Thread: Earth, Final Conflict

Earth, Final Conflict

I did a search of the form and this Gene Roddenberry classic doesn't seem to have been discussed, and was wondering if anyone wanted to discuss it?

My input (relates to season 1), loved the show, the Taelon's were unlike anything I had ever seen, and were completely different and alien, and I loved how they were portrayed as having a different morals and belief system. (where most other sci-fi 'aliens' were never that alien). I also found the Boon character fascinating and engaging. The concept of the CVI and skrill was unlike anything I had ever thought of, and was some of the most interesting tech I have ever seen. I also liked the Sandoval character and the conflicted nature between the CVI conditioning and his natural instincts and personality.

the other 4 seasons, IMHO maybe watch season 2-4, but avoid season 5. I was bitterly disappointed that Boon was killed off, and replaced with a character that was one dimensional, unappealing and unlikable.

Thought's?
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

intro, Earth Final Conflict

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

It's weird seeing most of those exterior shots without condos in the backgrounds.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I am sure a lot has changed sense the '90's.
    AKA-Dean

The downtown areas of Toronto where they shoot episodes have been completely overrun by cheap overpriced condos in the last decade. The post-industrial areas/warehouses/etc that show up so often in shows like this are also all different kind of condos or IT startup offices. Compare shooting locations with Orphan Black, The Strain, Hannibal or The Expanse (I think?).

As for E:FC, I feel it never really lived up to its promise. It's another example of a show brought down by their inability to rely on the actually decent actors in their cast instead of whatever wooden Leading Man they're saddled with.

I liked the implant serial killer episode and the Amish butterfly episode though, but even then only because of the strong opening images.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I definitely view season 1 differently to the others, and wish they had continued with Boon, IMO the show was destroyed by the change in protagonists. The Amish ep was good, though other episodes like Old Flame (Boons loyalty is tested with fake memories implanted in his CVI) and Sandoval's Run (showing the conflicted nature of Sandoval between CVI conditioning and his original personality) stood out for me.
    AKA-Dean

I found both Kevin Kilner and Robert Leeshock really wooden, especially compared to Von Flores and Leni Parker's performances.

I didn't mind Kevin Kilner's performance, and really like the Boon character, but agree with your assessment of Robert Leeshock and hated the Liam Kincaid character.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-28-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    AKA-Dean

The show suffered from power struggles between the various factions among the producers, including Majel Barrett, who time and again interfered with the writers and directors. She seemed to think that just because she was Roddenberry's widow that some of his genius had rubbed off onto her. I liked Boone more than Liam by a fair site, although neither actor was tremendously talented. I also liked Lili Marquette and was disappointed when she was dropped. Sandoval was a great character, which I've never heard anyone dispute. The alien/human hybrid technology was cool, especially those pull-out transparent comm devices. All told, the series stand's head and shoulders above the even more variable-quality Andromeda.

don't get me started on Andromeda, went down hill straight after the first episode, and continued spiraling through out it's run. Season 1 was again the best of the lot, but that isn't saying much IMO.
    AKA-Dean

Flores could've carried the show, frankly.

He did, actually...

That's true, thought I don't think I saw any episodes past season 3.

I started watching late in its run as it was being promoted much in my TV market. I am surprised that Comet TV did not pick it up along with Andromeda (in its second cycling through the series) being stable mates - Roddenberry shows and being produced by Tribune-MBR at the same time (end of EFC and beginning of Andromeda). You would think that they would have market them as a programming block to make sure they would get viewers that want to see both shows get it all at once.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting