Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Renegades

Or Tales of the Rangers...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Could be interesting, or it could just as likely be another Babylon 5 Crusades.
    especially the way the networks seem to work these days, with countless series cancelled after the first season. I just hope Fox has nothing to do with it, they hate sci-fi series and would kill it before it ever have a chance. FireFly was excellent yet didn't make it through to a second season, so quality doesn't guarantee continuity. (an example of Fox idiocy)

The network wasn't the problem with Crusade - it was ill-conceived and badly cast, written and produced by JMS, as was Legend of the Rangers, but yeah, Fox has a bad record with SF, X-Files aside. Refusing to show the set-up episode until last was a stupid idea on Fox's part in re: Firef;y. They also meddled in Space: Above and Beyond, forcing it into a schizophrenic pattern, trying to make it both an infantry show as well as a space fighter-based show. Dark Skies was badly handled as well, with no reruns so one could catch up on the continuing storyline. 'Course, Dark Skies was part of a three-series package they bought, where they only wanted the other two series and tried to kill Dark Skies. Networks aren't the only reason series fail, but they can be a series' worst enemy. Then there was UPN...
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 06-14-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Fox does have a propensity to air series out of order (FireFly and Almost Human for example). I gotta agree Crusade was bad all by it's self, with every thing working against it from the start, I doubt any network could have presented it successfully.

Well, to be fair to Fox, they might still have been expecting to be ordering a series from showrunners that works like shows did before the Serialized Age. The ability of TiVo and DVDs to shift how series were being watched, especially by the non-soap demographics, isn't necessarily something they're going to jump on immediately, especially all the way back in 2003.

Also, you know, maybe Firefly wasn't actually that popular. Even in this day and age of geek-centric media, there are still things that don't have as much cross-demographic appeal as, say Sons of Anarchy, which has a similar premise in a non-SF context.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 06-14-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

FireFly generated a loyal cult following as well as winning several awards. While it may not appeal to the wider audience I believe it could have been a successful series. I liked it because of libertarian themes seeded throughout the series. I also feel the "space/cowboy" combo to be unique and was a worthy premise.

available for download now on UTorrents.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    available for download now on UTorrents.
    What is? OOps, soryy, you ment Renegades. I've now downloaded it, and aside from the costume and sets for SFHQ, I'm OK with it. Section 31 fans should be as well.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 08-23-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update!

I thought posting in the Renegades thread most people would get what show I was referring to.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

just watched it (Renegades) and I liked it, gets a solid B+ from me, some of the acting and direction was a little poor, but overall not a bad movie and taken that this is the only non-Abram's stuff available I suppose one should not be too critical.
    AKA-Dean

I liked it a lot. Gary Graham was in it. FOX burned him in its ALIEN NATION show years back when irregardless of ratings they'd cancel everything each year.

RENEGADES has issues but it was fairly solid for fan show. Hints at how fragile Fed is, destroy access to dilithium and the whole house of cards come falling down. Chekov was great and dominated his scenes. Tuvok has great screen presence but a boring personality (most Vulcans do I find).

Federation Captain was annoying, reminded me of Stiles and his ilk, typical post TOS era types SF seems to recruit. Also shows the Prime Directive progression from Kirk's day. Flexible in TOS, rigid in TNG era a suicide pact in early 25th Century.

KickStarter now happening for Renegades ep 2&3, if we want this to continue we should get behind it...

AKA-Dean

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I overlooked bad acting/dialogue as this is a fan production and plenty of bad eps have been produced by pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
    I overlooked bad acting/dialogue as this is a fan production and plenty of bad eps have been produced by pros.
    so true mate and well said. It seems as though we will never get another 'real' (as in not bastardized Abrams type) Star Trek series or movie so fan based stuff is our only option. What we need is some eccentric billionaire to bankroll another series or a 'back to the core of Trek' movie, surely at least one Trekkie has a disposable income not to miss a few million dollars...LoL
    AKA-Dean

Not really, this is a professional production being pitched to the studio. I don't feel we should cut them any slack on the acting. True, it's being produced on a fan-production budget, so I will cut them slack on sets and costuming, which clearly show a low-budget look (especially the abominable Starfleet uniforms, which look like they were bought at Value Villages's Hallowe'en aisle, but almost all the actors are industry professionals. Russ, Koenig, Picardo, Intiraymi and Herd are all Star Trek veterans reprising roles from the various series and were OK at best. Sean Young is way past her prime, and Eddie Furlong is a washed up child star. Now, if it does get picked up as a real series, the sets and costumes will obviously be reworked to the standards we expect, as will the lackluster makeup, but the writing and direction also need work. I'll give the actors the benefit of doubt in assuming the lackluster performances were due to a lack of direction.

I would much rather the costumes looked like the Voyager Endgame future costumes as a minimum, even though they're my least favourite canon uniforms. I'd rather, though that the used the DS9/TNG movie uniforms or the ones that STO copied from the Countdown comic leading up to the JJTrek movies. That one looked back at the DS9/Voyager uniforms with a more sculpted look to the shoulder panels. These were just plain terrible. For one thing, I couldn't figure out the significance of the black and white braid on some costumes. For another, the custard yellow for Operations was way too light and needs to be a deeper golden yellow. I liked the horizontal rank tabs, but would've liked to have seen a few with hollow bars for such ranks as Lt(jg) or LCdr. The TWOK-esque shoulder straps did not work with these pajama-type uniforms, and I did not like the pronounced difference in cut of the female uniforms. The Starfleet Command sets just sucked - badly. the yellow colouring made everyone looked jaundiced.

Story-wise, if they're going to make Tuvok the head of Section 31, they need to do something to establish that it's no longer a complete rogue agency answerable only to itself. They alluded to Chekov as head of Starfleet Intelligence having a measure of authority to the Section, but only in passing. This needs to be developed, preferably over the first couple of episodes. Admiral Paris seemed not to have any reason to be involved. And how the hell did a disgraced scientist get her hands on the HoloDoc's mobile emitter so she could carry on a long-distance affair with Zimmerman? Further, why does she need it? Why not just use a standard holosuite since all they want to do is neck and presumably have mad, passionate, holographic sex?