Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Adventures

Just got a notice from them the other day - apparently the playtest packages are being sent out at the end of November. My group and I are waiting with 'bated breath. Our current ICON adventure will continue (and hopefully conclude )on December 5, just in time to get some STA adventuring done in the near future. I'm going to be running the Venture (as, I assume, is Dan G, as he already has a Galaxy class USS Venture in play!).

I got the same email, so I'm pretty jazzed just to be included.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I got the email too.

I - I'm feeling just a little left out here, having not received any e-mails, and waiting with the rest of the Great Unwashed for the game to come out in retail sales. Any way I might be able to get in on this a bit further? I promise I won't give with any secrets, other than posting them on my blog, which gets in the neighbourhood of a few hundred thousand hits an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    I can't, for the time being, talk about what I'm writing for the game, but I can say that I'm very, very excited to get to write for this project, and hope that it goes on for a good long while.
    I'm going to introduce you to our Mind Sifter - or Mind Ripper, depending on how much force is used. We can record every thought in a man's mind...of course, when that much force is used, the mind is emptied...permanently, I'm afraid...wait, that'd kind of mess up things with regard to getting the books out. Okay, we'll lay off the weapons of interrogation and just pass on all best hopes and confidences that the Modiphius game is going to turn out excellent.

Once again, wonderful to see the old gang beginning to assemble again. Looking forward very much to the teasers and advertisements as the release date grows closer, and that we get to see a game system - and company, along with its writers and staff - grow and become very successful over the course of the next several years.

I signed up at GenCon, so I don't know if there's still sign-up forms available.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride View Post
    I - I'm feeling just a little left out here, having not received any e-mails, and waiting with the rest of the Great Unwashed for the game to come out in retail sales. Any way I might be able to get in on this a bit further? I promise I won't give with any secrets, other than posting them on my blog, which gets in the neighbourhood of a few hundred thousand hits an hour.
    If you're interested in getting in on the playtest, go to http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html

Many thanks, Owen; I'll be filling this out. As a quick by-the-way, will this be played, to the best of your knowledge, by e-mail exchange or Skype? I don't have a desk-top camera or communications system as yet to participate through that latter methodology, but could pick that stuff up with relatively little difficulty.

So far as I know, if you're just playtesting as a single player, they send you the playtest package for you to read and critique, as well as testing the character generation. I you select to be a GM, they also send you one of four scenario packages to run for your gaming group. That's the extent of my knowledge to date.

I'm Back

Haven't been back and posting since 8/13/2009, though I tend to come back every November to see what has been happening. Nice new forum look and function.

I also am happy/intrigued about Modiphius' Star Trek. I've fallen off playing tabletop for awhile, when Decipher RPG ended, I sustained my Star Trek RPG appetite by gaming it through GURPS (not Prime Directive either), which I rather enjoyed. In effect, Modiphius will need to be pretty darned good to make me want to switch. My hope is that the 2D20 System is optimized for Star Trek, and promote good interactive play between players and with the GM without it being too cumbersome (i.e. too much record keeping). On the other hand, I hope the rules are well-written, clear and concise. As I understand, individual writers have been assigned to different chapters. I hope the editor is up o the task, unifying the styles of writing to make sure the rules are seamlessly presented.

One request to any present here in the 'ol forum that may be writing for Modiphius or have the proverbial ear of those in charge: death of characters, PC, NPCs, etc. happens. While medicine in the future is apparently capable of great things, let us not be too forgiving in the game mechanic. Seriously, the Trek universe has canon disintegrations. Allow this fact to influence how characters (especially those in Star Fleet) should act. It is part of the genre.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Got the first part of the playtest package today.

Grrrr...

Still waiting for mine

Got mine too. The sample characters seem very "rules-lite" to me. I'd really like to see the character generation rules expecially going beyond starting cadets to see what the characters look like with a little more meat on the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Trr View Post
    Got mine too. The sample characters seem very "rules-lite" to me. I'd really like to see the character generation rules expecially going beyond starting cadets to see what the characters look like with a little more meat on the bones.
    Just received an email with 5 PDF files including a 40+ page rule summary. I suspect the rule system is not overly crunchy, trying to curry favor with millenials, I suppose. Instead of an intricate system with tightly written rules (i.e GURPS), we will get something like the new Star Wars game from FFG, big in player/GM interaction (i.e. dice pools) and light on crunchiness (I.e. look how they handle weapons, like hand phasers... not detailed to canon, but elegant). This is not necessaruly bad. I'm going to email the files to my group and we'll start tomorrow night.

If I can disintegrate a target easily, I'll be satisfied.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Looks like all the pre-gen characters have 55 points of attributes, haven't figured out how they distribute skills and focuses yet.

Got the playtest docs today!

Allen