Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else here interested in guns, bushcratf, survival and SHTF preparedness?

Also... Assuming a massive event that killed off 90% of the population... What would really be the point of surviving? The near Extinction of a species, fighting for dwindling resources that you each have stockpiled, the (assumed) gender dis-balance. The remnants of civilization breaking down around yo; from the diseases caused by the rotting bodies of 90% of the population through to the eventual radioactive pollution from all the nuclear power stations that were not closed down properly...

What would be the point in surviving?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I honestly don't believe it is humanities legacy to go quietly into the darkness, there will always be those of us that will strive to survive despite the odds and the circumstance. The point would be to try to rebuild and reestablish our society. What happens when a cyclone smashes a city? (I understand that scenario is orders of magnitude smaller then a TEOTWAWKI but the principles are the same to me). Humanity tends to be adaptable, we have adapted to every environment that the planet has to offer and I believe a post apocalyptic environment would be no different. Yes there will be those that loose hope and die but there will also be those that will strive to survive despite the obstacles.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

In related news, this is the last day you can watch The Curse of Fenric on US Netflix.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

a very good article on the survivalist mindset

http://www.resilience.org/stories/20...rvival-mindset

also some common acronyms and their meaning I have been using. (as per wiki)
    Alpha strategy: The practice of storing extra consumable items, as a hedge against inflation, and for use in barter and charity. Coined by John Pugsley.
    Ballistic wampum: Ammunition stored for barter purposes. Coined by Jeff Cooper.
    BOB: Bug-out bag.
    BOL: Bug-out location.
    BOV: Bug-out vehicle.
    Crunch: A general term for a major, long-term disaster.
    Doomer: A peak oil adherent who believes in a Malthusian-scale social collapse.
    EDC: Everyday carry. What one carries at all times in case disaster strikes while one is out and about. Also refers to the normal carrying of a pistol for self-defense, or (as a noun) the pistol which is carried.
    EOTW: End of the world
    Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) – an extreme level of electromagnetic energy sufficient to burn out computer chips that may be caused by solar flares or by atmospheric nuclear explosions. Such an event would disable the Internet, telephones, computers, and devices that rely on computer controls, including automobiles, the electrical grid, and household appliances.
    Goblin: A criminal miscreant, coined (in the survivalist context) by Jeff Cooper.
    Golden horde: The anticipated large mixed horde of refugees and looters that will pour out of the metropolitan regions WTSHTF. Coined (in the survivalist context) by James Wesley Rawles.
    G.O.O.D.: Get out of Dodge (city). Fleeing urban areas in the event of a disaster. Coined by James Wesley Rawles.
    G.O.O.D. kit: Get out of Dodge kit. Synonymous with bug-out bag (BOB).
    I.N.C.H. Bag: I'm Not Coming Home Bag. Similar to bug-out bag but usually kept to with the individual so as not to have to return to one's residence to get a bug-out bag.
    Pollyanna or Polly: Someone who is in denial about the disruption that might be caused by the advent of a large scale disaster.
    Prepper: A synonym for survivalist that came into common usage during the late 1990s. Used interchangeably with survivalist much as retreater was in the 1970s. Refers to one who is prepared or making preparations.
    SHTF: Shit hits the fan. A term used generically by survivalists to describe disaster situations.
    TEOTWAWKI: The end of the world as we know it. In use since the early 1980s. The term was coined by Mike Medintz in 1996, in the Usenet newsgroup misc.survivalism.
    WTSHTF: When the shit hits the fan. A term used generically by survivalists to describe disaster situations.
    WROL: Without rule of law. Describes a potential lawless state of society.
    YOYO: You're on your own. Coined (in the survivalist context) by David Weed.
    Zombie: Unprepared, incidental survivors of a prepped-for disaster, "who feed on... the preparations of others”
    Zombie apocalypse: Used by some preppers as a tongue-in-cheek metaphor for any natural or man-made disaster and "a clever way of drawing people’s attention to disaster preparedness". The premise of the Zombie Squad is that "if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything." Though "there are some... who are seriously preparing for a zombie attack".
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

This blog is a good article on Greyman principles, a principle that all survivalists should strive to achieve.

http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot...-grey-man.html
    AKA-Dean

Takes all the fun out of the apocalypse.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Takes all the fun out of the apocalypse.
    How so?
    AKA-Dean

What's the point of everyone else dying from ocular haemorrhaging or necrotizing from fallout if you can't dress yourself up like Lord Humongous and shout at people through an amp on the hood of your car?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    What's the point of everyone else dying from ocular haemorrhaging or necrotizing from fallout if you can't dress yourself up like Lord Humongous and shout at people through an amp on the hood of your car?
    the point of greyman principles is to blend in and not stand out or draw attention to yourself. These principles can also be applied to everyday life, to reduce the chances of being victimized.

I also find your focus on a nuclear scenario a little out of date, most nuclear attacks these days would be air burst (high in the atmosphere to EMP large amounts of landscape) to produce an EMP rather then ground burst (too destructive and as you point out bad because of radiation poisoning the landscape for generations after the event), and with the most likely scenarios being pandemic or global financial collapse (leading to global unrest and eventual world war).

I would also suggest you read this link, shows the effects of a nuclear detonation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect...ear_explosions

I found this part at the bottom of the link interesting (note the bold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Survivability
    This is highly dependent on factors such as if one is indoors or out, the size of the explosion, the proximity to the explosion, and to a lesser degree the direction of the wind carrying fallout. Death is highly likely and radiation poisoning is almost certain if one is caught in the open with no terrain or building masking effects within a radius of 0–3 km from a 1 megaton airburst, and the 50% chance of death from the blast extends out to ~8 km from the same 1 megaton atmospheric explosion.
    However to highlight the variability in the real world, and the effect that being indoors can make, despite the lethal radiation and blast zone extending well past her position at Hiroshima, Akiko Takakura survived the effects of a 16 kt atomic bomb at a distance of just 300 meters from the hypocenter, with only minor injuries, due mainly to her position in the lobby of the Bank of Japan, a reinforced concrete building, at the time. In contrast, the unknown person sitting outside, fully exposed, on the steps of the Sumitomo Bank, next door to the Bank of Japan, received lethal third degree burns and was then likely killed by the blast, in that order, within two seconds.
    and from the link one would receive a lethal dose of gamma radiation from a 20 megaton detonation/5.4km altitude at 4.7km (obviously dependent on situation), I think you overestimate the effects of nukes, a nuclear detonation can be survived (as shown by Akiko Takakura) if you are prepared.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 02-03-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    AKA-Dean

free download PDF's on survivalism for anyone interested

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/su...pdf-downloads/

and more (196)
    http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/2471
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    the point of greyman principles is to blend in and not stand out or draw attention to yourself. These principles can also be applied to everyday life, to reduce the chances of being victimized.
    But if you don't get victimized you don't get to go all Death Wish on everyone.

you again seem hell bent on trying to provoke a negative response from me, or are you trying to imply that all survivalists are vigilante extremist???? I won't deny that there is a small element of extremism in survivalism, but all the survivalist I know would not identify with extremism or could be called extremists, they are normal people, possibly living next door....
    AKA-Dean

I wouldn't describe the Death Wish movies as extremist within the cultural context they emerge from.

I suppose the difference is I take the OP seriously where as you appear to think it is a joke.

Do you have anything sensible to add?
    AKA-Dean

Taking it as a joke is the sensible thing to do.