Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else here interested in guns, bushcratf, survival and SHTF preparedness?

I liked The Fog better.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

so you are not into guns, bushcraft, survival and SHTF preparedness, camping and paracord weaving TTK???? If you aren't then why are you posting in this thread?
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    there have been numerous extinction level events through out history on Earth, every time life has begun again...would you not try???
    I wouldn't be in a position to. I live in a large urban area in North America, one with international flights depositing people here hourly. If a worldwide contagion starts anywhere, it's coming here. If a nuclear war starts, it's getting hit. A disruption in food infrastructure means I'm sitting in the middle of millions of people who are hungrier than I am and who can drive. Unless you want to get outlandish in your scenarios (survivable asteroid strike, zombie apocalypse) I'm not going to delude myself about surviving longer than civilisation itself.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

then lie down and die if that is your choice, I for one will always fight to survive, I view your sort of attitude as anathema, and is why most would perish. Look at it this way, how does preparing for say the zombie apocalypse hurt your current situation? It doesn't change anything other then your level of preparedness. I bet all those in tornado alley have some sort of preps in place.....if they don't they are fools...
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

so you are not into guns, bushcraft, survival and SHTF preparedness, camping and paracord weaving TTK???? If you aren't then why are you posting in this thread?
    Do you prefer canoes or kayaks?

AKA-Dean

then lie down and die if that is your choice, I for one will always fight to survive, I view your sort of attitude as anathema, and is why most would perish. Look at it this way, how does preparing for say the zombie apocalypse hurt your current situation? It doesn't change anything other then your level of preparedness. I bet all those in tornado alley have some sort of preps in place.....if they don't they are fools...
    So what are you doing to make your farm global warming resistant? Do you have firebreaks in place?

to get this thread back on track, here is my latest knife I won on Urban Bunker, Condor Moon-stalker

AKA-Dean

basic kit mentality, the 5c's by Dave Canterbury

AKA-Dean

the 10c's

there is part 2 and 3 as well
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-22-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    AKA-Dean

survival knife thought's

My thought's on "survival knives". The knife is one of mans earliest and most useful tools. Besides fire use (which was early mans most significant evolutionary step) tool use is whats separates us from all other animals (while other animals do use various tools, none have evolved to rival mans ability to utilize tools). Every person should be proficient in the use of a knife, and know how to safely use and maintain a knife. Survival knives usually share many similar features, they should be robust, durable and made from quality materials. I would suggest it have a full tang and a comfortable handle. Blade material is a bit controversial, some 'experts' suggest stainless steel, others high carbon, I have both, and suggest looking into it further and go with what you find you prefer.

The best survival knife is the one you have on you when an emergency happens. This is the basic survivalist mentality. With that being said I am a 'tool heavy' sort of person, and advocate one carry's multiple knives if they ever venture in to the bush. (and if at all possible I would suggest one even carry's at least one pocket knife on then everywhere [where legal], for instance I EDC a Leatherman Wingman multi-tool and a Ontario RAT II pocket knife everywhere, even at home, the only time I take these tools off is when sleeping or when I take my pants off). I will not suggest specific brands, but will say one should aim to carry a medium sized fix blade (4-6" blade) as well as your EDC multi-tool and pocket knife. There is also the argument to add a large sized fixed blade (9-12" blade)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-22-2016 at 08:40 PM.
    AKA-Dean

for anyone interested in doing an online bushcraft coarse here is a link to one I wrote (you will have to sign up to the Bunker)

http://www.urbanconquest.com.au/foru...forum.php?f=85
    AKA-Dean

5 tool rule

AKA-Dean

and my favorite large knife TOPS Power Eagle (with camoformed handle and paracord D guard)

and her sheath with full kit(I have added a collapsible water container 500ml and a mylar survival blanket that isn't shown in the pics of the contents of the sheath)

my EDC
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-24-2016 at 08:08 PM.
    AKA-Dean

<admin hat on>
    A bit late, but a few notes...

Waveman, referring to people as sheeple might not be the best way to change peoples perception of "survivalism".

The Tatterdemalion King, your posts in this thread could have been handled a lot better as well, which I'm well aware you're capable of.

I want this site to be welcoming to a lot more people than those sharing my political and religious views (which happens to be left wing and atheist, if anyone cares). Maybe I'm alone it it, but my primary interest in roleplaying in general , and Star Trek in particular, is to understand other mindsets. I also think there are to much polarization into "us vs. the stupid them" in the world.

A thread like this should spark ideas of what the player characters might have to endure (a shuttle crashed on a planet, or general outdoorsmanship in Middle Earth, perhaps?), not jumping to conclusions about someones political views.
    <admin hat off>

On the thread itself, not everything has to be global or SHTF level.

In mars, 2001, the power went out for about 50,000 people in Stockholm for a few days. We still had water; but no lights, stove, fridge, or freezer. It was around freezing outdoor, and after two days of blackout, we still didn't knew how long it would take before we got the electricity back. Buildings in Sweden tend to be quite well insulated, so even if the heat are out, it will take several hours for them to get cold even when it is really cold outside.

Even without that blackout been lot longer, with both water and heat being out; how many can still make sure they can eat a hot meal? If it get worse, make sure they have water to drink and to stay warm.

When it comes to actual SHTF situations, I find this to be an example of real life SHTF survival situation in modern times (30 months of survival situation).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bi...ers_%28book%29
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303
    Any discussion of how it may, or may not, be relevant for us is a discussion more suitable for the Lounge. But, a survival situation don't have to be that extreme to be life-threatening, and while it is handy to know how to survive if lost in a forest, the same skills tend to decrease the risk of getting lost in the first place.