Thread: Meta discussion about intent of discussing how the UFP is governed

Meta discussion about intent of discussing how the UFP is governed

TTK is right the thread has drifted once more, still an interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    TTK is right the thread has drifted once more, still an interesting discussion.
    It's not about drift, it's about presenting RPG material as having evidentiary value outside the RPG forum. There's a big difference between 'Help me figure [setting element] out for my game' and 'What can we derive from on-screen or production material that points to the structure of [setting element]?'
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

true but the RPG systems are all based on what happens on screen, and basically expands on what little on screen info we are given. I see little difference in using a sanctioned RPG source or say Memory Alpha wiki and will continue to use all my RPG source material. As there is no pre-Abram's material being produced any more I have little choice. I also didn't get the impression that this forum was that arbitrary. Neither the moderators nor the admin have questioned it either, so as long as I haven't broken any forum rules everything is OK. If some of my posts need to be move (or deleted) the mods will have to do that, I do not have a mod control panel to facilitate such actions.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 06-02-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    true but the RPG systems are all based on what happens on screen, and basically expands on what little on screen info we are given. I see little difference in using a sanctioned RPG source or say Memory Alpha wiki and will continue to use all my RPG source material. As there is no pre-Abram's material being produced any more I have little choice. I also didn't get the impression that this forum was that arbitrary. Neither the moderators nor the admin have questioned it either, so as long as I haven't broken any forum rules everything is OK. If some of my posts need to be move (or deleted) the mods will have to do that, I do not have a mod control panel to facilitate such actions.
    It's important to identify the intent behind the extrapolation.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

important or pedantic? I was trying to make an informed response utilizing the resources I had at hand. I also cited my sources for full disclosure, what more can be done? Do I have to put IMHO (in my humble opinion) in front of every post I make? (I thought that was implied)

As far as the intent, I was trying to answer the question (how is the Federation governed?) to the best of my ability, I wont make apologies for that, nor do I feel as though I should edit my response.

But why are you making those decisions regarding how you view the Federation's structure?

I have replied to that question in previous posts, and will not continue with this pointless discussion. There is a simple answer to not liking my posts, don't read them.

I'm breaking out this discussion as I see it as a meta discussion about the thread. Why people are interested in different things can be an interested topic, and I don't mind sharing my view and thoughts. Those interested can discuss it here.

For me, I want a good mental picture of the details regarding a setting, so I can keep things structured when I improvise. Where are people? What is the major things going on? What is some important people up to? What is some people the PC's are directly connected to doing? What is the players freedoms and responsibilities? What is the environment they all operate within?

So for Star Trek, part of it is to sort out how I believe things like "how long travel takes" and "what it means for a planet to be a member of, or affiliated with, the UFP."

...and I consider it to be a fun mental exercise.

So...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    There's a big difference between 'Help me figure [setting element] out for my game' and 'What can we derive from on-screen or production material that points to the structure of [setting element]?'
    From my own purposes, these two are the same. Well, I don't have a current game going; but I usually poke around things in case I would get a group together whom would consider Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    It's important to identify the intent behind the extrapolation.
    And why do you consider it important?

I mean, I can see it can being helpful to understand it. If someone isn't interested in the topic themselves, but interested in helping someone else if there is a need, knowing the intent would make easier to know if one should help and reduce to risk of talking cross purposes.

I moved the posts about the UFP back to the original thread. This thread is so the discussion of our intent don't derail that thread.