Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Galaxy Quest got me thinking; there is the Franz's Starfleet Universe/Prime Directive. That would be interesting if Paramount or some other TV production company pick up that IP for a TV series. Is that even possible?
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

So TOS, but without any of the familiar characters? Why would they do that?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

yeah they have done the earlier Trek to death, with TOS and several Trek movies, Enterprise and the bastardized Abram's movies. Plus Trek tends to want to focus on the Enterprise for the most part, so basing a series on another ship isn't viable (Voyager being the only exception, so it's already been done)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 11-19-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

My concern is that the SFB universe doesn't really have anything distinctive to it—it's sort of like the GoBots.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well they do have one distinction - they decided to portray the Klingons as just these guys, y'know?. Just normal folks next door, nothing really alien. Honestly, that's Steve Cole's philosophy. And it's so militaristic, being based on a wargame version of Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual that I tend to think of it as a mirror universe Star Trek game. A TV treatment might appeal to some, but it's not Star Trek - Paramount has licensed it, but they're not allowed to use the name Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    So TOS, but without any of the familiar characters? Why would they do that?
    Paramount seems to want to do a Star Trek show any ways vis via its interest in doing Galaxy Quest. Seems like it would save them some development time and be more familiarity. They could have Vulcans and call them Vulcan, etc. If it is Paramount then they would have some ability to use them. Also less time spend on background development.

Paramount is using the more familiar characters in the movie franchise anyways, so they would be using different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    yeah they have done the earlier Trek to death, with TOS and several Trek movies, Enterprise and the bastardized Abram's movies. Plus Trek tends to want to focus on the Enterprise for the most part, so basing a series on another ship isn't viable (Voyager being the only exception, so it's already been done)
    High concept names for the staring starship like Voyager would/could easily be used: Venture, Constitution, Constellation, Galaxy, Nebula, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    My concern is that the SFB universe doesn't really have anything distinctive to it—it's sort of like the GoBots.
    How about the Interstellar Concordium that is another federation of planet who enforce peace via war?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Well they do have one distinction - they decided to portray the Klingons as just these guys, y'know?. Just normal folks next door, nothing really alien. Honestly, that's Steve Cole's philosophy. And it's so militaristic, being based on a wargame version of Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual that I tend to think of it as a mirror universe Star Trek game. A TV treatment might appeal to some, but it's not Star Trek - Paramount has licensed it, but they're not allowed to use the name Star Trek.
    But they have use of Starfleet (but so has Star Wars briefly used that name too) and Prime Directive name. Did Enterprise series need to have Star Trek in the name to be Star Trek? No, but they did add it later. As Enterprise, Starfleet and Prime Directive all are connotative Star Trek.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    High concept names for the staring starship like Voyager would/could easily be used: Venture, Constitution, Constellation, Galaxy, Nebula, etc.
    I think you are misunderstanding the premise, Trek focuses on the Enterprise because the Federations flag ship is named Enterprise. The flag ship leads the way for the Federation and the show primarily was set around the adventures of that ship. Like I said Voyager and DS-9 deviated from this so it's been done. IMHO any series should go back to the tried and true formula of setting a series around the adventures of the Enterprise.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Given what happened with Enterprise, the formula seems less tried and true than creaky and worn out.

I'm really interested to see what they do with the new show. It's an entirely new production team and the TV landscape has changed since Enterprise. It's going to be a different show and I'm okay with that.
    It's possible that the TV series will be an extension of the movie's reboot of TOS but as apparently, rights-wise, the TV shows and the movies are separate entities, my money is on it being a continuation of the prime time line, carrying on at some point after Voyager but with Vulcan and Romulus gone because to have them still around would be confusing for the bulk of the audience who are most likely only really familiar with the new movies. They'll just gloss over the inconsistencies.
    Personally, I'd love CBS/Paramount to go full Disney with Trek and market the crap out of it. Movies, cartoons, TV shows spinoffs, toys and merch galore. Sadly, these days Trek seems to be the one franchise that it's not cool to be in to

Wayne

I think you are misunderstanding the premise, Trek focuses on the Enterprise because the Federations flag ship is named Enterprise. The flag ship leads the way for the Federation and the show primarily was set around the adventures of that ship. Like I said Voyager and DS-9 deviated from this so it's been done. IMHO any series should go back to the tried and true formula of setting a series around the adventures of the Enterprise.
    I am not "misunderstanding the premise". I think you are making it up or at least unduly restricting the concept. The Enterprise was NOT the Federation flagship in the original series. During the series, the (USS Constellation was captained by a Commodore (Matt Decker), thus making it a more prestigious posting than the Enterprise. In fact, a true flagship. By the time of the movie era, the Enterprise probably became the flagship as its emblem was adopted fleet wide. So it was more of why it became the Federation flagship.

In Enterprise, the NX-1 was the only ship of line until the Columbia and it was an united Earth ship.

Besides, there would be a flagship for every fleet. And every thing did not have a Starship Enterprise involved.

TOS had 3 season with TNG 7 and Enterprise had 4 that is 14 season. While DS9 and Voyager each had 7 season. Thus the Enterprise based series had 14 and so did the non-Enterprise series.

I am not 'making it up'

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Flagship

The Enterprise D was the Flagship of the Federation, and I am assuming the Enterprise E (the Enterprise E, as of 2376 is the most advance starship of the Federation and would rightly fill the position of 'flagship of the Federation") would carry on that tradition. I concede that there are flagships of each individual battle group, for example The USS Defiant was the 'flagship' in many battles during the Dominion war, but overall there is precedent for 'one flagship for the entire fleet', and Enterprise historically fills this position.

as per Memory Alpha "The USS Enterprise-D served as the "flagship of the Federation" and of Starfleet, from 2364 to 2371. (TNG: "The Icarus Factor", "Sarek", "The High Ground", "Remember Me", "Ensign Ro", "Man of the People", "Chain of Command, Part I", "Starship Mine", "Force of Nature", "Parallels"; Star Trek Generations; DS9: "Bar Association")"
    AKA-Dean

I am not 'making it up'

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Flagship

The Enterprise D was the Flagship of the Federation, and I am assuming the Enterprise E (the Enterprise E, as of 2376 is the most advance starship of the Federation and would rightly fill the position of 'flagship of the Federation") would carry on that tradition. I concede that there are flagships of each individual battle group, for example The USS Defiant was the 'flagship' in many battles during the Dominion war, but overall there is precedent for 'one flagship for the entire fleet', and Enterprise historically fills this position.

as per Memory Alpha "The USS Enterprise-D served as the "flagship of the Federation" and of Starfleet, from 2364 to 2371. (TNG: "The Icarus Factor", "Sarek", "The High Ground", "Remember Me", "Ensign Ro", "Man of the People", "Chain of Command, Part I", "Starship Mine", "Force of Nature", "Parallels"; Star Trek Generations; DS9: "Bar Association")"
    I am quite aware that the Enterprise D was the Federation flagship but your assumption was that it was the Flagship in all series that it was the show's ship. Which I just pointed out is not the case in the original series, which therefor absolutely undermined your made up position from the first original series of Trek. So, it is "made" up as TNG is NOT the only series of Star Trek and you admit that the Defiant was a flagship. If Star Trek is so limiting then how is there any options to RPG Star Trek other than on the Enterprise of its era? So, this whole website is sham.

The Ent-D being a 'flagship' doesn't really make any sense in the naval meaning of the term, since only in 'Redemption pt. 2' does it really lead a group of ships. They seem to be using it (ironically) in the marketing sense of 'shiniest product.'

OK I was a little presumptuous with the flagship part, and was only expanding on the Enterprise-D example, though answer this, did Trek focus PRIMARILY on following the adventures of one ship? Was this ship not called Enterprise? If you ask anyone, 'what was Trek about' would they not say that it was about a starship and it's crew exploring space and the human condition in the future, and that starships name was Enterprise? The point I was trying (obviously poorly) to make was that the Enterprise is iconic for Trek and integral to the Trek brand.

I in no way meant to implied that the idea of Trek is limiting, and apologize if that was your take on my post. As far as this site being a sham, if you are unhappy with the site why post here? I, for one love this site and only hate the fact that I didn't find it earlier.
    AKA-Dean

OK I was a little presumptuous with the flagship part, and was only expanding on the Enterprise-D example, though answer this, did Trek focus PRIMARILY on following the adventures of one ship?
    You can read Roddenberry's rationale here, where he compares it to Gunsmoke's Dodge City or Kildare's Blair General Hospital. (Dodge City later being the inspiration for DS9.)

Was this ship not called Enterprise?
    It was Yorktown in the first draft.