Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else here interested in guns, bushcratf, survival and SHTF preparedness?

anyone else here interested in guns, bushcratf, survival and SHTF preparedness?

Ok as you all are probably cottoning on to is I'm a what is usually referred to as a redneck, while most use this term as a derogatory (with appellations like gun nut etc) I embrace it and am not insulted by being labeled as such in anyway. I am not trying to invoke a political thread (and am NOT encouraging the discussion of gun politics etc in this thread) but rather trying to see if there are like minded individuals here, and who would like to talk about the listed subjects?

Like I have posted else where, I grew up shooting, going hunting with my father from a very early age, and bought my first center-fire rifle at 16. I am raising two sons in exactly the same way. I own many guns legally and go hunting regularly (though not as often as I would like now that I am a father, as life seems to get in the way....LoL), and I try to hone my bushcrafting skills when ever I can by utilizing 'dirt time' (practicing BC skills in a natural setting). I am also what I like to refer to as an armchair survivalist, I have many 'preps' in place, and try to gain surivial skills but I am not formally trained.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-18-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

In my own opinion, I'm not. I don't own a gun (but I know how to handle them), I'm rarely outdoors (except walking to and from work, despite time of year or weather), I'm not a survivalist prepper (don't mind the oil lamps, tent, backpack, and other things lying around in my storage). The machete is just for...

I don't think my age had two digits when I learned how to build a wind shelter in a forest, with just having an axe and a knife; using a map and a compass; fishing; shooting (both rifles and handguns). It actually took me a few years to get that wasn't everyman knowledge.

So, some of my coworkers might have another opinion about me

I usually get my fix for those debates over at a Twilight 2000 forum, and it is because of that site I have learned that you shouldn't make soap in an aluminum vessel (and that it apparently is something the US army survival guide miss to mention). Been a long time since I last visited there...

One of the many roleplaying campaigns I want run, or play in, is Twilight 2000 (or other SHTF setting), where quite a bit of the focus is on survival realism, so it actually would work as learning/teaching the theory and skill sharing. It is also one of the many games I don't think I will find players to, at least not compatible with me.

I am more of a Aftermath RPG person myself, which was a gritty SHTF post apocalyptic RPG that solely focused on this sort of thing, though have played Twilight and other similar RPG's. Like you Cpt I frequent several forums focused on this subject, though many of the 'survival' forums are quite fringe and don't suit my tastes. If I were to say my favorite forum for this sort of thing then I would name The Urban Bunker (Aussie knife forum) as at the top of list.

I should have added I am a bit of a hoarder concerning survival gear (and love building kits, including EDC, BOB's GOOD and various survival and hunting related type kits) and have an reasonable sized knife collection (80+ pocket, hunting, survival knives) and am into archery (have a 55lb take down recurve and a Bear 75lb compound bow).

I used to do handgun shooting as well, though found it difficult to maintain my license so ended up giving it up.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Is 'survivalism' a code-word for the right-wing white supremacist militia movement outside of North America too?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

TTK I will answer your question as if it wasn't taking the piss out of me or the thread, for the most part, no 'survivalism' is not a code-word for the right-wing white supremacist militia movement. There will always be a perceived level of extremism in the survivalist movement, but from what I have seen of survivalists they are more concerned with preparing for the coming apocalypse, rather then anything else. I admit we do tend to be militant, politically aware and active (and swing towards the right or far right in the political spectrum) but rarely, if ever have I seen 'white supremacy' associated with 'survivalists or survivalism'.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-18-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    AKA-Dean

I also forgot to add camping and paracord man-weaving as included subjects.
    AKA-Dean

Extremist nut-cases tend to be the ones media focus on. Doesn't matter if it is religion, politics, or whatever. Same thing with in this case.

It seems to be less popular on the left side of the political spectrum, but far from unheard of.

I also think the show Doomsday Preppers has a lot to do with the negative perception survivalists receive. But like you say Cpt the media thrives on the extreme side of everything.

As far as the siding on the political spectrum, you are right Cpt survivalism is not unheard of on the left, but overwhelmingly survivalists tend towards the right, particularly the Libertarian persuasion.
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    but rarely, if ever have I seen 'white supremacy' associated with 'survivalists or survivalism'.
    So the Turner Diaries isn't popular in Australia?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    So the Turner Diaries isn't popular in Australia?
    not as far as I know, and to be honest I had to Google it and had never heard of it.

Is this what you mean?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turner_Diaries
    AKA-Dean

Yeah. It's one of the founding contemporary documents of that cluster of NA white supremacy of which American survivalism is a segment.

that aspect of American survivalism has nothing to do with Aussie survivalism, and I would surmise it has little to do with any other countries as well, and is a specific American phenomenon. The survivalist I know (and I include myself in that category) are not concerned with race or other such plebeian concerns and focus solely on the end goal, surviving an apocalyptic event.
    AKA-Dean

that aspect of American survivalism has nothing to do with Aussie survivalism, and I would surmise it has little to do with any other countries as well, and is a specific American phenomenon. The survivalist I know (and I include myself in that category) are not concerned with race or other such plebeian concerns and focus solely on the end goal, surviving an apocalyptic event.
    Well, you won't survive. That's why it's the apocalypse.

LoL, even the most virulent apocalypse sees an estimated 90% kill rate in the 'primary' stage, and then a 50% kill rate after that in the 'secondary stage' (so about 95% overall kill rate), that still leaves a heap of 'survivalist' left....

here is a good doco about a pandemic (what I see as a likely scenario for the end of man)

Again better to be prepared and not need the skills/preps/equipment, the find yourself needing the skills/preps/equipment and not having them.....
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    AKA-Dean

LoL, even the most virulent apocalypse sees an estimated 90% kill rate in the 'primary' stage, and then a 50% kill rate after that in the 'secondary stage' (so about 95% overall kill rate), that still leaves a heap of 'survivalist' left....
    Well, then it's not the apocalypse, now is it?