Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what CRPG are you playing?

be that as it may, in the end it doesn't really matter as to whether you believe the CRPG to be a 'real' RPG or not, the vast majority of people believe that they are and know what I mean when I say "what CRPG are you playing?" If you don't like CRPG's then don't play them.

Plus as you point out the CRPG is still evolving, eventually they will be exactly the same. Granted at the moment they are not exactly the same but they are similar enough to the traditional RPG to make them recognizable as a role playing game.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I do not believe the vast majority of people share your opinion. Hell, the vast majority of people have never heard either of the terms, so your point is actually quite null and void. Most of the people who do agree with you have never even thought about the question. I'm simply stating that they do not meet any reasonable definition, as there is no role-playing involved. As a matter of fact, I do not play any of these Computer games. The only computer game I play is solitaire, which at least plays by the styrict rules of solitaire, and just dispenses with the physical cards. C"RP"Gs dispense with the one indispensable part of an RPG - the role-playing. The earliest attempts to computerise RPGs were simply PBMs where an actual moderator ran a set of orders through a computer to resolve battles and sent you a printout by snail-mail. These were actuallty strategic-level wargames with no role-playing involved, but they used the term because D&D was a fairly recent (even then, 10+ years) development and was selling like hot-cakes. Then, in the late 1980's , they came out with simple, text-based pick-a-path puzzle games where you could choose an fantasy race to use as a playing piece, but there was still no role-playing involved. You could not do anything beyond a strict list of options, such as "go east" or "hit orc with sword". as you point out, they have improved greatly in complexity and scope, and have added increasingly good graphics, but still there is nothing that can be called role-playing, no matter how generous a definition you use. Oh, you can tantasise that the character does such-and-such, but just like the old wargames, this is not a part of the game supported by any game mechanics. Think about it, rather than reacting as if you've just been told there's no Easter Bunny.

to be honest I am not interested in arguing the point, we both think we are right and I can't see you changing my mind, just as you won't be swayed to my way of thinking, like I said, if you have no interest in CRPG's why continue the discussion? (BTW that was rhetorical, as I said I am not interested in your definition of what constitutes a RPG or CRPG)
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I have seen people playing roleplaying games in an even more restrictive way than CRPGs. A full fishtank driven sandbox, I don't think I will see any computer game coming close under my lifetime (not even the ability to roleplay with other people in a MMORPG).

The main question between TTRPG and CRPG is, does the thread belong under "Other Roleplaying Games" or under "General Chat". When I created this subforum, I didn't had other ways of gaming in mind. My decision to move it to general is in part based on looking at "live action roleplaying" (dressing, walking around, etc), as I think it is closer to tabletop roleplaying than CRPGs. If I consider LARPs belonging to "General Chat", then CRPGs do as well. I will add "tabletop/pen-and-paper" to the name of the "other roleplaying games" subforum.

On the topic at hand, I bough Pillars of Eternity at the sale Steam had last week, so it is now part of my collection

I will be interested in hearing what you think about Pillars Cpt. I have nearly finished my Path of the Damned runs, which I found very difficult.
    AKA-Dean

One computer game that I liked a lot, and while it is more a graphic "choose your own adventure" I think it might fit this thread; A wolf among us. But then, CRPG tend to be limited to games with some sort of skill, class, or level progression.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    I will be interested in hearing what you think about Pillars Cpt. I have nearly finished my Path of the Damned runs, which I found very difficult.
    I hope I will find some time to sit down and game a bit. I'm currently in the middle of a forum migration of a Swedish site, which eats up all of my free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Lundgren
    CRPG tend to be limited to games with some sort of skill, class, or level progression.
    yeah you are correct, and this was my big disappointment with Dragon Age Inquisition, they dumbed down the character generation and progression far too much and IMO spoiled it.
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    One computer game that I liked a lot, and while it is more a graphic "choose your own adventure" I think it might fit this thread; A wolf among us. But then, CRPG tend to be limited to games with some sort of skill, class, or level progression.
    Which is ironic, b/c a computer game is an environment for player skill and character skill to be synonymous, instead of abstracting it within the game.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

second part of The White March, Pillars of Eternity is available now (it just installed automatically as I pre-paid for it), will hopefully get the chance to play for a few hours today.
    AKA-Dean

Pillars of Eternity II DeadFire launch

AKA-Dean

well I have been playing Pillars of Eternity 2 for a while now, and it is great, at least as good as the original.

AKA-Dean

Honestly, this genre is not for me. I'm more of a shooter. Running and shooting and stuff like that. I don't like complex games. It's exhausting. I'm at work every day anyway. But this way, you go into CS-GO, then you get some skin on a weapon. After that you can Sell csgo skins and get some money. As far as I'm concerned, it's convenient. One does not interfere with the other. I both play and get a couple of dollars for a couple of games. Those who have not tried it, try it. You'll like it and if not, you won't lose anything.
    Last edited by CarolinaH; 02-05-2021 at 06:51 PM.

I have been playing Rust since 2019. One of my online friends recommended it to me, and I have to tell you that this game is really interesting and about survival and battles. I recently discovered an online encyclopedia about the game called totalrust.com. Lots of players use it to find out about the best gear. Since operating with it, I have discovered more players and made some new mates. I am in love with the graphics of this game, and it's my way of relaxing. I recommend it to anyone who wants to play a good game with his friends or even alone.
    Last edited by virginuso; 04-18-2022 at 02:36 PM.