Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Microphones? Primarily for roleplaying over the net.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,134

    Microphones? Primarily for roleplaying over the net.

    So far, I have only roleplayed over voice chat once. While I prefer to be in the same room as the other players, I think I should continue to explore other options.

    But when I have looked for cordless headsets, I can only find heavy gamer-gear stuff which I don't find that comfortable in the long run. As I have started to prefer to stand up and move around while I GM (gives me more energy, and the option to use more body language, which might even be beneficial even if not seen) I don't want a cord getting in the way.

    So my current idea is cordless headphones + a decent stationary microphone that can pick up my voice even if I move around (or from more players). I know there are microphones that can handle this, but I currently don't have a clue what to look for.

    Any ideas or suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    So far, I have only roleplayed over voice chat once. While I prefer to be in the same room as the other players, I think I should continue to explore other options.

    But when I have looked for cordless headsets, I can only find heavy gamer-gear stuff which I don't find that comfortable in the long run. As I have started to prefer to stand up and move around while I GM (gives me more energy, and the option to use more body language, which might even be beneficial even if not seen) I don't want a cord getting in the way.

    So my current idea is cordless headphones + a decent stationary microphone that can pick up my voice even if I move around (or from more players). I know there are microphones that can handle this, but I currently don't have a clue what to look for.

    Any ideas or suggestions?
    One of the players in my H.Beam Piper campaign sometimes is not able to come into town, so he'll Skype or Face Time in. The microphones in my other players' iPads do a good enough job that we have no problem. I generally sit a few metres away from the mike (Mic is a nickname for septuagenarian rockers, not an abbreviation for microphone, IMNSHO) and have no problems being heard.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 03-22-2016 at 07:22 PM.

  3. #3
    I play online fairly often (2-3 times a week) and I use a Snowball Mic that my gf picked up (for reasons unrelated to gaming). I play over Google Hangouts on an iMac, and it usually doesn't seem to produce feedback or echoing.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    One of the players in my H.Beam Piper campaign sometimes is not able to come into town, so he'll Skype or Face Time in. The microphones in my other players' iPads do a good enough job that we have no problem. I generally sit a few metres away from the mike (Mic is a nickname for septuagenarian rockers, not an abbreviation for microphone, IMNSHO) and have no problems being heard.
    That reminded me I bought a lightweight wireless headset quite a while ago, but never got it to work with my computer, just my phone. As I have an iPad lying around, I installed Skype on it and got the headset to work with it. So it looks like I have an voice only solution all set

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I play online fairly often (2-3 times a week) and I use a Snowball Mic that my gf picked up (for reasons unrelated to gaming). I play over Google Hangouts on an iMac, and it usually doesn't seem to produce feedback or echoing.
    The snowball sounds promising. I'll have to look closer at that that one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •