personnel could expect to have all their daily requirements met (quarters supplied, unlimited access to replicator resources [within limits obviously]) as part of their covenant with the Federation (non canon but my opinion) without having to resort to a credit system (except if their posting is suffering under extraordinary circumstances such as in Voyager's situation, there was mention of "replicator rations" several times in Voyager), where as Federation citizens would be regulated via a credit system.

Starfleet personnel do buy things outside of Fleet channels. Remember in Farpoint, Beverly bought some local fabrics, apparently charging it to the ship's account. Although she did not handle money herself, some accounting would have to be done when the ship paid the planetside civilian vendor. Also, even though Cyrano gave Uhura a free sample Tribble, she first enquired as to the price, implying that she had some means to pay for it. And where did Bashir and O'Brien get the latinum to pay their bar tab at Quarks. Quark sure wasn't going to give them food and drink for free - he's a Ferengi after all. And where did Jadzia come up with the funds to play Tongo? It is gambling, after all and you need to place your stake to play.

Picard may be an ivory-tower type who lets Starfleet take care of everything for him, but not everyone on the shows did the same...