Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Um, that's C-57-D, not E.

Quote Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
    Not a rant, just a plea for some variety. Besides, the starship Enterprise was explicitly named after CVN-65, the US nuclear aircraft carrier, regardless of the non-US-flagged ships with the same name. Voyager was a welcome change from the usual. The original list of alternate names proposed by Roddenberry, Justman, et al included several non-US names. The series itself has used non-US names from time to time, like Excelsior, Reliant and Bellerophon, but most fannish suggestions fall back on the old, boring US names. Most of these fans are from the US, so given the US educational system all they know is US history, but surely SF fans can take a broader view.

And just because the Enterprise-D was supposedly ceremonially the "flagship" of the Federation does not mean that any other Enterprise was considered such, especially since, as has already been pointed out, none of them carried a flag officer, which is the naval term's traditional meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    first space shuttle, so OV-101 Enterprise was the first Earth built 'space ship' in real life, so I can see why homage was paid to the name....Ironically this vehicle's namesake is the NCC 1701 Enterprise from Star Trek..LoL
    A move which Roddenberry protested against, since he felt that A) the shuttle should not be named after a military vessel (this was way before he jumped on the "Starfleet is not military" bandwagon) and B) it was not an operational vessel, merely a test-bed for atmospheric flights (which means it was not at all a 'space ship'). In point of fact, OV-101 was not the first Shuttle Orbiter built - that accolade goes to OV-099 Challenger, also built as a test-bed but later brought up to space-worthy standards. The first operational Shuttle Orbiter was OV-102 Columbia which would make it the first Earth-built reuseable space ship. Previous manned space vessels were considered (and still are) space ships, including the Vostok, Voskhod and Soyuz as well as the American Mercury, Gemini, Apollo CSM, and Apollo LM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Um, that's C-57-D, not E.
    That's the joke!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

See my Executive producer and I'll raise you 3 executive producers.

The new show has 2 executive producers: Alex Kurtzman, co-writer of the films Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, and Heather Kadin. However that wasn't enough so Bryan Fuller a former Trek writer was made one too. Still not satisfied so Wrath of Khan's Nicholas Meyer was made executive producer. But that just isn't thinking big so Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth both of
    Roddenberry Entertainment were added as....executive producers. That's six EP's.

What is that old saw about too many cooks?

In other news, it's apparently going to be filmed in my 'hood. Maybe I can get a job?

You're in Toronto?

Yeah. It makes sense that Fuller would choose T.O. for the production, given his existing ties here from Hannibal and the current exchange rate.

Star Trek Discovery

The New series is to be called Star Trek Discovery

http://www.startrek.com/article/intr...-s-s-discovery

Of all of the unused starship designs they could've used, they used that one?

Well, the MacQuarrieprise is a big fan favourite so maybe they're trying to attract hardcore fans after the largely negative reaction in the fan community over the JJverse. Myself, I rather like the ship, but I don't initially favour the saucer treatment - maybe it'll grow on me - or the angular look of the nacelles. And the brown colour - what are they, Cardassians? Starfleet ships should be cool blue-grey colours in the signature "Starfleet-clean" designs. A-a-and the video is no longer available. It can't be a copyright issue, since the StarTrek.com page linked directly to it...

It looks like more of a brass to me, although frankly that could be the light's colours than a reflective quality of the hull. The saucer's expanded-Oberth look is interesting...

On rewatching the video I like it a lot better than the ship designs from the JJ films, and it technically has the advantage of already having appeared on screen, kind of.

The ship design fits the TNG/DS9-era ship design enough to work for me. Not too fond of the design of the warp section, but I guess I will get used to it if the show is good enough

It's apparently the first Warp 8 ship, which would make it pre-2245, as the Constitution was capable of Warp 8. Frankly, the previous treatments on the McQuarrieprise haven't thrilled my, but this one shows promise. Of course, they do stress this is a first pass and details will certainly change.