Thread: so if you don't want guns/bushcraft and Trek then what?

so if you don't want guns/bushcraft and Trek then what?

I have tried to open up some discussion out side of the forums normal perimeters and while there are lots of views the posting is one sided, so what does the forum want to discuss outside of Trek?
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Well, this IS a forum aimed at Star Trek pen'n'paper role-playing games, so you probably shouldn't be surprised that that's what people come here to discuss. If we want to discuss other subjects, we go to fora devoted to those subjects. The internet is a big place, and there are places for every subject.

'General Discussion' sections are a hoary remnant of the days before social media.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Well, this IS a forum aimed at Star Trek pen'n'paper role-playing games, so you probably shouldn't be surprised that that's what people come here to discuss. If we want to discuss other subjects, we go to fora devoted to those subjects. The internet is a big place, and there are places for every subject.
    well there is only so much one can talk about Trek before all has been said, and the forum does have the 'Open Discussion' section so I thought why not utilize it. As far as being surprised, no I am not, but keep in mind I was just trying to get some discussion going.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Well, what other tabletop RPGs do you play?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

as you well know (as I have told you several times in the past) I don't RPG now except for CRPG'ing. But I have played, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Shadow Run, D&D (up to 3.5), Battlelords of the 23rd Century, Aftermath, Phoenix Command and Mech Warrior to name a few in the past.
    AKA-Dean

I have been busy elsewhere (well, kind of still will be for a few weeks). Which is why I haven't participated in any discussions at all.

The General chat isn't just only a left-over from an earlier time. Killing of other topics from the forum wouldn't increase people talking about Trek or LotR, but having even less people dropping by, which would mean less people to here to talk about Trek. That in turn would mean less chance of people interested in talking about Trek roleplaying would register here, or even current members to post a Trek related topic here rater than somewhere else.

If there would be a requirement of being active with Star Trek roleplaying to participate here, I would have to kick myself out, as it was a long time since I did any roleplaying in Star Trek. I usually pitch how I want to play, and then suggest some potential games. Star Trek is always on the list, and it isn't too uncommon with a "anyone of them, except Star Trek"

Even if someone is just here of nostalgia reasons, it is someone whom can talk about both Star Trek and roleplaying games. Someone just being here for nostalgia reasons might also later find more available time, or find out other ways to play that might fit better. Different ways to roleplay is after all more than chose between rulesystems; and between linear or sandbox style.

When it comes to non-rpg topics, I tend to have at least a passing interest in everything, because if nothing else, I can use that knowledge while I'm GMing. But I can't think of any topic in particular at the moment, as my focus currently is on migrating and merging two forum databases for a Swedish site.

when you do come up with a subject Cpt please post as I would be happy to put my 2 cents worth in.

As I said I only wanted to get some discussion going and the attempt was not out of malice or attempting to detract from the forum or Trek in general. I also truly believe any forum that takes a myopic stance on posting will eventually wither and die.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 03-13-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Well, I can only speak for myself but I only rarely comment, and almost exclusively about trek gaming when I do, but even asking things and often having it questioned/argued gets annoying, as you've seen with your thread, usually the same person, year after year ... despite my low post count I've been around since the early days of the site (on my second user name identity too), so I've seen it lots.

Quote Originally Posted by RealPity View Post
    Well, I can only speak for myself but I only rarely comment, and almost exclusively about trek gaming when I do, but even asking things and often having it questioned/argued gets annoying, as you've seen with your thread, usually the same person, year after year ... despite my low post count I've been around since the early days of the site (on my second user name identity too), so I've seen it lots.
    the constant questioning/arguing does get annoying mate, but I have gotten to the point where I just say "I am not interested in arguing the point" when it invariably happens. I will say I have often felt like some posts in response to some threads both sanctimonious and condescending, but I am thinking it is because of a feeling of ownership over the forum that long time posters sometime develop.

If you want to talk about anything outside of Trek and want to contribute to this thread mate have at it, I will give it my best genuine response.
    AKA-Dean