Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klingon Raptor question

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    In canon, Klingons do not draw such a distinction. Everyone not specifically involved in running the ship at that time forms boarding parties. Warrior is the translation of the Klingon word SuvwI' "one who fights". The only closer translation would be fighter, which would lead to confusion with other English terms meaning the same thing, such as small armed attack craft. Warrior has no other meaning as a vocabulary word. Marine is actually the word in many European languages for navy. The Royal Marines, from which the US Marines copied their name and function, are merely naval infantry, and indeed are called so by most other nations. Culturally, Americans are in love with Marines, but the name should only be applied to water-borne troops, the "mar" part being derived from the Latin "marum" or "sea". The other Klingon word for "warrior" is vaj. When Klingons speak English, they translate vaj and SuvwI' as warrior.

The use of the word marine in FASA writings is simply anachronistic US jingoism, and in Star Fleet Battles, even more so.
    Holy $hit !!

You really do have a burr up your a$$ about this!

Before TNG there were no real "canon Klingons" and JMF's and FASA's are still beloved by many.

I didn't need the Latin or history lessons. And was just trying to make the point that what modern day ( and historical) Marine troops do is pretty similar to what the (obviously despised by some) FASA marines do.

And that I would be surprised that Klingon society would not specifically train elite forces to fight and ONLY fight.

Live and let live -except, obviously not here.

Time to leave I think?

Search for 'marine' threads from 2000 or thereabouts. IIRC the topic was banned at some point...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I was wondering about the "marine thread' reference, as it was referred to in another thread and I ask the question why 'marine talk' was not allowed, makes sense now as it seems to be a controversial topic on this board.

As far as the Federation goes, they too don't use the term 'marine' AFAIK, they have Starfleet Rangers (primarily planetary operations unit), Rapid Response Team (primarily ship board operations) , MACO (Military/Assault/Command/Operations, as seen on NX-Enterprise) and the Andorian Trachka (specialized Andorian multi-mission soldier), all are 'specialized' military units capable of fulfilling a professional soldiers role.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.