Thread: Alien Planet Doco

Alien Planet Doco

this is a very good doco about the possible first contact/exploration with/of an Earth Like planet, with expert commentary.

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

and another hard science doco on alien planets

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

and a two part series showing two different planets and what life could be like on them

Aurelia (I could not find the version that has commentary)

AKA-Dean

Blue moon (with commentary)

AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    this is a very good doco about the possible first contact/exploration with/of an Earth Like planet, with expert commentary.

The CGI here is really disappointing, especially considering how beautiful the original book is.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

budget constraints would have obviously played a part, but as it stands IMHO it was great, a realistic hard science look at what a mission to an alien extraterrestrial solar system would maybe pan out like and what alien life could look like. I honestly doubt any CGI could compete with imagination generated from a book. How would you have made it better?
    AKA-Dean

Do a two-minute ad telling people to go buy Expedition?

The main weakness of Alien Planet is in, specifically, the animation, which makes sense because that's hard getting to feel right with real animals. The compositing could be a little bit better. But the thing is CGI not only can approach a better presentation of the imagery in the book, and these days, ten years after Alien Planet was released, you could probably do it fairly convincingly rendered realtime in game now.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 03-04-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

It's easy to be super critical of anything I suppose. Could it be improved, obviously, but I still enjoyed the shows and don't have the need to pick it apart.
    AKA-Dean