Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Should I merge this thread and New Star Trek tv show in 2017 thread? It would seems like that would increase discussion as those that posted their would receive notices about additional information.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Per TVline, Discovery is suppose to premier on Sunday, September 24, at 8:30/7:30c on both CBS and CBS All Access streaming service. The second episode is planned to be available the same night. Episodes will then come out every Sunday only on CBS All Access.

Jonathan Frakes is also reported (by the same TV Line article) going to direct an episode of season 1.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

In Canada, it'll air on SPACE on basic cable. Check local listings for time.

Quote Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
    It will almost certainly drown in its own Political Correctness.
    It's a show about literal space communists.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    In Canada, it'll air on SPACE on basic cable. Check local listings for time.
    I see that the show will be on Netflix internationally, so is that just for the premier episode like in the US?

Star Trek: Discovery producer explains why the Klingons changed
    But the big question online that fans keep asking: Why did producers redesign the look of the Klingons?

Showrunner Aaron Harberts noted that original series showrunner Bryan Fuller was an advocate of updating the look of the Klingons and was involved in the redesign — and that the look of the Klingons has frequently changed over the franchise’s 52 years.

“In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent,” Harberts said. “We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign.”
    I don't understand this at all. If you consider TOS & TNG era Klingons are the same design, it was just the TOS version the budget did not allow for prosthetic as the make up look as if the ridge lines were there. Plus, they had the Enterprise episode to explain the change away. So to throw together a new design that looks like a Klingon - Narn smash up that only is done to validate their position that it has changed. It would be another thing to design a minority Klingon group like the pale Andorians, Aenar, but there is suppose to be a different design for each house.

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    I see that the show will be on Netflix internationally, so is that just for the premier episode like in the US?

Star Trek: Discovery producer explains why the Klingons changed

I don't understand this at all. If you consider TOS & TNG era Klingons are the same design, it was just the TOS version the budget did not allow for prosthetic as the make up look as if the ridge lines were there. Plus, they had the Enterprise episode to explain the change away. So to throw together a new design that looks like a Klingon - Narn smash up that only is done to validate their position that it has changed. It would be another thing to design a minority Klingon group like the pale Andorians, Aenar, but there is suppose to be a different design for each house.
    Yes, the glaring lack of continuity-awareness from those producing this show is not promising.

And I wouldn't consider one change that just took a really long time to explain as "frequently" changing appearance.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

the blue Klingon's puts me off, and the Abram's style 'action' will ruin it for me as well, but it airs today on Netflix so I will have to wait and see.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

just finished watching both episodes, production quality is great, and overall enjoyed it, but the changes in the Klingon's (they don't look like Trek Klingon's to me) and the continued use of 'Abram's style action' is disappointing.

Though I will say it was better than expected.
    AKA-Dean

As I am not married to any particular aesthetic and simply take the show as a new take on Star Trek. I fully remember the shouts of NEEEEERDRAAAEEEGGGG over TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT...

1. The new ship designs are fine for me. We are not getting back the TOS look. Let's just get over that, shall we?
    2. Uniforms...I'm ambiguous about ATM.
    3. I find it funny that the social commentary was coming from the Klingons about the Federation and the Klingon Leader practiced Klingon meritocracy as opposed to the standard picking someone because of bloodline
    4. John. M Ford Klingons may apply . The Black Fleet Reference was a complete surprise.

this is going to be interesting
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Liking the characters, tech seems more advanced then TOS era tech but seems in line with what we have tech wise. But the Klingons; the whole xenophobic, Klingon supremacist cult like thing was nice, but having a hard time fitting them into everything that we "know" about the culture of the Klingons. They could have been another race and not hurt anything.

But maybe it'll be cleared up in later episodes.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Liking the characters, tech seems more advanced then TOS era tech but seems in line with what we have tech wise. But the Klingons; the whole xenophobic, Klingon supremacist cult like thing was nice, but having a hard time fitting them into everything that we "know" about the culture of the Klingons. They could have been another race and not hurt anything.

But maybe it'll be cleared up in later episodes.
    Well the 'Black Fleet' theology was a analogue to Vallhala. People also forget that in TOS that the Klingons often described themselves as "We are Hunters. We take what we need." And perceived all other species as weak. The Federations integration of different species into it's heirarchy must have been particularly galling and inspiring of contempt to them. The leader (his name escapes me) was just more vocal about it. And as he was looking for something to unify the 24 great houses.....
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I still reserve judgment since I want to give it a chance. It has been a rocky start out of the gate in my opinion.

for me what spoiled it somewhat was the 'new style' Abram's started, focusing on action over story lines and plot. As mentioned above it is also out of sync with the established technology level (for early Federation 23rd century), but again that's Abram's influence, even though it is set in the 'original' timeline and not the "Kelvin Timeline" Abram's introduced.

I would have loved if they had tied it in with Enterprise, and have Micheal Burnham be Trip (Charles Tucker III) and T'pol's 1/2 human, 1/2 Vulcan hybrid child (the first to have ever been born) who would be about 80 years old (only a young adult for a Vulcan) by the timeline set for Discovery.
    AKA-Dean

I'm with you there. Just watched it yesterday. All though, I thought that Michelle Yeoh was great as the captain. I don't know if I will watch any more of them.