Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has any one written Gomtuu up?

Has any one written Gomtuu up?

I did a search and could not find any write up of this truly fascinating vessel. Has anyone (Omega?) written up Gomtuu?

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Gomtuu

While I understand it was assumed Gomtuu was the last of it's kind there is the possibility that others exist (apparently it came from another Galaxy so lots of possibilities)

I worked on some biological ships a few years ago but never even looked at Gomtuu as one of the ships I created. When I get time I will look at generating the ship but this bioship will require the generation of new technology for replacement of some systems.

some of the weapon systems are far beyond what most vessels would have available (being able to destroy a Romulan War Bird in one shot, and displacing 2 vessels 3.8 billion km's away is very difficult to simulate) the rest should be reasonably easy to quantify. I look forward to your effort.

You could make the repulsor wave to act like the Soliton Wave Propulsion, something like this

Repulsor Wave Generator
    arc 90 degree (wave front can effect any vessel in that arc)
    transports the vessel/s 25-30Au (equivalent to the approximate radius of our solar system) ship/s travel at warp 9.99 (travel time 5 seconds)
    Pilot must make a Moderate (5) shipboard flight control test
    Pass ship takes 12d6 damage (SIF is the only protection)
    Dramatic failure ship takes 20d6 damage (SIF is the only protection)

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Soliton_wave

For an Idea, there are CODA stats in Aliens Page 74
    Last edited by Karg; 06-18-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Wrong System

Here is a question.

I Know Gomtuu is bigger than a Bread Box does anyone have any idea what its size is? I have not come across any length.

there are no specs AFAIK, or could find. though Memory Alpha says

Viewed from the exterior, Gomtuu was a massive, dark-colored starship shaped like a sunflower seed shell.
    "massive" for me suggests a vessel larger then either the Galaxy-class (size class 8) or the Romulan D'Deridex-class War Bird (size class 10) though I would say smaller then a Borg Cube (size class 16) so maybe size class 12-14?

some pics for you

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Based on the visuals in the episode, I would say that Gomtuu is a little longer than a D'Deridex class Warbird, maybe 1500m long. I don't like the approach the CODA book took treating it as if it (he? she? I'll stick with "it") as a conventional officer character. Rather, I'd treat it more as a cross between a conventional ship for physical stats and a god-like being for skills and mental stats. I would give it defined interpersonal stats - Intellect/Logic/Perception and Presence/Empathy/Willpower for instance. And a range of skills for interaction purposes. I would not define it in the way one would define a playable character - it's not.

I would not interpret Memory Alpha as canon - it's based on canon, but it is largely speculation and in many places completely dead wrong.

1500m puts Gomtuu at size class 12 as per Space Dock.

I like the idea of treating the computer (ie the "brain") of Gomtuu as a character it was IMO sentient, and demonstrated highly telepathic and empathic abilities, something non-organic, tradition type computers could never achieve.

Also the transporters were well and truly superior to SF transporters and should have a rating of around type 13 (1ly range), didn't Gomtuu transport Data at least 3.8 billion km (around 25.4AU) at the end of the Tin Man episode?

For me Gomtuu has always been among the most fascinating vessels Star Trek ever presented.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Most of Gomtuu's abilities a "far beyong those of mortal men" to co-opt a phrase It cannot be strictly treated as a character, as it's on a whole different level, sorta like Q It has certain characteristics that are specifically tailored to interact with humanoids, and only those should be modelled on the ghumanoid scale. Intellect, Presence and Psi, to some extent. Fitness, Coordination and other physical stats are not applicable on any humanoid scale by any stretch of the imaginatoion. Like I said Gomtuu is a cross betwen a ship and a YAGLA (old FIDOnet speak for Yet Another God-Like Being) It's like the old problem in D&D of assigning hit points to Thor and other Gods. It just doesn't make any kind of sense.

The CODA approach of making Gomtuu a Command officer was ludicrous. It's not an officer, it's the bloody ship. If it was a Command officer, what in the universe does it need squishy beings inside it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Most of Gomtuu's abilities a "far beyong those of mortal men" to co-opt a phrase It cannot be strictly treated as a character, as it's on a whole different level, sorta like Q It has certain characteristics that are specifically tailored to interact with humanoids, and only those should be modelled on the ghumanoid scale. Intellect, Presence and Psi, to some extent. Fitness, Coordination and other physical stats are not applicable on any humanoid scale by any stretch of the imaginatoion. Like I said Gomtuu is a cross betwen a ship and a YAGLA (old FIDOnet speak for Yet Another God-Like Being) It's like the old problem in D&D of assigning hit points to Thor and other Gods. It just doesn't make any kind of sense.

The CODA approach of making Gomtuu a Command officer was ludicrous. It's not an officer, it's the bloody ship. If it was a Command officer, what in the universe does it need squishy beings inside it for?
    That's one of the weirder offshoots of making it a 3e-like, since you can treat the classes as abstract clusters of powers, or essentialist descriptions of an in-game reality which are represented mechanically as certain powers. In the first case, making Gomtuu a Command officer probably made a lot of sense, since it probably provided for modifiers in starship combat which boosted Gomtuu's ability to fight and act fast, et cetera, but you have to ignore the second case association of signified (the mechanics) and the signifier (the class name.

I don't know exactly whose idea it was to make CODA a 3e-like, but they definitely weren't playtesting it with new players...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Here is a version of Gumtuu it is a week ship but useable. Use it don’t it fits well enough. I personnally think it should be half this size but I could not find any real size on it. I thought that I had a picture of the ships and with Gumtuu on the page but could not find it.

Gumtuu Biological Starship
    Class and Type: species unknown Bilogical Space entity
    Commissioning Date: Unknown

Hull Systems
    Size: 12
    Length: 1500.5 meters
    Beams: 688.5 meters
    Height: 614.74 meters
    Decks: 45
    Mass: 10,500,000 metric tons
    SU’s Available: (3377)
    SU’s Used: 3377

Hull Outer <48>
    Hull Inner <48>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 12 <18>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 2 <0>
    Biological ship <1200>

Structural Integrity field [1 power/10 Protection/round]
    Main: Class 7 (Protection 100/150) <42>
    Primary Backup: Class 7 (Protection 50) <21>
    Secondary Backup: Class 7 (Protection 50) <21>

Personnel systems
    Crew/Passengers/Evac: (Variable) 90/130/2000
    Crew Quarters (average)
    Spartan: 80 <4>
    Basic: 77 <8>
    Expanded: 25 <5>
    Luxury: 25 <25>
    Unusual: 13 <13>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [9 Power/round] <48>
    Reserve Life Support [5 Power/round] <24>
    Emergency Life Support (72 emergency-shelters) <24>
    Gravity [6 Power/round] <12>
    Consumable: one years worth <12>
    Replicators
    Food Replicators [12 Power/round] <12>
    Industrial Replicators
    Type: network of small Replicators [2 Power/round] <12>
    Type: one Large unit [2 Power/replicator/round] <3>
    Medical Facilities: 7 (+2) [7 Power/round] <35>
    Recreation Facilities: (Variable) 5 (one main holodeck; five personal holodecks; pleasant eating facilities; two facilities) [10 Power/round] <40>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <12>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <12>
    Cargo hold: 400,000 cubic meters <12>
    Locations:
    Escape Pods: none

Propulsion Systems
    A variant of a Soliton Wave Warp Drive Nacelles: Equal to a Type 7 <120>
    Speed: 7.0/8.0/9.0 [1 Power/.2 warp speed]
    PIS: Type J (48 hours of Maximum warp) <20>
    Special configuration: Embedded Nacelles <48>
    Impulse Engine Type: four Class 4B (.65c/.85c) [6/8 Power/round] <23 x 4 = 92>
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <12>

Power Systems
    Warp Engine Type: Class 10/P (generates 545 Power/round) <115>
    Locations: a biological plasma gland
    Impulse Engine[s]: four Class 4B (generate no power/engine/round)
    EPS: Standard Power flow, + Power transfer/round <60>
    Standard Usable Power: 545

Operations systems
    Bridge: <60>

Computers
    Cores: [7 Power/round] <36>
    Uprating: Class Beta (+2) [2 Power/computer round] <12>
    ODN <36>

Navigational Deflector [5 Power/round] <48>
    Range: 10/20,000/50,000/150,000
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11
    Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors [5 Power/round] <65>
    Range package: Type 8 (Accuracy 3/4/7/10)
    High Resolution: 6 Light-years (0.5/0.6 – 1.0/1.1 – 4.5/4.6 – 6.0)
    Low Resolution: 18 Light-years (1.0/1.1 – 6.5/6.6 – 13.5/13.6 – 18.0)
    Strength Package: Class 9 (strength 9)
    Gain Package: Class Gamma (+3)
    Coverage: additional 1000 substances and phenomena

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <33>
    Coverage: additional 1000 substances and phenomena

Navigational Sensors: [5 Power/round] <26>
    Probes: none
    Sensor Skill: 4

Flight Control Systems
    Autopilot: Shipboard systems (flight control) 4, Coordination 3 [1 Power/round in use] <15>

Navigational Computer
    Main: Class 3 (+2) [2 Power/round] <4>
    Backups: none

Inertial Damping Field
    Main <96>
    Strength: 9 [3 Power/round]
    Number: 4
    Backup <24>
    Strength: 6 [2 Power/round]
    Number: 4
    Attitude Control [3 Power/round] <3>

Communications Systems (telepathic only)

Tractor Beams: None

Transporters
    Type: Personnel/Cargo [20 Power/use] <33>
    Pads: 12/1000 kg
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Personnel Type 12/cargo type 8 (5,000,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class (strength 10)
    Number and location: no actual transporter room site to site transport

Security Systems Rating: 1 (when needed) <4>
    Anti-Intruder System: Yes [1 Power/round] <12>
    Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <12>
    Science Systems Rating: 2 (+1) [2 Power/round] <22>
    Specialized Systems: None
    Laboratories: 12 <4>

Tactical Systems
    Repulsor Wave Generator <105>
    Type energy wave generator similar to Soliton Wave Propulsion transports
    Damage: see notes [100 Power]
    Number of Emitters: (up to 1 shots per round)
    Targeting Systems: Class Gamma (Accuracy 3/4/6/9)
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing arc: see notes (270 degrees)
    Firing Modes: Standard

TA/T/TS: Class Beta [1 Power/round] <9>
    Strength: 8
    Bonus: +1
    Weapon Skill: 3

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <130 x 4 = 520>
    Shield Generator: Class 5 (protection 1000 (+100 embedded nacelles)) [100 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type B (33% increase to 1330 Protection)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Eta (Threshold 333 (+10 embedded nacelles))
    Recharging System: Class 1 (45 seconds)
    Backup Shield Generators: none
    Auto-Destruct System: None

Auxiliary Spacecraft systems
    Shuttlebay(s): Capacity for up to 10 Size worth of ships <20>
    Standard Complement:
    Location(s): variable

Notes:
    This vessel can change its internal shape to match that of the desired needs of the crew. Although the biological crew is considered to be parasitical in comparison to that of the other biological species, however the two species rely on each other in survival one needs companion ship and the other for travel to another planet.

Repulsor Wave Generator
    the Repulsor Wave Generator produces an arc 270 degree (wave front can effects any vessel in that arc) the bioship spins on its axis sending out a spherical wave of energy that is like the Warp drive. The wave transports the vessel’s 25-30Au (equivalent to the approximate radius of our solar system) ships travel at warp 9.99 (travel time 5 seconds). Pilot must make a Moderate (5) shipboard flight control test. Pass ship takes 12d6 damage (SIF is the only protection). Dramatic failure ship takes 20d6 damage (SIF is the only protection)

Omega thank you mate, the write up seems to fit my idea of Gomtuu mostly, though I have a few questions

Weapon systems, Gomtuu had two abilities demonstrated in Tin Man, the repulsion wave and the a destructive wave generator

"The Federation established contact first through Elbrun, who telepathically warned Gomtuu of the Romulans. Gomtuu then demonstrated its defensive capabilities, destroying the Romulan Warbird and heavily damaging the USS Enterprise-D utilizing an energy wave. Later, with Elbrun and Data on board, Gomtuu came about and fired a second energy wave which propelled the Enterprise-D and a second Warbird 3.8 billion kilometers through space."

As far as the quarters, wouldn't there just be one type, say equivalent to the expanded?

I would try and define the distance of the telepathic comms (say several light years for a really sensitive telepath like Elbru)

I like the combo transporter system, good thinking though as per Space Dock the cargo component should be 4800kg's (400kg/personnel when a cargo transporter is converted to transport living beings)

I really like the integration of Soliton wave into the propulsion system, but would it not manifest as a single warp speed? Say just allow the vessel to travel at warp 9 (as per the Soliton wave write up)

What advantage or disadvantage does the 1200 su's for "biological ship" give Gomtuu?

I would have added computer automation (120su) as the vessel could operate completely by itself if required. (this could be apart of the 1200su's for biological ship (I would add the following systems computer, hull, hull/ship regeneration [which you didn't add], auto pilot as part of the "biological ship" component and not add those systems SU's as separate)

The Computer system would have a +3 bonus (bio-neural equivalent [+1], Beta uprating [+2]) I would also assign certain mental stats to Gomtuu's computer, to simulate it's sentience.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 06-28-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    AKA-Dean

I never got the sense, from the way Gomtuu was shot, that it was intended to be bigger than a Warbird. I would've guessed Size 4 or 5, maybe 6.

So would this represent Gomtuu the individual ship, or be a 'typical specimen' of its species?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I always got the impression that Gomtuu was at least the same size as a Galaxy-class (size class 8), and as there is no canon specs (or even wild speculation) one does have to make guesses as to the size. If you did make it size 6 I would suggest making more SU's available then a normal size 6 vessel, or not worry about SU's entirely.

I also got the impression from the episode Gomtuu had abundant power generation, far more then what a 10/P warp core would generate (I understand to conform to SU's compromises have to be made, so I can see why you did what you did Omega)
    AKA-Dean