Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

we only have to suffer through one more episode (just watched episode 8 and they said episode 9 is the finale) hopefully it won't get renewed for a second season.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    It seems that CBS has a problem with lying to viewers. First it was that "Benedict Cumberbatch is not playing Khan". This was a flat-out lie. They should have gone with the vaguely misleading rumours like when Karl Urban "let slip" that Cumberbatch was playing Gary Mitchell. This would have generated interest and those who'd guessed Khan would have felt vindicated. Now, it's Burnham is the First Officer. Nope, she's a former First Officer and rankless convicted mutineer 7 episodes into an 8-episode mini-season. CBS in general, and Les Moonvess in particular, have nothing but contempt for viewers, new or old. Discovery is moderately watchable generis "sci-fi", but it is most assuredly NOT Star Trek as it is.
    Cumberbatch is the in TV series? As Paramount has done the movies since the split.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    we only have to suffer through one more episode (just watched episode 8 and they said episode 9 is the finale) hopefully it won't get renewed for a second season.
    Actually, this is just the fall finale. It will be back in the spring with I think another 6 episodes. And it’s been greenlit for a 2nd Season (mich like Orville)

Quote Originally Posted by Arknight View Post
    Actually, this is just the fall finale. It will be back in the spring with I think another 6 episodes. And it’s been greenlit for a 2nd Season (much like Orville)
    thanks for the correction mate, and yes I do remember them saying 'fall season finale' now that you mention it. I honestly don't know how they could greenlight a second season, I don't know (or have seen) any Trek fan that likes it. There must be a fan base (and we aren't doing it any favors by watching it as ratings/viewership numbers is what drives renewal decisions) watching it.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    Cumberbatch is the in TV series? As Paramount has done the movies since the split.
    Actually, the Discovery series is produced under the Bad Robot licence, so technically it's an offshoot of the movies. But yeah, the whole post-Viacom disintegration has completely screwed up the Star Trek rights, so while Disco runs on CBS's pay network, it's run by the movie people, which is why it doesn't care about continuity and looks like JJ Dreck. Star Trek is no longer anything but a corporate branding. Trek est mort, vive l'Orville.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Actually, the Discovery series is produced under the Bad Robot licence, so technically it's an offshoot of the movies. But yeah, the whole post-Viacom disintegration has completely screwed up the Star Trek rights, so while Disco runs on CBS's pay network, it's run by the movie people, which is why it doesn't care about continuity and looks like JJ Dreck. Star Trek is no longer anything but a corporate branding. Trek est mort, vive l'Orville.
    Huh? The latest series of Trek movies were under a license from CBS to Paramount as CBS has the copyrights to Star Trek (Paramount only holding copyrights to the films). Since, CBS was not intending to do another Trek series any time soon they seem to have agreed in that licensing agreement to not produce a series until January of 2017. Only Alex Kurtzman, co-writer of the films Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, came over to executive produce. CBS Studios seem to be running the show, not Bad Robot or Paramount. CBS's pay channel is Showtime.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

It's been renewed. I just consider it and Alt-verse and roll it from there
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I don't get why you call it 'Star Trek' and don't make it look like its an artefact of the 60s.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I was trepidacious about the series, and I feel rightfully so having watched it...

Battlestar Treklactica sucks
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Showrunners Exit; Alex Kurtzman Takes Over
    Variety article
    Executive producers and showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg are exiting “Star Trek: Discovery,” Variety has confirmed. Executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman will take over showrunner duties for season two.
    Sources tell Variety that tension had been building in the writers room as work continued on season two, which remains set to premiere in 2019.
    Interesting....

season 2 (episode 1) is airing now and it is actually worse than season 1 from what I have seen. Plus there are a heap of 'short Treks' which, again are just as bad as ST.D. Every reviewer on YouTube I have seen has savaged ST.D, the whole thing seems to be going from bad to worse.
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    season 2 (episode 1) is airing now and it is actually worse than season 1 from what I have seen. Plus there are a heap of 'short Treks' which, again are just as bad as ST.D. Every reviewer on YouTube I have seen has savaged ST.D, the whole thing seems to be going from bad to worse.
    We're clearly not watching the same second season....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    We're clearly not watching the same second season....
    what makes you think that they have improved from season 1 mate? I am honestly asking and not trying to troll you.

Overall I think the Michael Burnham is atrocious and thoroughly unlikeable. I hate that they make the shows focus on a secondary character and not on the captain as all the other Trek's have been. The continuity problems continue. The writing is ordinary to say the least.
    AKA-Dean

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    Dammit to Himmel-Hop; will EVERYONE get OFF that GODDAMN CLICHE?

Too many have flown off the handle, escalating simple opinion, or perhaps some biased poem or political tirade into some retarded "bleh u suck lol" Witch Hunter groinal zit. ENOUGH. Without that OR the imagined Social Movement bombast;

the series IS GOOD< it just... kind OF has to do with previous series, and throws in whimsical new uniforms and photogenic tricks.

ALL of All of you 2nd age Monkeys take it from here.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteo View Post
    Dammit to Himmel-Hop; will EVERYONE get OFF that GODDAMN CLICHE?

Too many have flown off the handle, escalating simple opinion, or perhaps some biased poem or political tirade into some retarded "bleh u suck lol" Witch Hunter groinal zit. ENOUGH. Without that OR the imagined Social Movement bombast;

the series IS GOOD< it just... kind OF has to do with previous series, and throws in whimsical new uniforms and photogenic tricks.

ALL of All of you 2nd age Monkeys take it from here.
    what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

The discontinuity alone makes me hate ST.D, and the rest just adds to my displeasure.
    AKA-Dean