Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Well, the MacQuarrieprise is a big fan favourite so maybe they're trying to attract hardcore fans after the largely negative reaction in the fan community over the JJverse. Myself, I rather like the ship, but I don't initially favour the saucer treatment - maybe it'll grow on me - or the angular look of the nacelles. And the brown colour - what are they, Cardassians? Starfleet ships should be cool blue-grey colours in the signature "Starfleet-clean" designs. A-a-and the video is no longer available. It can't be a copyright issue, since the StarTrek.com page linked directly to it...
    There's only been ONE version of that design I thought worked, and the one in the video isn't it.

This one I like:

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...in-d31ckar.jpg

Too bad it was never finished.

Hmm. Not too sure about this ship. OK, going for a "halfway point" between the NX-01 and NCC-1701, maybe...

Perhaps I'm getting too set in my ways. Perhaps that old Red Alert klaxon in the back of my head started sounding when I learned that Discovery was to be a prequel of TOS. Perhaps, just perhaps, in 20 years' time, they'll produce a Trek series that... I don't know... might just take place after the events of the Dominion War and Nemesis. Going forward instead of just spinning their wheels in place.

Then again, we still have to watch Discovery, haven't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Hmm. Not too sure about this ship. OK, going for a "halfway point" between the NX-01 and NCC-1701, maybe...

Perhaps I'm getting too set in my ways. Perhaps that old Red Alert klaxon in the back of my head started sounding when I learned that Discovery was to be a prequel of TOS. Perhaps, just perhaps, in 20 years' time, they'll produce a Trek series that... I don't know... might just take place after the events of the Dominion War and Nemesis. Going forward instead of just spinning their wheels in place.

Then again, we still have to watch Discovery, haven't we?
    Bravo mate, and well said. I would like a series based well after the 2370's, maybe even as far ahead as the 29th century and do the last adventures of the Enterprise line.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

latest news

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Does anyone else find that channel's videos a little annoying?

It's also out of date, Fuller stepped down, citing "overscheduling" though I've heard a lot of talk about infighting with the money side of the studio.

I'll be cruiosu to see where this goes, but if CBS has little hope for it....
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

CBS is sitting pretty. The overseas rights sale alone made their investment back and a little more. In true studio fashion, however, they don't want to spend a penny more than they absolutely must. And they're going to charge every penny they can, which is why US viewers will have to pay extra to get it from All Access (or whatever stupid name they gave it).

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

So, it's apparently in the Kelvin timeline, not set up like the original series. It looks like a nice sci-fi show, but worried about lots of little things: Why do the Klingons looks like 4th Doctor era aliens? A species that detects death? In Star Trek? I think I saw the artificial intelligence character, and wasn't the captain originally a guy?

Well, There has been back and forth between Les Moonves and the production staff over ST: Dis (I'm not using ST, that's just insulting) and nothing is ever finalized in early drafts of idea. so lets concern ourselves over what we are seeing:

1. It looks to be a connecting series Between Enterprise and Kelvin Timeline (this is a reasonable guess)
    2. The Klingons look like a cross between Jem'Hadar and Movie Era Klingons. Given the ravages of the Augment Virus, I can see some attempts to fix it having issues. The uniforms look odd, but it's not Gold Lamae, at least.
    3. The new Discovery design beats the original design they showed IMHO. We are not getting the 50 year old aesthetic back, let's jsut get used to that. The Movies have us a re-imaging of that and we saw how much of a fit people threw over that. The ENT influenced look will likely test better with newer audiences, which is what CBS is aiming for.
    4. The Bridge looks like a Star Trek Online Bridge, which I am okay with, with influences from KT.
    the alien that sense death does raise eyebrows. I wanna see what they do with this.

I will endeavor to be fair to this series

This is a good look at some of the crap going on behind the scenes that touches on how you might look at the trailer.

Guy I know who did some set design work said they used up all the construction foam in Canada doing vines on the tomb-ship.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I can't say this trailer thrilled me. I will probably see if I can give the series a try, but I'm not very optimistic.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Of course, this looks pretty good. Is it better?

this was in the side recommendations on the YouTube clip of The Orville (which looks good to me, a little hearted spoof of Trek like Galaxy Quest)

AKA-Dean