Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Adventures

Pleased to see so many names I recognize among the writers. This speaks well for the game. I got the playtest pack today and I am raring to go!

Allen

Got this as well, and am looking forward to going through the engine mechanics, taking account as to how close to canon they've stuck, and enjoying "fluffy" bits that add that so-important game designers' (and players') flavour.

Hoping that we can bat the subject back and forth here, as well as with the Modiphius Devs. Watching the door to deliverance open that much further...

Got my pack. We'll see if they send me any more after my feedback notes mention converting it to Gumshoe...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

not sure suggesting conversion to a different game system is helpful when playtesting THIS one...

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by AllenS View Post
    not sure suggesting conversion to a different game system is helpful when playtesting THIS one...

Allen
    Agreed. While such an action might be of peripheral interest from a Dev's perspective (and possibly serve as a point of discussion for players), the key at this point is addressing the question: Does the fricking game work? Such will be key to whether or not the game gets positive reviews, and - hopefully - lead to strong enough sales figures to justify continued and expanded publication.

I'm not suggesting conversion, but my interest is in the scenarios and game material, not the system.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Just a quick note to the population here: I received an e-mail from Chris at Modiphius, and along with other pertinent information passed along, it was stated that they're looking to have the Core book out by Summer, 2017. This indicates we're roughly seven, nine months out from seeing how the game has developed at its corporate birth. Looking forward to more positive notes and points in the months ahead.

I'm a little "hmmmm" about some of the mechanics. I know during development of the Star Trek Adventures, the lead designer of FFG's Edge of the Empire (a system I'm a big fan of), Jay Little helped shape some of the narrative mechanics for STA. My only big beef is in EotE you only make one die pool roll for EVERYTHING (to determine success, damage, and any narrative effects), under STA the mechanics call for an extra roll which seems a little clunky...

And some of the game language isn't entirely clear, but it's a good start.

Really looking forward to the starship combat rules...

Yancy
    In the... jingle.... jangle mornin'.... I'll come following you....

The Rolistes Podcast - Ep 16 Star Trek

Check the latest episode of my show, The Rolistes Podcast, to find out a bit more about Star Trek Adventures with, among other things, an interview with Modiphius' Chris Birch and DAvid F. Chapman as well as John Champion from Mission Log Podcast.

I must warn that we didn't go deep into the game system. I also had to remove quite a bit of the nitty-gritty dice rolling and rules explanations from the playtest to make it enjoyable to listen to (also the episo is already 2 hours and a half long as it is). I hope the fans from Trek RPG Forum will enjoy this episode nonetheless.

https://rolistespod.wordpress.com/20...ris-john-dave/

How did your playtest go?

I'm actually surprised to see that there hasn't been much traffic about how the rules actually play. My group did the intro adventure last Sunday and had a lot to say. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had the chance to run/play the adventure and to learn what they thought of the system in action.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I'm not suggesting conversion, but my interest is in the scenarios and game material, not the system.
    Honestly, that's where I am too. I want the "fluff". If/when I actually play Trek I use either Decipher or (my perferred choice) FASA.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Donovan View Post
    Honestly, that's where I am too. I want the "fluff". If/when I actually play Trek I use either Decipher or (my perferred choice) FASA.
    CODA is my system of choice. Both my daughter and I love it.

My favorite thing from ICON - the Planets of the UFP and Among the Clans books, and the Romulan boxed set.
    FASA - Their books on Orions

I'm interested in what the new game will have by way of Alien write-ups. My favorite thing.

I had a problem with Planets of the UFP. It seemed every world write-up was the same: big planetary war that nearly kills everybody then a messianic figure saves them all by bringing enlightenment. Very cookie-cutter.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Have you ever seen Worlds for the CODA system ?

I think it's very cool, and very useful.

I wish it had been issued as a hard-covered book. Or even a soft-cover like Decipher's Helm's Deep book for The Lord of the Rings.

I've seen it. It's pretty good. Decipher's work in general was a lot better than LUG's, in my opinion.