Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Martian

The Martian

Went to see this pic on Friday and was blown away. I had read Andy Weir's debut novel and was hoping the movie would be a good adaptation. It was, although it streamlined and glossed over some of the novel's details. They'd have to, as the novel goes into enough detail that it'd need to be a ten-hour miniseries to include everything. This is one of the hardest-SF novels to come out in a long time. The movie is everything Gravity and Interstellar should have been. The idea is pretty much a riff on Robinson Crusoe meats Apollo 13. I'm not the world's biggest Matt Damon fan, but he hit every note bang on. Sean Bean's character plays a pivotal role in the movie and doesn't die, although his career takes a serious hit (to go any further into detail woul involve serious spoilers). Chewitel Ejiofor is a standout as Vincent (Venkat in the book) Kapoor. The altered the character ever-so-slightly to make him more palatable for American audiences, changing him from a Hindu from India to a half-Indian American whose father was Hindu and whose mother was Baptist. Jeff Daniels is great as a NASA official as is Jessica Chastain as Commander Lewis, the leader of the Mars mission, Ares III. There is not a dud in the entire cast. Both the novel and book portray a very impressive show of international cooperation in space exploration while keeping the politics somewhat beleivable. NASA comes off very well in the story.

If you're going to see this movie, see it on the big screen and in 3D. It comes out next month on Blu-Ray and DVD.

I do not know what the hell is going on with the Golden Globes. What a joke! They've got The Martian nominated for Best Picture and Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. These people obviously put their collective heads between their buttocks and sat down hard. The movie may have a few jokes for effect, but it is a Drama with a capital D.

DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

A horrendously bone-headed one...

Man, do they still televise these awards? You'd think they'd just tweet them now and save everybody lots of money.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I really enjoyed the movie, well paced and with a very authentic feel, though I really don't like Matt Damon at all as an actor (as he is anti-gun, he and I are polar opposite of the political spectrum...LoL)
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I don't choose actors based on their politics, but on their acting skills. I still like Tom Cruise as an actor even though he's a willin tool of a religious scam.

I afraid I do, particularly hypocrite actors (like Matt who make a lot of 'gun films' and yet are hoplophobic and anti-gun in real life). These actors make millions from these films, which allows them to live in Gated Communities with armed body guards, and then they have the audacity to question a citizens right to keep and bear arms....
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-10-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

AKA-Dean

How does he stand on private ownership of tactical nuclear weapons?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

TTK ask a sensible question and I will answer it sensibly.....or do you want a smart ass answer?????
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-11-2016 at 02:38 AM.
    AKA-Dean

So he hasn't expressed an opinion?

TTK so you want a smart ass answer?????
    AKA-Dean

Matt Damon

"From using a Remington 1875 in Geronimo: An American Legend in 1993, to the Berretta he used in the Bourne Identity movies, Matt Damon is no rookie when it comes to using guns. Matt has been observed using multiple firearms in dozens of films; yet still has an issue when it comes to the use of them for law-abiding citizens. He made mention in an interview with BET regarding his opinions about the conceal-carry laws, and that we should just “leave it up to law enforcement.” In a separate interview in 2003, Matt reportedly said, ““I actually hate guns. They freak me out. If you were ever in a situation in which you wished you had a gun, that means you’re in a situation where you wanted to kill somebody and I’ve never been in that situation.” -

Matt is a hypocrite, are you arguing other wise????? BTW only a fool would do so.....as he is on record as an anti-gun hypocrite.....
    AKA-Dean

This is horribly out of topic, but I don't think that the fact that an actor plays roles where he uses weapons should prevent him from taking an anti-gun stance. The job of being an actor means actually that you need to become somebody else, and it's actually more interesting when it's someone you would not agree with.

Back on topic, I sadly missed the Martian when it was out in theatres. I happened to watch the trailer went I went to see some blockbuster or other, and I found it interesting enough to decide go watching it, but stuff happened and I could not. I may try to rent a CD or catch it when it's aired on TV.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett