Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trekkie fanboys on YouTube

IIRC headcanon showed up in tumblr fandom first, as some sort of intersection of 'one-person fanon' and 'unwritten fanfic.' It doesn't necessarily just 'fill in gaps' but also consists of radical reinterpretations of the viewed/read material or a kind of 'viewer's/reader's cut' of the material into a form more preferable to them. What I find interesting (and somewhat alienating) is that this personal read is often uninterested in or actively discarding authorial intent as a key component of absorbing the text.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    IIRC headcanon showed up in tumblr fandom first, as some sort of intersection of 'one-person fanon' and 'unwritten fanfic.' It doesn't necessarily just 'fill in gaps' but also consists of radical reinterpretations of the viewed/read material or a kind of 'viewer's/reader's cut' of the material into a form more preferable to them.
    Quite possible, and if so, the original is even a lot closer of how I look it as useful for a single gaming group. Just as long people don't think there has to be a consensus on it...

What I find interesting (and somewhat alienating) is that this personal read is often uninterested in or actively discarding authorial intent as a key component of absorbing the text.
    The intent of the author is always of interest to me, as it can give me new ideas I haven't thought of. I also want to understand the intent of the author before putting any values on it. It quite annoys me when people complains about a work being this or that, and their argument is just based on their own assumptions of the author. But if I'm preparing a game, or would write some fanfic, the intent of the original author is of absolutely no interest of me; then it is all about of how I can use, or mold, it to my needs.

Yeah, I like it when there's designer notes or at least relatively strong designer tone in games so that I can tell without too much analysis what they're trying to get at.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry