Thread: Using 3d6 instead of 2d6?

Using 3d6 instead of 2d6?

Has anyone tried this?

What changes would you anticipate having to make?

Cheers!

What problem would it be trying to solve? I mean, your average result would go up by 3.5 points, so you'd be succeeding a lot more, but given how often a starting character succeeds in CODA I'm not sure what bumping up the degree of success would be helping?
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-27-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

3d6 gives a proper Bell Curve while 2d6 gives us a V, so you would have to adjust all the difficulties for sure, was wondering about damage and things.

Why not just d20 Future with 3d8 then?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Are you being difficult for a reason?

No, I'm being serious. EDIT: If you want to change it to a 3d6 and then change all the modifiers in the game proportionately by 1.5 or whatever you're rewriting essentially every instance of mechanical detail in the game. That seems like a lot of work. If you really want to, I'm not going to say don't do it, but there are already games out there that have that scale, some of which either have rules for lasers or whatever (d20 Future) or Trek conversions aplenty (GURPS).

CODA has a LOT more going for it than just the dice mechanic. All I am looking to do is adjust it to allow a better bell curve (also would use for LOTR not Trek, but no one really answers posts in the LOTR forum anymore).

I don't like d20 for many more reasons than the dice mechanic, actually I use Far Trek for my Star Trek games now, it's just more fun

Thank you for providing me with an answer, the 1.5 seems to be solid math.

Cheers!

To address your specific question upthread, I don't think you should adjust the damage values at all, since those aren't tied to the resolution mechanic.