Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Silly writers declared it the flagship ala a Flagship Store of a grocery chain. They seemed to have no clue a flagship means an Admiral aboard, who on surface ships flew a flag, or in Commodores case a broad pennant.

quite correct TTK (as in the Yorktown) but for the actual show the name was Enterprise, and that being my overall point.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Someone's comment above about how TV has changed since ENT got me thinking: perhaps now we can have a Trek series that reflects the things we've done in our games. Or at least seen in our imaginations and some of the novels.
    Despite the rise of reality TV, our taste in what we watch has gotten a little more sophisticated. Non-linear storytelling, complex characters and a focus on bigger story arc have given rise to seasons of shows that would have been unthinkable ten years ago. Take this most recent season of walking dead. We're half way through the 6th season and, thanks to it's non-linear story telling it's only been like 2 days. And a majority of the fans love it.

So, what I'm saying is that it's possible a new Trek show could do things we've only seen done in high-concept science fiction novels. And really good rpg campaigns.

I'm all for modernising Trek. I just hope they won't think this means adding unlikeable characters, perpetually conflictual relationships and backstabs, and gratuitous sex (or at the very least, fanservice that would make Seven's catsuit or ENT shower scenes feel like a kid's show).

But I'm fearing it will.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

as they say sex sells...LoL But seriously have a look at the current crop of series of almost any genre (Game of thrones, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Killjoys and others), and you will see gratuitous violence with heaps of gore and blood, nudity and profanity, it is what the people want, why wouldn't Trek follow? I just hope it doesn't follow Abrams lead and completely f*** it up.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 11-30-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    (or at the very least, fanservice that would make Seven's catsuit or ENT shower scenes feel like a kid's show).
    I fear for anyone who actually found either of those sexy instead of terminally awkward.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

some of the Ent scenes were pretty racy though all the series had sex integrated somewhat into the threads of the stories, particularly the decon scenes with t'Pol, Phlox, or the 'Vulcan Neural pressure' scenes, with t'Pol and Trip. Many of those scenes had Jolene Blalock flouncing around only in a sheer robe or naked (rear view). I can most certainly see a M or MA rated Trek series doing well.

Google 'sexy star trek' and this is what you find

http://whatculture.com/tv/star-trek-...the-collar.php
    AKA-Dean

Cool

would not mind seeing a ship named after this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Johnston_%28DD-557%29

or this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sa...s_%28DE-413%29

The Enterprise has a long and honorable name, but it's been oversold, along with Defiant, and Voyager.

1) how about something showing the not-quiet-the-cream-of-the-crop dealing with the things that we tend to see in Trek, and how they deal with it.

2) The central cast does lose on occasion, and we get to see the fall out of that.

3) A large cast of characters. to fill out the ensemble (ala B5)

4) The Prime Directive is a set of guidelines to be followed, but it is not the 'be all and end all' of the Federation. Also, more instances of the crew discovering that perhaps another power has already interfered with the local population, and have to deal with the results. None of this clear overly plastic PD drama we've had to put up with.

5) Interpersonal conflict can be understated, and mutual antagonism can be seen (see Best of Both Worlds or Chain of Command), But if someone does really get out of line without goo reason.....bust them hard. Yer Officers and crewmen, dammit. Act like it

6) I kinda see Starfleet following the Peacekeeper/Explorer Model, with Explorer taking up most of the time, but Peacekeeper always in the background. and drills to maintain discipline and COF attitudes. You can have some arguments over this, but cooler heads should prevail when the chips come down.

7) Theme: "The Right thing To Do Is Not Necessarily The Moral Thing To Do".

Pardon my soapbox here, but TNG and to a lesser extent Voyager and DS9 ground my gears hard on this one so I've specced this theme out specifically. Starfleet does have some high Standards and Ideals which are respectable and nothing to be ashamed of, Making sure you do not potentially damage a society not quite ready for contact. Okay. Fine. Nothing wrong here.

Now here comes the curve ball: The Civilization in question has resources that The Federation needs Badly for some reason (say, Borg Invasion and this will help create something that will stop them). But it's in such a position that taking it surreptitiously isn't going to work and you have a few hundred billion people in your sector who are Drone Bait unless you break the PD. Now to add to the fun of this decision, have the characters be aware that if the Federation won't do it..other local powers will. And they won't be gentle about it. So for this that religiously follow the PD, moral quandary time. To hammer the point home, have some of the crew have relation that are in the path.

Sudden, contact a race that may or may not be ready for contact that could possibly be hostile in the future doesn't seem so bad. Not so easy to fly that flag High, is it? Stories which bring up the Prime Directive can be well written, but the moralizing going with it needs both sides of the argument. And consequences for both ends of the decision that impact the characters. If you are going to play with this concept, then make it have meaning. Like getting busted out of the service possible prison if you screw up. It can make for great stories.

more later
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

How about some non-US Navy ships? Something British, or French, or even Canadian? Or even (gasp) something non-Human? US Navy ships have been done to DEATH. Let's have a little originality.

How about The Le Clerc or The Courvoisier? and isn't Intrepid British?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    How about some non-US Navy ships? Something British, or French, or even Canadian? Or even (gasp) something non-Human? US Navy ships have been done to DEATH. Let's have a little originality.
    non-human would be great, something Andorian would interest me .

As far as the Enterprise, I think it was chosen because they had both ships and shuttles named Enterprise.
    AKA-Dean

Hate to bust your anti-USN rant but:

HMS Enterprise https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Enterprise_(D52)
    HMS Voyager https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Voyager_(D31)

first space shuttle, so OV-101 Enterprise was the first Earth built 'space ship' in real life, so I can see why homage was paid to the name....Ironically this vehicle's namesake is the NCC 1701 Enterprise from Star Trek..LoL

"Construction began on Enterprise on June 4, 1974.[1] Designated OV-101, it was originally planned to be named Constitution and unveiled on Constitution Day, September 17, 1976. A letter-writing campaign by Star Trek fans to President Gerald Ford asked that the orbiter be named after the Starship Enterprise. White House advisors cited "hundreds of thousands of letters" from Trekkies—"one of the most dedicated constituencies in the country"—as a reason for giving the shuttle the name. Although Ford did not publicly mention the campaign, the president, saying he was "partial to the name" Enterprise, directed NASA officials to change the name.[3][10][11]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

plus some pretty prestigious Enterprise US navel vessels,
    most awarded and decorated US ship of WWII
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)

worlds first nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...med_Enterprise
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-01-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    AKA-Dean

how bout C-57-E
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    how bout C-57-E

can you supply a link please?
    AKA-Dean