Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Romulan War campaign

Star Trek: Romulan War campaign

Having started a Star Trek campaign this weekend, set during the Earth-Romulan war, I had looked around, researching any material associated with that I could find. There's plenty of material in places like Memory Alpha and Beta, as well as dozens of other places, on the war itself and how it played out. Frankly, that was too much information, so I promptly ignored it all and decided to do it my way.

As for ideas for adventures during that time, I couldn't find much of anything. Certainly not much with a "wartime" feel to it. For that I went and dug up my old Space: Above and Beyond series dvds, since my players aren't familiar with it (it's a short tv series from over twenty years old, I believe.) Basing my campaign very loosely on that, I was able to come up with a bunch of potential adventures for this era. Since I'm already scratching out a rough draft for the campaign, I figured I'd copy and paste it all here as I develop it, with a mind toward any GMs who might want to use it for their own play.

Basic background notes and scratch first:

Setting
    Era: Enterprise Era/Earth-Romulan War (2156+)
    Region: Sector 001 and bordering sectors
    Travelling: Starfleet Vessel, Shuttlecraft
    (In my campaign this is the NV-13 "Valiant", an Enterprise-era Intrepid class, but GMs should note that Neptune, NX-, Columbus and Daedalus classes are all available during this era as well).

Crew
    Organization: Starfleet (see notes on Rank below*)
    Mission: Wartime support, reconnaissance and ground-based special operations.
    Composition: Human (predominantly), Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, Coridanite, Denobulan, Rigelian and any other naturalized alien United Earth citizen. Inter-species exchange programs are also viable.

Base of Operations
    Mobile Bases: PC starship; Starfleet 3rd Battle Group (5th Squad, 2nd Wing).
    Stationary Bases: Starbases 1 and 2.

Technology
    Era Technology: 22nd Century.
    Available Technology: (In my campaign: plasma-based personal weapons, hull polarization, no ship shield, no matter transporters (as a means of transportation), ship grapplers).

Adversity
    Threat and Opposition: Romulan military aggression, Terrorist Romulan sympathizers, various wartime situations and environments.

Feel
    "War is hell"

Enterprise Era Starfleet Ranks*

NCO
    Crewman 3rd Class
    Crewman 2nd Class
    Crewman 1st Class

OFFICER
    Ensign
    Lieutenant
    Commander
    Captain
    Commodore
    Rear Admiral
    Vice Admiral

Series Rank and Standing, Advancement and Experience
    This campaign assumes standard character generation without any initial advancements granted by the GM. Consequently player characters will likely be fresh out of the academy, of Ensign or Lieutenant rank and probably won't have the command edge. Characters with the Command edge are assumed to be in command of the team, rather than any ship department. Player characters are expected to simulate their own promotions, command assignments and commendations through standard player character advancement (via experience in game). However, it is reasonable for the GM to reward players in-game with free promotion, command and commendation edges depending on their gameplay during the campaign, allowing the players to spend advancements on other areas of improvement. It is highly recommended, and the campaign tends to assume, that the player characters eventually take command of their ship and its associated departments.
    * See bottom of post for suggestion on exp rewards and advancement.

Additionally, the player characters are assumed from the beginning to be their ship's standard, go-to away team, to justify the inordinate amount of time they are to spend off the ship in this campaign.

They should also serve as bridge crew in order to participate in the campaign's several space battles. This will likely be Beta or Gamma shift (reserving Alpha shift for those NPC members of the command crew who probably outrank the player characters). Nonetheless, the GM need only wave a hand and declare these space-based events just so happen to occur during the player character's bridge-shift, whatever shift that might be and whatever position they hold in the ship's chain of command. Our player characters are the heroes around here, after all.

The Player's Ship
    The GM can toss any Enterprise-era ship to the players as they like (even creating an entirely new class) and need only tailor space battles in accordance with that. In my own campaign the players were given an Intrepid class (Enterprise-era, not to be confused with the Voyager-era Intrepid class). This put the player's ship at slightly less tough than the NX or Columbus class (but certainly superior to a Neptune) in order to justify their spending so much time doing things other than fighting on the front lines. Their ship, being deemed weaker than NX, Columbus or Daedalus class vessels, receives special missions away from the front lines (or, occasionally, behind them).

Crew Equipment
    Standard GI (general issue) gear for the player character "away team" is:
    * Communicator: Built in translator program limited to: Earth Standard, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, Denobulan, Coridan and Rigelian; Internal locator allowing tracking from orbit by the player's ship; Duration: 500 hours, rechargable; Range: 100km.
    * Hand Scanner: +2 bonus to all relevant tests when used. (Alternately, GM may rule this era offers specialized scanners, such as tactical, engineering and individual sciences, offering a +3 bonus to that specific use.)
    * Combat Knife: Damage: 1d6+2 (+Str modifier)
    * EM-33 Sidearm: Damage: 3d6+6; Range: 5/10/20/30/+10; Energy: 50 shots
    * EM-41 Pulse Rifle, Type III: Damage: 3d6+12; Range: 5/30/60/120/+30; Energy: 250 shots
    * Other Gear: Player characters can request, and most likely be granted, any other gear relevant to their mission (universal translators, for example, or plasma grenades). Bear in mind that matter transporters are not utilized as transportation in this era, though the player characters are free to use it in that manner (suffering very real risks, and probably against the direct orders of superiors). Transportation to and from the surface of planets (and most everywhere else) will be via shuttle, allowing the player characters to take along more gear (per GMs approval) than they can necessarily carry.

Campaign Particulars
    * The Vulcans have opted to sit out the Romulan war, leaving it to the Humans, who they are inclined to believe instigated the war. In addition, Vulcan High Command is assumed to still be rooting out Romulan infiltrators in their government and Vulcan sympathizers among the populuce, which also impacts this decision.
    * The various other allied members of the soon-to-be Coalition (Andoria, Tellar, Denobula, Rigel and Coridan) offer token support for similar reasons. As the Coalition is yet to be, the future members of the organization are reluctant to enter into a war that is largely seen as a Human problem.
    * Starfleet is still very "humanocentric" during this era, and certainly still a United Earth organization, but this does not preclude non-Human species being present on Starfleet vessels as naturalized United Earth citizens, even in command positions. In my own campaign the ranking officer of the team is an Orion, born in Texas, who will eventually be granted command of the ship.

As for the Romulan/Vulcan Common Ancestry and Cloaking Tech Problems..
    * Romulan cloaking tech deteriorates rapidly in effectiveness during the course of the war until the Romulans are forced to abandon it entirely, due to Starfleet becoming better and better at overcoming it. This is represented in the campaign as cloaked Romulan vessels becoming easier to detect, until it eventually becomes useless to them.
    * Romulans may or may not be revealed as a subspecies of Vulcan by the player characters during the course of the campaign. This should not be an easy thing for them to do, with Romulan soldiers wearing full-body armor/body suits with built-in thermite charges and Romulan ships auto-destructing when disabled or self-destructed by their Romulan commanders (or whatever else the GM comes up with). This is all a mere nod to established Star Trek canon, but it should not be impossible for the player characters to uncover this. In my campaign the players decided from the start that it'd be a lot of fun trying to "discover" Romulan-Vulcan common ancestry, however meta that might be. They succeeded in our first adventure, despite my best efforts.
    * GM's are certainly free to say, "Who cares?", and ignore both of these two points. It's probably easier to just let the Romulans be a Vulcan subspecies (or at least just look a lot like Vulcan) and let them have cloaking tech long before established Star Trek canon allows them to. In the end it's just a game and "Who cares?" is a reasonable response to canon, IMHO.

Adventure Timeline, Advancement
    1 Training Day (November 2156)
    2 Bridge Duty (November 2156)
    3 Far From Home I (December 2156)
    4 Far From Home II (December 2156)
    5 The Bone Ring (April 2157)
    6 Mutiny (June 2157)
    7 Soldier's Creed (August 2157)
    8 Ex Vivo (December 2157)
    9 Fear Itself (June 2158)
    10 Trojan Horse (August 2158)
    11 Prisoners of War (September 2158)
    12 Rogue Moon (June 21, 2159)
    13 Rommie von Richtofen (July 21, 2159)
    14 Tank Girl (September 2159)
    15 Dead Drop (December 2159)
    16 Sugar Dirt (May 2160)
    17 Cheron (July 2160)

*Experience Rewards: In my campaign, I have determined to offer experience in the following manner in order to provide Advancements roughly per adventure and per game-time year, as so...

Successful completion of tests related to story objectives - As normal, per NG p.125
    Successful completion of adventure - 2000 experience (divided among crew)
    Successful completion of individual scenes - 100 experience per character
    Exceptional roleplay or problem solving - 20, 50, 75 or 100 experience per character
    Each passing year, game time - 1000 experience per character

Player characters should then earn three advancements for in-game time passing (3 passing years) and roughly one advancement per adventure, for a total of approximately 20 advancements by campaign's end.

Adventure outlines to follow...
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 11-01-2015 at 10:16 PM.

RT:SW, Episode 1: Training Day

Here's a rough outline of our first adventure, played this weekend. I'll add notes from our actual game-play after, but this is the outline I built the adventure on. I'll present adventures in this fashion from here on, rather than fully detailed adventures, as I think GM input and control is a must for a good adventure. Every GM has their own style and this cannot/should not be dictated. Also, it's less work for me.

Act One: Introduction
    Immediately prior to their assignment to the ship, the PC team is dropped on an uninhabited planet with a harsh environment, part of the final stage of their training. Their "mission" is to navigate through two waypoints to their extraction site. Unfortunately, this training mission occurs during the initial stages of the Romulan invasion and the PC's unexpectedly come under attack by the survivors of a crashed Romulan military shuttle.

Hook
    The training mission takes place in the Alpha Centauri system, fourth planet. While uninhabitable, this planet plays host to the first interstellar planetary probe sent by the UESPA decades ago. It has become tradition for "away team" trainees to navigate to the probe's location as their first waypoint, touching the probe in passing as a solemn acknowledgement of Starfleet's general mission of exploration and discovery, before proceeding on to their next waypoint.
    Conditions: Environmental suit penalties (-2 physical test) and limited oxygen supply (10 hours). Optional high/low gravity.
    Play: Navigating to first waypoint (Survival or Planetary Science tests, supplemented by hand scanners). Optional: gravity fatigue tests or other environmental hazards.

Plot Turn 1
    Departing their first waypoint and having paid homage to the planetary survey probe, the PCs witness the blazing trail of a crashing vessel and must choose either to investigate or continue on to their second waypoint. In either case, a shallow, miles long fissure must be crossed.
    Conditions: As before. Communications other than suit-to-suit are discovered to be jammed, no contact with superiors.
    Play: Determining distance to crash site (Survival or penalized Observe tests, supplemented by hand scanners); Navigating to crash site or next waypoint - (as before); Negotiating hazardous terrain (Survival or Athletics test, penalized by environmental suit -2, possible injury/suit damage)

Act Two: Confrontation
    If players navigated to crash site, they discover a wrecked shuttle of unknown type. Vessel was clearly armed and armed but is now a burning hunk of scrap metal. Romulan marines attempt to ambush the team.
    If players navigated to second waypoint, they are expected to find a roughly fist-sized stone and add it to the large pile of stones at the waypoint, just as other teams before them have. Romulan marines attempt to ambush them here, having taken cover behind the rock pile.

Pinch 1
    Examination of crash shuttle reveals little useful, other than the possibility of survivors. If players navigated to second waypoint, then they are assumed to place their stone on the pile and may then be taken by surprise.
    Conditions: As before, suit penalties and no communication with superiors.
    Play: Examining the crashed shuttle (Engineering, Investigate or Repair tests); Noting possibility of survivors (Observe); Detecting Romulan marines in hiding (Observe; +2 bonus if aware of possible survivors); Combat with equivalent number of wounded Romulan marines ("Injured" wound levels (-3 penalty to tests), equivalent combat skills, Keen Hearing bonus (+4), Disruptor rifles: Damage 3d6+6, Range 5/30/60/120/+30).

Midpoint
    Player characters recover from combat and aftermath. Any captured Romulans commit suicide by poison capsule or bodysuit thermite charges. Likewise, the bodies of Romulans killed in the fight are destroyed. (As the GM wishes, player may or may not have the opportunity to see a Romulan face to face - the campaign assumes not). In the end, players should be aware the shuttle belonged to this alien race and was shot down by system or orbital defenses, suggesting hostilities are ongoing in orbit and/or in system. Player characters will now likely continue on to second waypoint or directly to extraction point.
    Conditions: As before, suit penalties and no communication with superiors, possible wounded among the player team.
    Play: Rendering First Aid; Repairing environmental suit damage (TN 5 +1 per 5 points of damage sustained by wearer); Examining dead Romulans (Investigate, Medicine or Life Science); Examining wreckage (Engineering, Repair); Hacking romulan computer gear for intel (Computer Use)

Pinch 2
    Player characters should now navigate either to the extraction point, or onward to waypoint two, then the extraction point. Unfortunately, getting to extraction is complicated by a sudden dust storm, hindering visibility and navigation.
    Condition: As before, suit penalties and no communication with superiors, possible wounded
    Play: Navigating to second waypoint - (as before); Determining the dust storm will outlast their oxygen reserves, and so cannot be waited out (Planetary Science, Survival); Navigating to extraction during a dust storm (Survival or Planetary Science test, lack of visibility cancelling out bonus from hand scanners)
    Optional: Attacked or stalked by native predatory animal.

Plot Turn 2
    Arriving at the extraction point, the players find their shuttle waiting for them, but its clearly been damaged by fighting either in orbit or during insertion and requires repair. Additionally, the pilot apparently survived long enough to land the shuttle, but has since succumbed to his wounds, so one of the PCs must pilot it. On the positive side, the shuttle is structurally intact, its environmental systems relieving the PCs of concerns for their oxygen supply.
    Play: Diagnosing and repairing shuttle (Repair, System Engineering, standard or emergency repairs); Contacting superiors through communications jamming (System Operation: Communications); Piloting out of the gravity well and docking with training vessel in orbit. (System Operation: Flight Control, System Operation: Communications)

Act Three: Resolution
    Arriving safe and sound aboard the training vessel, the PCs learn that the supposed Romulan pirates terrorizing traders over the last few years have somehow managed to field a force large enough to attack across two whole sectors of space (sectors 006 and 008). Alpha Centauri Defense Forces have managed to push back the handful of Romulan frigates and warbirds that breached the system, but not before several space facilities were lost and ground targets on Proxima, the Alpha Centauri home world, were destroyed. They are currently holding the line out near the AC asteroid belt while Starfleet scrambles to respond.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-30-2015 at 06:49 PM.

ST:RW, Episode 2: Bridge Duty

During the second adventure, our PCs get to play with their starship a little, as the entire adventure occurs in space. Also, space battles!

Act One: Introduction[/B]
    Two weeks after the aborted invasion of Alpha Centauri, local defenses forces managed to hold off the advancing Romulan vessels long enough to expend their initial drive, forcing them back and, eventually, into retreat in deep space. At this time, scout missions can only confirm the Romulans aren't anywhere within a few lightyears of the system at present. Size and disposition of enemy forces is unclear.

On the larger scale, deep space sensor and communications relays across both sectors were all hit during the initial hours of the invasion, so inter-system subspace communication is spotty at best and most star systems have no way of detecting approaching enemy vessels other than conducting deep space patrols. Several skirmishes have taken place along various fronts and the lines seem to be stabilizing. Starfleet has finally mobilized in force, holding the line at Alpha Centauri, Beta Rigel and Sculptoris, and is busy replacing sensor buoys and communication relays.

PCs are currently assigned to their ship as the official away team and assigned to Beta shift bridge (evening shift) or Gamma shift bridge (late evening to early morning), as the GM prefers. After two weeks the PCs can be expected to be passingly familiar with the ship and crew, familiar with their bridge stations and well acquainted with one another as a team.

Hook
    The Valiant is assigned to deep space patrol (beyond the reach of Alpha Centauri scans), scouting for enemy activity anywhere near the system. Their secondary mission objective is to replace the local sensor relay as well as deploying a subspace transceiver, both well outside the boundaries of the system. The Valiant must navigate to waypoint one, deploy the sensor relay, confirm that it's operating effectively, then navigate to waypoint two, to deploy a subspace communications relay, all while maintaining vigil for any sign of approaching enemy.
    The PC's first bridge duty (in this adventure) ends once navigation to waypoint two is confirmed. The next shift then take over to actually fly there.
    Conditions: Forces in Alpha Centauri have no deep space awareness other than through the Valiant's own sensors until the sensor relay is deployed. After which, Alpha Centauri can be assumed aware of any deep space movement or event near their system. This includes being aware of anything occurring with the Valiant after the relay is deployed. Likewise the Valiant is aware of anything the sensor relay is aware of from this point forward, assuming the sensor operator bothers to keep an eye on the sensor relay's reports.
    The PCs are then relieved by the next bridge shift and have a couple of hours to do as they please before they have to hit the rack. Shifts aboard the ship are assumed to be eight hours, giving the PC's eight hours of bridge duty, eight hours of individual department duty and up to eight hours of sleep time. The PCs can easily decide to loose a little sleep and run about the ship for a while if they like, but the GM should keep that to two hours or less, else they get slapped with fatigue penalties.
    Play: Confirm navigation to waypoint one (Science: Space/Astrogation); Warp to waypoint one (System Operations: Flight Control; duration: 4 hours, half the PC's duty shift); Deploy sensor relay (System Operations: Flight Control or Sensors); Confirm sensor relay's operational status (System Operations: Sensors); Confirm navigation to waypoint two (Science: Space/Astrogation); Detect enemy activity within range of ship's sensors during this portion of the adventure (System Operations: Sensors, multiple tests)

Plot Turn 1
    Arriving at waypoint two, the PCs take over the bridge for their duty shift. Their first order of business is to maintain sensor sweeps to detect enemy activity and to deploy the subspace communication relay.
    Conditions: Alpha Centauri enjoys no realtime subspace communication beyond their star system until the relay is deployed. (It should be noted that they can technically use the Valiant's subspace communications system to contact other systems, but it's up to the GM to decide whether they do this, giving the Valiant's communications officer something to do.)
    Play: Deploy subspace communications relay (System Operations: Flight Control or Sensors); Confirm comm relay's operational status (System Operations: Communications or Sensors); Detect enemy activity within range of ship's sensors during this portion of the adventure (System Operations: Sensors, multiple tests)
    Optional: While the rest of the bridge crew is busy deploying and testing the subspace communications relay, a space anomaly could give your sensor operator something to sweat about, as it acts like a cloaked Romulan frigate until they get a solid sensor reading on it.

Once both relays are deployed and tested, the PCs bridge duty shift ends. As before they have a little time (an hour or two) to explore the ship and do as they please before they hit the rack and take their shift on the bridge again, but this is optional and entirely up to the GM. Once they take the bridge for their next shift, the communications operator (or sensor operator) detects an encrypted scouting report from the Neptune-class vessel in the nearby Teneebia system. This report is being relayed through the subspace communications relay the Valiant deployed, to Alpha Centauri Defense Forces. Any attempts by the Valiant to contact the Neptune meet with silence and no further reports are received.
    The report itself cites a group of eight Romulan frigates, led by a Bird of Prey, passing the system en route to Alpha Centauri. In light of all other intelligence (which the PCs are privy to) this suggests what Starfleet already assumes: the main Romulan force is moving in on Beta Rigel, with a secondary force moving toward Sculptoris. Both approaches ignore Earth's proximity to Romulan space and an easy approach through Teneebia and Alpha Centauri in favor of taking Starfleet forces head on at Beta Rigel and Sculptoris. Consequently Starfleet is already preparing to shore up fronts at both those systems, leaving Teneebia unguarded (other than the Neptune scouting there) and leaving Alpha Centauri largely to its own devices.
    However, the communications officer (of sensor operator, if none) aboard the Valiant may detect irregularities in both the encryption and the format of the Neptune's scouting report. That, coupled with the fact that the Neptune does not respond to further communication (if the PCs even attempt it), sheds a little doubt on the reports validity. If the Valiant contacts Alpha Centauri Defense Forces with this information, this leads to the Admiral there to doubt the commonly accepted intelligence, wondering if Alpha Centauri is in more danger than he thought. (If the PCs do not contact Alpha Centauri with this information, the ship's captain does once he comes on duty).
    Conditions: The Valiant and Alpha Centauri Defense both now have access to the sensor relay's data, covering a large chuck of deep space on approach from that direction. Likewise both now enjoy long range communication with other systems and with Starfleet, as other systems are assumed to have been successful in deploying their replacement communications relays as well. The Valiant can now perform it's primary mission (scouting for approaching enemies) either by listening quietly to the sensor relay (not the best course of action), patrolling while utilizing only passive sensors (the best course), or running about pinging wildly with active long range sensors (not a great idea, for obvious reasons).
    Play: Conduct scouting patrol (System Operations: Sensors and System Operation: Flight Control); Monitor data from the communications relay (System Operations: Communications); Monitor data from the sensor relay (System Operations: Sensors); Detecting the Neptune's encrypted scouting report being relayed through the communications relay (System Operations: Communications); Decrypting the intelligence report (Computer Use/Decryption); Determine discrepancies in the encrypted report are due to probable false report by enemy intelligence (Investigate/Deduce or Research, or Computer Use); Routine maintenance or any needed repairs (System Operations: Engineering)

Pinch 1
    With the Admiral of the Alpha Centauri Defense Forces now uncertain of the accepted intelligence (that the Romulans are moving in force toward Beta Rigel and Sculptoris, rather than Alpha Centauri), the Valiant is ordered to continue deep space patrol rather than returning to system. They must now widen their search and detect the approaching Romulan fleet, preferably without being detected themselves.
    From this point forward, the utility of those other two bridge shifts (including the ship's captain's) become important. Anything important that the PCs fail to do, one of those two shifts can do in their stead. For example, if the PCs fail to detect the fleet, even once it's detected them, the next shift can detect it by GM fiat.
    If the PCs detect the approaching fleet, but are detected by them in turn, they must then flee to Alpha Centauri ahead of that fleet, while communicating the situation and disposition to Alpha Centauri. Should they be detected and fail to evade engagement, the PCs must conduct a running battle, while attempting to disengage and go to warp, of a slightly more than equivalent enemy (we don't want to beat them up too terrible, as there's more space battle to come). One or two Romulan frigates should do for most ships, a Bird of Prey and frigate for most others, as the GM determines. The goal for the PCs is not to go toe-to-toe with an entire Romulan fleet, but rather to go to warp and flee without being shot up too much.
    Conditions: Communications and sensor relays are up and running. A false scouting report is likely the result of enemy forces sending Starfleet encrypted messages from Teneebia system, suggesting the Neptune there and the system itself have been lost. The Romulan main fleet is on approach to the Alpha Centauri system, intending to seize it quickly and use it as a staging point for an assault against Earth.
    Play: Determine a patrol path for the Valiant to follow (Science: Space/Astrogation); Detect incoming Romulan fleet by active long range or passive sensors (System Operations; Sensors); Space combat, with the goal being to avoid engagement with the enemy and flee ahead to Alpha Centauri (requiring disengaging from any enemy attacking the Valiant and reaching extended range to warp away).
    Players may engage in a number of different activities while in "combat" with Romulan forces, such as conducting scans on their vessels, for intelligence purposes (System Operations: Sensors); recording and "hacking" the Romulan language for the universal translator (System Operations: Sensors or Computer Use); "Pushing the Engines" to help escape the Romulan fleet (Engineering: Propulsion; TN 10+ the Valiant's maximum speed; see the Narrator's Guide, p. 99) or anything else the player's can come up with.

(continued)
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-30-2015 at 06:50 PM.

(continued)

Midpoint
    Now aware that the main fleet is approaching Alpha Centauri, local defense forces are caught off guard. Most Starfleet vessels that were in the system (with the exception of the Valiant) are on their way to Beta Rigel or Sculptoris, via nearby Earth. Currently the Alpha Centauri Defense Forces (a few secondhand Neptunes and Intrepids) and a couple dozen armed UESPA freighters, science and survey vessels are all the locals have to field. Alpha Centauri is simply not prepared and the Starfleet vessels heading for Earth will take a while turning around and warping back.
    The Romulan fleet has to be delayed someway, somehow. And that task falls to the Valiant. The Admiral of the AC Defense Forces orders the Valiant, on Starfleet authority, to hide in the asteroid belt and perform a few hit-n-runs on the Romulan fleet from behind, drawing off one or two frigates while forcing the fleet to slow its advance. Done correctly, this should give the Alpha Centauri forces time to form up and dig in, as well as allowing a few Starfleet NX's and Daedalus's to arrive.
    Having escaped the fleet and already arriving in-system, the Valiant must now find a good hiding spot in the asteroid belt, hide there without being detected by the very large Romulan fleet passing by and quickly repair any damage it may have suffered up to this point...because it's about to suffer more.
    Condition: As before, though the Valiant is presumed to be in-system by now and friendly forces are relatively nearby. It's up to the GM whether the asteroid belt serves as a space hazard, as well.
    Play: "Run Silent" (per Narrator's Guide p.103); Passive sensor monitoring of the Romulan Fleet as it passes (System Operations: Sensors); Relaying intelligence gathered to Alpha Centauri defense without being detected by the Romulan fleet (System Operations: Communication); Repairing ship damage (per Narrator's Guide, p.121-123)

Pinch 2
    Once the fleet passes into the system (hopefully without detecting the Valiant) the PCs must dart out, engage and attack, escape to extended range again, then rinse and repeat until the fleet finally sends a frigate back to deal with it (as well as to determine if that's just one lone ship out there or if there's a large Starfleet contingent sneaking up on them). Done correctly, this slows the fleet enough that defense forces can prepare and Starfleet vessels that were heading for Earth return to the system to pitch in. This will put both forces on roughly even footing and make defending the Alpha Centauri system an actual possibility.
    Condition: As before, in close proximity to the Romulan fleet, with access to the asteroid belt nearby and with friendly forces on the far side of the enemy fleet.
    Play: Combat maneuvers, engaging and disengaging with the Romulan fleet; Combat with the Romulan frigate sent to deal with them (again, one or two successful hit-n-runs in order to draw it far enough away from the fleet that the Valiant can safely engage the frigate); Monitoring Romulan fleet transmissions at close proximity and relay this intelligence to Alpha Centauri forces (both System Operations: Communications)

*Harassing the Romulan fleet (numbering roughly twenty to thirty frigates and Birds of Prey) can be handled by simply giving the players a certain number of "hits" to achieve on any individual vessels in the fleet. Return fire can be determined randomly (a certain number of automatic hits on the player ship) depending on the range between the PC ship and the Romulan fleet. Even harassed in this manner, most ships won't bother firing back at, for example extended range. On the other hand, if the PC ship decides to get close enough to do some damage (in range to get some penetration with their attacks), the fleet can be sure to damage them very badly in return. Regardless, once the PCs have damaged the shields of one or more Romulan vessels enough times (as the GM determines), the fleet will be forced to slow its advance and send a ship or two to engage the PCs.
    In my game, I'll instruct the PCs to strike ten times on one or more vessels in the fleet, at whatever range they prefer. Doing any actual damage, other than shield damage, is not required. The entire exercise is to harass the fleet, force them to slow their advance and send ships back to engage the PCs.

Plot Turn 2
    Assuming the Valiant was successful in slowing the fleet and forcing a confrontation with a frigate or two (and surviving battle), the Romulan fleet finds itself arrayed against Alpha Centauri Defense Forces, dozens of armed UESPA vessels and a few Starfleet ships. Altogether, this is problematic and not at all the easy win the fleet was expecting. The two forces square off and collide in a massive, system-wide fleet battle, during which the Valiant has its own trouble to deal with.
    Aware that this troubling lone ship is back there behind them, this is not something the Romulan fleet can tolerate, considering it's now facing a serious defense force. This time they don't send a frigate against the Valiant, but a Bird of Prey, which is quite capable of chasing them down and forcing a confrontation.
    Conditions: The Romulan fleet is now fully engaged with the arrayed Alpha Centauri defense fleet. The PCs should be granted the determination of where their fight with the Romulan Bird of Prey occurs, either in the asteroid belt or not (depending on whether the GM has ruled the asteroid belt a hazard).
    Play: A straight up, one-on-one fight with a Romulan Bird of Prey (various Combat maneuvers); Emergency ship repairs (Narrator's Guide, p.121-123).

In the end the Valiant should be triumphant, if probably not in very great shape. Starfleet, UESPA forces and Centauri defense holds its own against the Romulan fleet, even pushing it back to the system border. Over the next several days, with the fight shifting back and forth a bit, the conflict finally settles in and Alpha Centauri is established as the front line in this area, with several more Starfleet vessels arriving to shore things up. Both Proxima and Earth are, at least for now, relatively safe.

Note: Stats for the Enterprise-era Romulan Bird of Prey are available at http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org/. For the Romulan "frigate" mentioned above, GM's are of course free to stat one out fully, but if they're lazy (like me), just knock their Structure down to 15 and take away their Disruptors. Weakened to cannon fodder in this way, you can probably throw them at your players two at a time and get away with it.

These two adventures, together, are inspired by the pilot episode of Space: Above and Beyond. They provide a relatively simple starting planetside adventure and a taste of space combat against superior numbers. Following adventures will be based on those individual episodes I could wrangle a Star Trek wartime adventure out of, and so have a bit more substance to them.

That's it for now. I'll submit more rough drafts as the campaign progresses.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-27-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Added an adventure timeline and notes/suggestions on experience and advancement rewards to the first post, above.

Can I just say that this thread is excellent? I love the approach you're taking and the Space: Above and Beyond inspiration is a smart call. Look forward to reading more.

Quote Originally Posted by Renny View Post
    Can I just say that this thread is excellent? I love the approach you're taking and the Space: Above and Beyond inspiration is a smart call. Look forward to reading more.
    Aw, shucks.

ST:RW, Episode 3: Far From Home I

Location/Date: Sirius (Alpha Canus Majoris), December 2156

Less than a month after the events of Training Day and Bridge Duty, Andoria requests aid in responding to the unexpected occupation of a colony near the edge of Andorian space. At present Andorian space forces are stretched thin maintaining patrols in other areas and even the token aid offered to Starfleet on the front lines has left them stretched thin. They are unable, at present, to respond as promptly or effectively to this intrusion as Starfleet can.

Starfleet is more than willing to respond, considering this represents a practically unheard call for aid from Andoria. Success in this venture could very well prove itself a diplomatic windfall for Earth/Andoria relations at a critical time in the war effort. The PC vessel is ordered to enter the system and conduct an away team mission on the surface. Primary mission objective is to recon the ground-side Romulan base. Secondary objective is to secure the safety of any Andorian survivors and remove them to the Valiant (PC's vessel), once the primary objective is achieved.

Plot Turn 1
    Arriving in the Sirius system, the PC must detect the Romulan Bird of Prey in orbit and conduct scans to determine the situation on the surface.
    The PCs will likely not be in command of the vessel at this point. In such a case the captain dispatches the PC away team to their mission via shuttle to the surface. He then matches speed and orientation with the enemy Bird of Prey, keeping the planet between them in a cat-n-mouse game. This keeps the Bird of Prey on the move and unable to engage the Valiant, while preventing it from stopping and dealing with the PC on the ground directly for fear the Valiant will seize the advantage. This effectively removes the Romulan Bird of Prey as a danger factor in the away team mission.
    If the PCs have already somehow taken command of the ship, then their options are open and they can respond as they like. Taking on the Bird of Prey, if they feel able to engage it, is probably the best course of action. Otherwise, they will have to determine how they're going to conduct an away team mission with a Bird of Prey in orbit that has the capability of tracking them for the ground based patrols and even dropping fission missiles on them from orbit, should they wander far enough away from Romulan friendlies on the ground.
    Conditions: Sirius is a binary system, with two class A companion stars. Sirius I is a lone semi-habitable planet in epistellar orbit, made remarkable by the near astronomical unlikelihood of its existence in such a system. Nevertheless, Sirius I (known as Kartha by Andorians) proves unremarkable on closer examination.
    It has a standard, Earth-like density, gravity and atmosphere, and supports a very simple ecology. Small herbivores, thin patches of short forests and wide swaths of waist-high brush and foliage are the norm. The PCs will not require EVA suits and aren't likely to encounter predatory or aggressive creatures, so standard GI gear should be sufficient for the mission. PCs should request any additional gear they feel is required before boarding the shuttle (parachutes or camouflaged gear that offers a small Stealth bonus, for example).
    Play: PCs in command of the Valiant may wish to Run Silent (NG p.103) if they approach undetected, in an attempt to drop the away team without the Bird of Prey being aware. They may also attempt Jamming Communications or Jamming Sensors (or both; NG p.107) to prevent the Bird of Prey from coordinating with ground forces or even detecting the away team on the surface. Attempts to observe or gather intel on either the Bird of Prey or the Romulan ground base from orbit (Starship Operations: Sensors). Space combat is also a viable option prior to shuttling down to the surface.
    Note: In light of the unusual nature of the planet, Narrator's should be prepared to reward Science-minded characters who take the time to investigate the planet's various features (ecology, geology, etc). Discovering characteristics of the planet that aid them in moving stealthily and avoiding patrols are also a nice reward.

The PCs must shuttle down to the surface, avoiding Romulan air defense in the process, and land safely at or near the Andorian colony.
    Conditions: The Andorian colony itself is small, having been manned by fewer than two dozen workers and scientists. It's primary purpose was surveying the planet for possible later terraforming (or, perhaps, Andor-forming?). The entire colony is made up of eight small, prefabricated housing and laboratory structures, all destroyed in the attack. Two tracked all-terrain vehicles are onsite, but both have been damaged.
    Play: Piloting the shuttle away from the Valiant and into atmo (System Operations: Flight Control) and landing at or near the colony itself (again, System Operations: Flight Control). Combat situations in atmosphere.
    Note: Upon entering atmosphere the shuttle immediately comes into conflict with ground-based anti-air defenses. This is handled as a standard space combat; the shuttle versus a stationary opponent. Unless the PCs opt for a suicidal air attack on the Romulan base, they need only attempt to avoid being detected (System Operations: Sensors or Flight Control, TN 15) and maneuver to "Point Blank" range of the Romulan airbase (the location of the colony), before landing at their preferred site.
    Note: PCs should be given the opportunity to create shuttles for their vessels (via standard starship construction rules) prior to the adventure, else the Narrator must.
    Suggested Romulan Air Defense stats (2d6+10 vs. shuttle protection; Missiles; Penetration: 2/1/0/0/0).

Pinch 1
    Once landed, the PCs explore the wrecked Andorian colony and search for survivors, finding only one traumatized colonist.
    Conditions: The various prefab buildings that make up the colony are all burned out husks from the air attack weeks ago. Romulan ground forces have already given them a cursory search, capturing survivors but not bothering looking for intel in what is obviously a civilian research colony. The lone, terrified survivor in this area is hiding among the wreckage of one of the buildings, and won't be found without scanning the area with hand scanners or conducting a coordinated search of the area. An attempt to physically search the area will be interrupted by a passing Romulan ground patrol (jumping to the Midpoint scene below).
    The Andorian survivor, when found, is terrified and badly traumatized. Having survived up to this point on his own, he can be expected to respond to any threat or danger (such as a Romulan patrol happening by) by fleeing and attempting to hide. Dealing with the survivor's irrational behavior may call for Social tests, if not physically restraining him. In any case, the Narrator should keep in mind that the PCs are aliens to the survivor and gaining his trust (or even controlling him) will be difficult.
    Play: Scanning the area for survivors with hand scanners (Computer Use or Life Science); appropriate Social tests vs a badly traumatize Andorian survivor. Investigating the ruins for intel and information (Investigate); Possible First Aid or Medical treatment to gain the survivors trust or simply heal injuries the Narrator decides require treatment.
    Note: The Narrator may have to stat damaged Andorian all-terrain vehicles if the PCs opt (unwisely, as they're hardly stealthy) to repair and use them. These are intended mainly to provide salvage materials in case the PCs require extensive repair to their shuttle.

Midpoint
    PCs come into possible contact with a small Romulan patrol and must either defend themselves or avoid detection, either of which the survivor probably won't make easy for them. This encounter occurs after the PCs have had the opportunity to discover and interact with the survivor, but before he is able to provide any useful information.
    Conditions: As above; however, the survivor may make any course of action the PCs chose difficult by behaving irrationally and possible alerting the Romulan patrol. If the PCs come into conflict with the Romulans, and the survivor does not feel safe with them, he will flee and hide, forcing the PCs to find him again and undoing any progress they may have made with him.
    The patrol itself should be equivalent to the PCs, but a slightly weaker group of opponents can work as well, considering the PCs still have much to do on this planet. The Narrator should consider how well the PC team can render First Aid, bearing in mind that any Wound levels will likely penalize tests in both this and the following adventure, should the PCs prove are unable to address Wound levels effectively.
    Play: Various possible Social tests against the Andorian survivor; Stealth versus the Romulan patrol; Possible combat with patrol.

Pinch 2
    PCs may learn from the survivor that other survivors have been taken by Romulans. Evidence that there are other survivors that have been taken captive may also be discovered by investigating the ruins of the colony. Evidence that some survivors avoided capture and fled into the wilderness can be learned from either the traumatized survivor or further investigation of the colony, but this should be more difficult to discover.
    If the PCs discover signs that some survivors fled into the wilderness, into a nearby cave, the Andorian survivor should feel comfortable with accompanying them there, if they've managed some decent Social interaction to calm him or earn his trust. If they attempt to travel to the Romulan base, he will absolutely refuse, to the point of hysterical behavior, to leave the ruined colony.
    Conditions: The scene should consist of the PC team conducting more detailed examination/search of the colony ruins, and/or taking advantage of prior Social tests to elicit more information from the survivor.
    Play: Various Social tests versus the survivor; Investigating the ruins for signs of other free survivors (Investigate); Unarmed or Armed Combat with a hysterical Andorian; Gathering intelligence by various means.
    Note: Narrator's should consider that intelligence gathering is always a consideration during this and any other adventure. For example, PCs who take the time to make Science or Observe tests to gather information about Romulan weaponry by examining the ruins, interrogate prisoners, document reconnaissance via video/photography or simply gather enemy gear from the dead, should all earn small Experience bonuses for the PCs.

Plot Turn 2
    PCs track the survivors that fled the colony to a nearby cave and encounter additional survivors. Assuming the PCs are able to determine some survivors were not captured but rather fled into the wilderness, it should then be possible to locate tracks or signs and follow them to the nearby cave. Here they discover two or three more Andorian survivors, although these thankfully aren't quite as irrational as the original survivor. While terrified and certainly wary of any non-Andorians, reasoning with them should be much easier. This scene deals with locating, making contact with and interacting with these additional survivors. PCs may attempt to gather more information about the attack and its aftermath from them as well.
    Conditions: With the caves a mere half-kilometer from the colony ruins, following tracks (or the survivor's guidance) should be relatively easy. The setting for this scene is a short jaunt through the local brush to a small cave, and the interior of the cave itself. Interacting with the survivors is the focus of the scene.
    Play: Tracking survivors to the nearby cave (Observe/Tracking); Social tests against other, less-traumatized Andorian survivors; Possible combat with one or more of the survivors (having easily mistaken the PCs for Romulans, bearing in mind most other species probably look much the same to Andorians)

This adventure ends once the PCs have made contact with the Andorian survivors in the nearby cave (or having completely failed to discover them). It continues in Part II at the same scene, with the PCs having the opportunity to discover evidence that the planet was once colonized by another species (Romulans, in fact).
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-30-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Shuttles assigned to the NV-13 "Valiant"...

MACO Combat Shuttle, "Rhino"
    Hull Data
    Structure: 15
    Size/Decks: 2/1
    Length/Height/Beam: 8/4/5m
    Complement: 8
    Tactical Data
    Phase Cannons: PC-10a (x2/A)
    Penetration: 2/2/2/0/0
    Hull Polarization: HPG Mk 3 (C)
    Protection/Threshold: 11/1
    Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: SBA (.25c) (C)
    Operational Data
    Atmo Capable: Yes
    Cargo Units: 5 (125 cubic meters)
    Life Support: Class 1 (B)
    Operations Systems: Class 1 (B)
    Sensor Systems: Class 1 (+1/0/0/0/0) (B)
    Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: -1C, +2H, +1T
    Traits: Outdated (+2 TN, Command Maneuvers)

MACO Medivac Shuttle, "Dr. Friendly"
    Hull Data
    Structure: 10
    Size/Decks: 2/1
    Length/Height/Beam: 8/4/5m
    Complement: 8
    Tactical Data
    Hull Polarization: HBG Mk 3 (C)
    Protection/Threshold: 11/1
    Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: SBD (.6c) (B)
    Operational Data
    Cargo Units: 5 (125 cubic meters)
    Life Support: Class 2 (C)
    Operations Systems: Class 2 (C)
    Sensor Systems: Class 2 (+2/+1/0/0/0) (C)
    Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: -1C, +3H, +0T
    Traits: Unique System (Onboard medical suite, +5TN to Medicine and First Aid tests)

Utility Shuttle
    Hull Data
    Structure: 5
    Size/Decks: 1/1
    Length/Height/Beam: 6/3/3m
    Complement: 5
    Tactical Data
    Hull Polarization: HPG Mk 1 (AA)
    Protection/Threshold: 10/0
    Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: SBD (.6c) (B)
    Operational Data
    Cargo Units: 11 (275 cubic meters)
    Life Support: Class 1 (B)
    Operations Systems: Class 1 (B)
    Sensor Systems: Class 2 (+2/+1/0/0/0) (C)
    Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifiers: -1C, +3H, +0T

From my players, the intent behind designing these shuttles so is that the "Rhino" be used to drop the away team in potential hostile situations, which will then either be used for extraction or will escort the Medivac if PCs are wounded and require immediate aid. The utility shuttle is to be use for standard transportation, carrying cargo too fragile or too large for the matter transporter and, in a pinch, people. Hence, the Rhino sacrificing modern systems for outdated systems, in favor of a respectable offensive/defensive package; the Medivac sacrificing offensive capability for a medical suite and the smaller Utility shuttle favoring a large cargo area.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-29-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Do you have any pics? or at least an approximation of what these look like ?
    Hodor !

Quote Originally Posted by skree View Post
    Do you have any pics? or at least an approximation of what these look like ?
    No, I'm afraid not, existing entirely on paper as they do (or, rather, computer memory). I would assume the first two shuttles would be identical to Enterprise-era shuttles, with the addition of mounted phasers in one case and probably a red cross or caduceus adorning the other. The utility shuttle would probably just be a bit smaller. Being wartime vessels, and MACO in the first two cases no less, I wouldn't imagine they'd be fancy in any way.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-29-2015 at 03:40 PM.

ST:RW, Episode 4: Far From Home II

Hook
    Here the PCs may learn from the cave survivors that other survivors from the colony were capture by Romulan soldiers and taken away by ground (to the nearby Romulan base). The cave dwelling survivors will not offer this information freely, fearing the PCs may leave them to go recon the base or attempt to free those captives. These survivors prefer to be rescued immediately (assuming the PCs have managed to convince them that's what they're there to do), than for the PCs to leave them to go do anything else.
    Conditions: The cave consists of two primary chambers, the first being immediately inside the entrance, where the two or three cave survivors can be found. These survivors have managed to bring enough food and field rations to sustain them for at least another month and salvaged some general First Aid supplies from the wrecked colony. They may also possess a damaged disruptor pistol, if the Narrator wishes to give the PCs a more powerful and versatile weapon than their GI issue plasma weapons.
    The rear cave chamber is covered in the next section (Plot Turn 1).
    Play: Various Social tests (Influence, Inquire, Interrogate) against the Andorian survivors in the cave and/or the traumatized survivor from the colony (Knowledge: Culture/Andorian may provide affinity bonuses to Social tests); First Aid for any survivors the Narrator determines may require it; Repair a damaged disruptor pistol (Repair/Energy Weapons or Repair/Electronics).

Plot Turn 1
    Once the PCs have concluded all social interactions they wish to conduct with the Andorian survivors, one of the survivors mentions to the PCs that something in the rear chamber may be of interest to them. The PCs can also discover this for themselves at any point by deciding to examine the rear chamber on their own.
    Crude, but colorful, stick figure cave drawings are prevalent along the walls of the rear chamber, made with colored chalk. The most prominent of these features a group of stick figures worshiping before a large bird-like figure. The remaining drawings depict various simple scenes and, most common among the drawings, dozens of individual figures with alien writing directly adjacent.
    *Academic tests can discover that the bird-figure is meant to represent the Romulan eagle, the symbol of the Romulan Star Empire, a symbolic image Romulans typically revere and even worship.
    *The writing adjacent to many individual stick figures can likewise be identified as Romulan writing, and further that they indicate the names of the individuals depicted.
    *Examination of the chalk itself, utilizing hand scanners or other means, can reveal the cave drawings are well over 50 years old.
    *Scans or skilled examination may also reveal that the pigments coloring the chalk are composed of compounds that were clearly manufactured, rather than made from any local botanical or mineral source.
    *PCs with the proper skills may also determine that the entire collection of cave drawings are not the work of primitive historians recording historical or cultural events on the walls of the cave, but rather simply the work of children at play with colored chalk.
    In the end, the evidence available in the rear chamber may establish that Sirius I (Kartha) was colonized or occupied at least 50 years prior by the Romulan Star Empire.
    Conditions: As before, the cave, survivors and various simple gear and supplies they've salvaged from the destroyed colony.
    Play: Recognizing the Romulan eagle (Knowledge: Culture/Romulan); Recognizing Romulan writing and/or interpreting it (Language: Romulan); Recognizing the cave drawings are the work of children at play rather than primitive historians (Knowledge: Culture or Science: Social/Anthropology or Science: Social/Sociology); Analyzing the composition of the colored chalk and/or dating the drawings (Science: Planetary/Mineralogy).
    Note: Depending on the outcome of the PCs examination of the cave drawings, they may well come to all manner of odd and interesting (yet false) conclusions. Let them!

As the PCs busy themselves interacting with the survivors and examining the rear chamber, a Romulan patrol happens upon the same trail the PCs followed to find the cave, made all the more clear by the PCs having followed and tread upon it earlier.
    The PC team has the opportunity to detect the approaching patrol before it finds the cave and discovers them, especially if any of them are utilizing hand scanners or lookouts to watch for approaching hostiles. Assuming the PCs detect the patrol before it discovers them, their options are open on how to handle it. Hiding the cave entrance, obscuring the trail that leads to the cave, leading the patrol away, ambushing the patrol, etc.
    If the PCs do nothing to prevent it, the Romulans find the cave and discover the PCs and survivors. In such a case, they will attempt first to capture them (by demanding surrender on threat of death) and second to kill them if they cannot be captured.
    Depending on the PC team's combat skills and current wound status, the Narrator should stat the patrol so that the PCs can combat them with only moderate risk. They have still to recon the base, risking further encounters, and relocate the survivors to the extraction point, where an automatic encounter with a Romulan patrol occurs.
    Conditions: The two-chambered cave and immediate surroundings (short brush, no tree cover), cave survivors, the traumatized survivor, survivor's salvaged gear and supplies and the trail leading to the cave from the colony.
    Play: Detecting approaching Romulan patrol (Observe/Spot, possible bonus from hand scanners); Hiding the cave entrance (Conceal/Camoflage); Leading the Romulan patrol away by voice mimicry or use of captured Romulan comm gear to mislead the patrol (Impersonate/Mimicry); Negotiating with the Romulans (Negotiate, Persuade or other social); avoiding the patrol on foot (Stealth); obscuring or redirecting the trail leading to the cave (Survival/Tracking); setting up an ambush for the Romulan patrol (Tactics/Ground).

Pinch 1
    At some point the PCs must address their primary objective, conducting reconnaissance of the Romulan ground base. If they made note of its location from orbit or on the way in via shuttle, they should be aware of the direction and distance to the base. Otherwise, if they are not aware, they must gain this information from the survivors or captured Romulans, none of whom will be very willing to share it. The survivors much prefer to be evacuated immediately and will oppose any decision to do otherwise.
    Once the requisite social tests with the survivors are dealt with, and the PCs still intend to achieve their primary objective, they must avoid Romulan patrols on the hike to the base and observe the base without being spotted in turn. Simple tests to move stealthily or discover a covered approach are all that is necessary to avoid a patrol, but the Narrator is free to call for Opposed Stealth/Observe tests (or similar) if they feel a close call (or outright combat) is called for.
    Conditions: The distance to the Romulan ground base is a two hour walk from the cave (Standard fatigue rate) or one hour by double-time hike (Demanding). The area surrounding the base is lightly patrolled, but if the Romulans at the base are aware that armed Starfleet officers are in the area, patrols may well have been stepped up (the frequency and odds of encounter are left to the Narrator). Observing the base is handled in the next scene.
    Play: Avoiding patrols on the hike to the base (Observation and/or Stealth, opposed tests); Finding or constructing a covered spotter position from which to observe the Romulan base (Conceal/Camouflage or Survival).

Midpoint
    Reconning the ground base itself without being spotted should prove somewhat difficult (perhaps TN 15 or 20), with possible bonuses for finding and utilizing terrain and natural cover, or constructing a blind from which to observe. A successful reconnaisance of the Romulan ground base should determine enemy strength, disposition and weaponry/gear/vehicles. The more information the PCs are able to gather the better.
    While conducting reconnaissance the PCs should observe roughly a dozen or so Andorian captives being moved from a containment building to a waiting Romulan shuttle nearby, which immediately departs for orbit. Recording numbers and general disposition of the captives should score a small experience reward, as this information is important to both Starfleet, the Andorian government and the Imperial Guard.
    Conditions: The perimeter and surroundings areas of the Romulan base are waist-high shrubs and scattered, light patches of low forest. Finding a concealable spot to observe the base or otherwise avoiding detection by spotters stationed on the base periphery should be difficult. However, once settled in and observing the base without initially being spotted (on approach or while setting up an observation spot) it should be easier to avoid being detected.
    Play: Avoiding detection by observers at the perimeter of the base (Stealth or Conceal, opposed tests); Reconning the base and gathering intel (Tactics, Investigate, Observe).

Pinch 2
    Once the PCs feel they have enough information on the base to have achieved their primary objective, returning to gather the survivors and relocating them to the extraction point will again require avoiding Romulan patrols, now made more difficult by the survivors, who are likely wounded, fatigued and/or not skilled in stealth. The Narrator should perform opposed tests to avoid detection by patrols, penalized by the presence of the survivors. Where exactly the extraction point is (specifically how far away and how many opposed tests to avoid detection by patrols) is up to the Narrator, if the PCs weren't particular about establishing this themselves. Bear in mind the shuttle will have to contend with Romulan anti-air defenses again when departing the planet, so its combat range from the base is a factor.
    Conditions: Movement through light cover of shrubs and low trees on the way back to the cave and from the cave to the extraction point with survivors in tow.
    Play: Avoiding detection by Romulan patrols (Stealth, opposed tests, penalized by survivors); Land navigation from the cave to the extraction point (Survival or Space: Planetary, with hand scanner); Possible social tests against survivors.

Plot Turn 2
    Regardless of any encounters or near misses with patrols so far, loading survivors onto the shuttle and escaping the planet automatically draws the attention of a nearby Romulan patrol. The PCs must suffer weapons fire while loading the survivors and getting aboard themselves. The Romulan patrol appears within long range of their weapons, before the first survivor climbs aboard, and opens fire on the PCs immediately. The Narrator should determine surprise and initiative normally, with surprise depending on whether or not PCs detect the presence of the patrol before they open fire.
    Each survivor requires one full round to board the shuttle and make way for the next person to board, followed by the PCs themselves each taking a full round action to board.
    Avoiding Romulan anti-air defense on leaving the planet should be handled in the same way the original approach was handled (See Act II of the prior adventure), with the shuttle now required to reach Extended range to make its escape.
    *Note: If your players have created armed shuttles for their ship, as mine have, there's absolutely nothing wrong with allowing the shuttle to open fire and automatically obliterate the attacking Romulan patrol the very next round after they fire. Such forethought and preparation should be rewarded.

The two part adventure ends with the PCs returning to their starship with the Andorian survivors and intel on the Romulan ground base. They may also be able to report the number and condition of the Andorian captives at the base, and that they were shuttled off-planet. They may also have evidence that Romans once colonized or occupied the planet at some time in the past.

* Suggested Romulan ground force stats.
    Ranged Energy Weapons skill: 12, Other combat skills: 10, Other relevant skills: 8
    Disruptor Pistol (Setting: 1-Light Stun, 2-Medium Stun, 5-Medium Thermal; Range: 5/20/50/100+20m), Disruptor Rifle (Setting: 1-Light Stun, 2-Medium Stun, 5-Medium Thermal, Light Disrupt A; Range: 5/40/80/106+40m), Rations, First Aid kit, Filter canteen, Romulan full-body combat uniform, encrypted communicator.
    * For a less deadly Romulan soldier, the Narrator should consider arming ground forces with Laser Pistols and Laser Rifles (PG, p. 181), representing Romulan ground-pounders being issued outdated gear. Bear in mind also that laser weapons have no stun settings.

*Important Note: Though the WE-6 Warp Propulsion system becomes available between this adventure and the next (Year 2157), the Narrator should not allow players to upgrade this system on their ship, as it occurs automatically during adventure Episode 5, Mutiny.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 11-01-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Huckleberry, with your permission I formatted your shuttles as well as corrected a few errors. Enjoy

CODA (22nd Century) MACO Shuttlecraft.pdf
    Last edited by skree; 10-29-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Hodor !

Quote Originally Posted by skree View Post
    Huckleberry, with your permission I formatted your shuttles as well as corrected a few errors. Enjoy

CODA (22nd Century) MACO Shuttlecraft.pdf
    And it's not even my birthday!

These are lovely. My players are gonna freak when I hand this over to them! You, sir or madam, are now awesome.

ST:RW, Episode 5: The Bone Ring

[This adventure assumes the PCs have taken command of their ship or at least have a command officer character with the Command 1 edge, justifying their holding the Executive Officer position (second in command). In that case, the Narrator need only declare the captain of the vessel is off receiving a critical intelligence briefing at Starbase One or aboard the Fleet Admiral's flagship, leaving the XO in command when the time sensitive mission is handed down.
    Narrators should note that this adventure is crucial to the campaign. Here the PCs are directly involved with discovering a very limited mineral resource which Starfleet later uses (in the last episode of the campaign) to construct a powerful secret weapon which essentially wins the Earth-Romulan war. Further, the PCs will get to use one of these weapons in the Battle of Cheron, the key component of which they themselves discovered here in this episode.
    Also: Fans of Space: Above and Beyond who might be following along, noting which episode this or that adventure is based on and recognizing similarities here and there...this adventure won't fit anywhere. It takes the place of S:ABB, ep. 3, "Dark Side of the Sun", which I found difficult to translate to an Enterprise-era adventure. Hence, my placing this critical adventure comfortably here, in its place.
    Also 2: "The Bone Ring" refers to the debris ring around the dwarf planet. The "bones" of those ships destroyed by the Juggernaut over the centuries.]

The Valiant is ordered to the Beta Virginis system to investigate the possible disappearance of the UESPA survey vessel, "Coral Sea". Communication was lost with the vessel soon after it arrived in the Beta Virginis system; its mission, to survey a newly discovered dwarf planet previously undetected by unmanned UESPA probes.
    As the Valiant is relatively nearby, conducting scouting patrols and supporting Andorian Imperial Guard operations between Sirius and Alpha Centauri, she is the obvious choice for the mission.
    The Valiant's primary objective is to scout for possible Romulan presence in the Beta Virginis system. Secondary objective, determine the fate of the Coral Sea and respond appropriately.

Hook
    Arriving in Beta Virginis, the PCs find a relatively crowded system with two dense asteroid belts and a dozen Jovian planets, each with multiple moons and large ring systems. Though these things pose no threat to routine inner system navigation, its immediately obvious how half a dozen UESPA probes over the last few decades have missed the small dwarf planet in such busy and cluttered system.

Scans and visual examination of the dwarf planet and its immediate area reveal:
    *The dwarf itself is roughly the size of Earth's moon (approximately 10,000 km in circumference), but with a remarkable density, granting it a thin atmosphere and gravity of 0.5g (EVA suits will be required). Scans of the planet surface reveal a small, rectangular structure with signs (if examined carefully) that it is quite ancient, possibly centuries old.
    *A Vulcan shuttle and two individual escape pods are crashed nearby the structure. Neither of the escape pods are of Vulcan design and each are of differing manufacture from the other. Attempts to identify their species of origin will fail and scans reveal they've both been there for hundreds of years. The Vulcan shuttle has crashed only recently.
    *The dwarf planet also seems at first glance to possess a small ring system like its various larger sisters. Closer examination reveals, however, that the ring system is actually a debris ring, composed of hundreds of probes, shuttles and starships destroyed in close proximity to the small planet.
    *Scanning the debris ring reveals the remains of the Coral Sea, as might be expected, with tale-tell signs of having been destroyed by energy weapons fire leaving identical burn patterns to every other wreck in the ring.
    *A large object is moving in rapid orbit around the planet, well inside the debris ring. This object is a massive unmanned, automated vessel of some kind. No life signs can be detected aboard, attempts to communicate with it are ignored and the vessel seems focused entirely on maintaining its remarkably rapid orbit of the dwarf planet (see below for details on the Juggernaut).

Conditions: Two dense asteroid belts, a dozen Jovian planets with multiple moons and dense ring systems, the dwarf planet and associated objects..
    Play: Detecting the dwarf planet and the objects around it (System Operations: Sensors); Determining the properties of the various objects, such as gravity and atmosphere of the dwarf (Science: Space/Astrophysics); Deducing the danger the Juggernaut poses from collected sensor data (Investigate: Deduce); Detecting remains of the Coral Sea in the debris ring, the shuttle and escape pods on the surface, the presence of the Juggernaut in orbit, or the consistency of the weapons fire scoring on the wrecked vessels in the debris ring (System Operations: Sensors)
    Note: Even the most casual examination of the dwarf planet and the varied objects around it should be enough to suggest to the players that the large automated vessel in orbit around the planet is dangerous and likely responsible for all the destruction. And they are of course exactly right in assuming so.

Plot Turn 1
    After giving the players enough time to make a few scans and get a decent understanding of what's going on around the dwarf planet, the communications officer has the opportunity to detect an automated distress call, on Vulcan frequencies. The distress call is low on details, but attempts to hail the planet or make contact with any survivors in the area are met with immediate success. Three Vulcan scientists are currently trapped on the surface of the planet and in need of rescue, having escaped the destruction of their survey ship via shuttle nearly a month ago.
    The communications officer also has the opportunity to detect a second distress call on a narrower band. This one is Romulan and, if the PCs are able to translate Romulan, it warns not to approach the boundary of the debris field or risk being fired upon by the orbiting vessel. It also indicates a valuable find on the planet's surface, within the ancient structure, that is to be recovered for the Empire.
    The Vulcan distress call originates from the Vulcan shuttle on the surface. The Romulan distress call, from one of the two crashed escape pods. Both signals are strong, though the Romulan signal should be +5TN more difficult to detect.
    Conditions: As before.
    Play: Detecting the Vulcan distress call and (more difficult) the Romulan one (System Operations: Communications); Locating the source of the individual distress beacons (System Operations: Sensors); Decoding or translating the Romulan distress beacon message (Language: Romulan or System Operations: Communications (if the shipboard translators have the Romulan language)); Various Social tests over the comm with Vulcan scientists on the surface.

Getting to the surface of the planet to rescue the Vulcan scientists and explore the ancient structure brings the PCs into immediate conflict with the Juggernaut. This unmanned vessel is essentially a large sentry drone, set to guard the planet and the automated mining facility on its surface centuries ago. While the mining facility has long since collected and processed the last of the mineral on the planet, whatever ancient people set the entire process in motion never returned to shut down the drone or even collect the finished material in the facility. The main cargo area of the facility still contains several hundred laser rods fashioned from the unique crystal, still waiting to be recovered after many centuries.
    The Juggernaut nevertheless still guards the planet faithfully and, worse, utilizes these same rare crystal laser rods in its cannons. This, in addition to the fact that it's just plain tougher than the player's ship in most ways, make it a very dangerous opponent to tackle head on. Further, its rapid patrolling orbit around the dwarf planet prevents approach by shuttle without the shuttle being attacked and destroyed well before it can reach the surface. Using matter transporters is also impossible without approaching well inside the debris ring and coming under fire (40,000km maximum of teleporters; Medium range of the Juggernaut).
    Thankfully, the Juggernaut isn't very intelligent or adaptable, and can easily be overcome if the PCs approach the situation thoughtfully (see Juggernaut details, below).
    Conditions: As before.
    Play: Determining various combat ranges of objects, such as the debris ring boundary, the Juggernaut, maximum matter transporter range, shuttle flight time to surface, etc; in order to formalize a strategy for reaching the planet surface (System Operations: Sensors and Science: Space/Astrogation); Gleaning useful information from the Vulcan scientists on the planet (Inquire and various other Social tests); Determining specific information about the Juggernaut (Analyzing Ship Status; NG, p. 102)

Pinch 1
    Having detected the distress call(s) and been confronted with the Juggernaut, the PCs must now overcome the obstacle the massive sentry drone represents. It should be noted that the debris ring boundary is 50,000km from the dwarf planet and the Juggernaut's orbit, which is Medium range for space combat. Any target outside the boundary will be at Long range or more.

Some options for getting past the Juggernaut are:
    1) Engaging the vessel in deadly combat until one or the other is destroyed.
    2) Engage the vessel from the opposite side of ancient structure, keeping it occupied while a shuttle approaches and lands at the facility, then disengage and move to cover of another planet or out of range.
    3) Breach the boundary to within 40,000km of the planet, suffer the Juggernaut's attacks, and utilize matter transporters to beam the away team to the surface (which, in my opinion, in this era, should be very, very risky).
    4) Jam the Juggernaut's sensors (NG, p. 107), rendering it blind for a short time and landing a shuttle quickly, before it can recalibrate.
    4) Slingshot around a nearby Jovian at unnatural speed, at a point when the Juggernaut is on the far side of the planet. And probably crash and burn if your shuttle pilot isn't absolutely amazing at their job.

Conditions: As before
    Play: Space combat with the Juggernaut; Plotting a shuttle approach course, either direct or using planetary slingshot (Science: Space/Astrogation); Using matter transporter to reach the surface (System Operations: Transporters); Jamming the Juggernaut's sensors (NG, p. 107); Hiding in the debris field (Run Silent, NG p. 103 and/or Tactics: Space).

Midpoint
    However the PCs get to the surface, once there they are safe from the Juggernaut as it does not fire on ground targets. The Vulcan scientists stranded on the surface confirm this, having come under no attack from orbit since crashing there.
    The Vulcan scientists pose an entirely different problem however. These Vulcans are Romulan sympathizers and high-ranking members of the Vulcan Reunification Front, a recently formed terrorist organization seeking the forced reunification of the Vulcan and Romulan people, primarily through capitulation with the demands of the Romulan Star Empire. Though only the inner party of the VRF (such as the three survivors on the dwarf planet) are aware of the common Vulcan/Romulan ancestry and seek its reunification, its public efforts instead preach Vulcan arrogance and aggressive Human expansion as responsible for the rightful provocation of the Romulan empire. The VRF is known to conduct terrorist actions to pressure Vulcan and Human government to concede the war (and territory) to the Romulans. Nevertheless the secret goal of the inner circle is total reunification of Vulcan and the Romulan people, with the Romulan Star Empire in ascendance.
    These three Vulcan scientists became stranded on the dwarf planet in a manner one might expect. Intending to explore the surface, especially the ancient mining facility, they underestimated the orbiting drone and their survey vessel was destroyed. While they managed to crash land on the surface, their shuttle is beyond repair and they are stranded.
    The Vulcan scientists are here following an old Andorian legend of an explorer who discovered the planet, managed to reach the surface and came away with one of the laser rods from the facility. When the VRF recovered the rod and discovered its unique properties, the organization pooled their resources to go to Beta Virginis and salvage the rods for the Romulan Empire. Once trapped on the planet the best they could do was plant an automated Romulan distress beacon in one of the old probes nearby and hope the Empire discovered and recovered the rods themselves.
    The presence of the PCs gives them the opportunity to escape the dwarf planet, but as fanatical ranking members of the VRF their main goal is to keep the laser rods out of the hands of Starfleet, even if that means sabotaging their only hope of rescue. To that end the Vulcans scientists will, in a very logical manner, lie, cheat and steal to keep the PCs from discovering the rods or linking the Romulan distress beacon to them. In the end, if necessary, they will draw hidden phasers and attempt to kill the PCs by surprise (and don't forget the Vulcan nerve pinch).
    Conditions: Dwarf planet with low gravity and thin atmosphere (requiring EVA suits and associated penalties), ancient mining facility with possible associated hazards, two very old escape pods of unknown species, Vulcan shuttle.
    Play: Various Social tests with Vulcan scientists; possible combat with Vulcan terrorists in hazardous environment; Deducing that the Romulan beacon is not ancient and apparently planted by the Vulcans (Investigate/Deduce); Knowledge of the means and motives of the VRF (Knowledge: Culture/Vulcan or Politics/Vulcan); Noting odd behavior by Vulcan scientists (Observe)

(continued)
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 10-31-2015 at 01:15 PM.