Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Martian

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    This You Tube posting is worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxQ3hYHrZk If you're watching the movie without reading the book, you're missing lots of the story.
    Sounds like they got it quite close for being a movie. After all, there is a reason I tend to use the term "Hollywood realism" when I'm talking about "realistic" stuff for role playing games

I guess I should put the book to my reading list.

Finally got to see this film. Loved it, I will probably end up buying the DVD and reading the original book.

I can't quite judge how accurate the science was since it's far from my field of expertise, but one thing I'm sure of is that you don't need to directly connect your laptop to a supercomputer to run a computation on it (I'm not even sure that's possible anyway). That was the one thing actually in my field of expertise
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Several space companies promise us landing people on Mars within 10-15 years. But the statistics of unmanned flights are depressing. More than 50% of missions were unsuccessful at one stage or another. At the moment, people have only reached the level of confident launches of satellites at different levels of orbit. And yes, periodically missions to the moon. But it seems to me that now projects like Skyrora are more promising.