Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Discovery is getting savaged on YouTube, if that is any indication of anything, lots of people saying that the writers/producers have destroyed the franchise with over the top SJW/political statements and not producing a show with a spirit of a similar vein of Trek products.

this vid puts some light on what the show may be about

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    and not producing a show with a spirit of a similar vein of Trek products.
    Trek products being about heroic space communists.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Not sure why people are all "They got's SJW in our Starry Treck!!"

Trek has always. I mean ALWAYS. Once again for those of you in the back: ALWAYS been about SJW's in space. Whether it's the stupidity of racism, the rights of minorities, gender equality, LGBTQ rights, or the dangers of falling into fascism, Star Fleet has always been a bunch of SJW's showing up, telling your culture why you're wrong with a moving speech, and fixing the issue. If this is news to you, then I'm not sure what show you've been watching all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Not sure why people are all "They got's SJW in our Starry Treck!!"

Trek has always. I mean ALWAYS. Once again for those of you in the back: ALWAYS been about SJW's in space. Whether it's the stupidity of racism, the rights of minorities, gender equality, LGBTQ rights, or the dangers of falling into fascism, Star Fleet has always been a bunch of SJW's showing up, telling your culture why you're wrong with a moving speech, and fixing the issue. If this is news to you, then I'm not sure what show you've been watching all these years.
    yeah we all knew that, what most are saying is Discovery is going WAY over the top with the SJW and far left platform. As I have said I have been enjoying The Orville more, I will still watch Discovery (we have nothing else of Trek available), but they are spoiling the brand IMHO. The technology disparity is the major thing that is really rubbing against me, holo tech all through the vessel, 'spore drives' that remind me of the Blink drive in Dark Matter that is better and more advanced than any drive we have seen (seems they can instantaneously go anywhere in the galaxy) etc.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

but they are spoiling the brand IMHO.
    It's a bit late for that.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    true enough, Abrams did that already. I should have said 'spoiling the brand further'
    AKA-Dean

I have to say STD isn't getting any better, and they are stuffing up the technology level worse and worse with every episode. Episode 6 did explain why they didn't go with Trip and T'pols daughter, as they tied in other story threads that would have come in conflict (and rewrite an iconic character arc).

The tech level disparity is why I would love them to go FORWARD in the Trek Timeline (original timeline not the Abrams abortion), they could go stupid with all manner of advance tech and not stuff up the established canon.
    AKA-Dean

Every episode I see pisses me off more than the last. They have clearly decided that they will do whatever they want and long term fans can go get bent.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Every episode I see pisses me off more than the last. They have clearly decided that they will do whatever they want and long term fans can go get bent.
    mirrors my thinking. The problem is the critics love STD, and the fans hate it. Opposite for The Orville, critics hate it and the fans love it. STD doesn't have anything Trekkie about it except for a thin veneer and name. I have watched a lot of Youtube vids absolutely rubbishing STD (which is warranted) but I don't think the writers/producers care.

What is up with the Sarek character? (he didn't accept his 1/2 Vulcan son Spook as too human and yet now they are saying he is somehow enamoured with a pure human) and changed the Klingons to the point of not being able to recognise them (to fire on them first would only make Klingons charge into battle, not be cowards and retreat), plus Vulcan's are pacifists, Sarek would not recommend firing first
    AKA-Dean

They don't care and don't care what fans think.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

The problem is the critics love STD, and the fans hate it.
    technically, if they like it, then they're fans too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    technically, if they like it, then they're fans too.
    true, but I don't put critics and fans in the same category, and I think everyone knew what I meant.

It's just a shame, they could have made it true to concept and gave us a real Trek series, but instead they pandered to the masses and produce another generic hollywood action based explosion fest
    AKA-Dean

Discovery wouldn't be a bad show if they stopped calling it Trek. It fails as Trek on so many levels that there really aren't words to describe how badly it fails.

Or at least admit it's a different timeline. Embracing the multiverse and exploring the concept would go far to appease purists and neo-fans alike. Something similar to what Enterprise did with the Mirror Universe/Defiant two-parter. 'Course that would need Moonves to extract his head from his anus. Doing a cross-over with the real prime universe where they encounter Pike's Enterprise and a young Spock might be... interesting. They could even use Star Trek Continues' sets redressed now that that fan series is wrapping up.

It seems that CBS has a problem with lying to viewers. First it was that "Benedict Cumberbatch is not playing Khan". This was a flat-out lie. They should have gone with the vaguely misleading rumours like when Karl Urban "let slip" that Cumberbatch was playing Gary Mitchell. This would have generated interest and those who'd guessed Khan would have felt vindicated. Now, it's Burnham is the First Officer. Nope, she's a former First Officer and rankless convicted mutineer 7 episodes into an 8-episode mini-season. CBS in general, and Les Moonvess in particular, have nothing but contempt for viewers, new or old. Discovery is moderately watchable generis "sci-fi", but it is most assuredly NOT Star Trek as it is.