Thread: Experimental Ship Builder

Experimental Ship Builder

I needed a project to learn a couple technologies I was going to be using for work, so I opted to put together a dynamic page that facilitates the building of a Spacedock ship.

It doesn't quite have everything, and not every detail is right. For instance: torpedo targeting is standardized, and doesn't depend on what type of beams you have. Auxiliary power has been changed to Fusion Reactors. There are other minor discrepancies, but you can get pretty close to the builds in the books (which also have their own errors!).

I'd like to add printable output some day. We'll see! For now, it's here for your amusement: http://spacedock.jbenner.net

Played with for a couple of minutes what I saw I liked. excellent work. Will Play around with it more later when I have more time.

I agree, very interesting. The only problem I have with anything like this is that generators like this tend to not allow customization, unique technology or different race builds, but for what it is it is great.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

It's built with a fully-swappable and expandable data backend, so it's designed to be extended -- though yeah, not in a per-ship way.

I'm probably going to use it to let admin design ships in a rewrite of WNOHGB (http://wnohgb.org -- game I wrote as a teen when I first learned to code) that I'm working on which is inspired by Steve's work. To that end, all the data about costs, systems, etc. will actually come from the game.