Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek Online Ships - Including the Vesta and Odessey Class, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Donovan View Post
    Has anyone been able to extract or extrapolate solid numbers for the length and crew complement of the Odyssey class? Only sources I have say she's in the 1060m range and ~2400-2500 total complement, but I don't know if I trust the sources.
    non-cannon, length 1062m, 2500 crew compliment. Probably the same source that you are thinking of though.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Odyssey_class
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

^ Yeah, that was the primary source. They cite the Foundry for their information, so that's the one I trust most. UFStarfleet Wiki and Starbase400 agree with each other, but not with Memory Beta and have a slightly shorter length and lower crew number.

Hopefully your query brings fruit in the form of a confirmation.

Using pods to count crew (assuming pod space for all), Galaxy pods (square) are 4-person, Voyager/Defiant pods (round) are 6 person (per backstage information). I don't know what the capacity for Sovereign pods (triangular) is though. I wouldn't make it less than 4 though. Six is doable, and maybe 8. Does anyone know for sure how big Sov pods are?
    Last edited by Chris Donovan; 09-03-2016 at 07:46 PM.

as per Space Dock Star Fleet Recognition manual, page 120, the Sovereign-class has 180 escape pods, each has 8 berths.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I'm not very familiar with the Spacedock system, but I'm trying to get the ships written up anyway, and while I was looking at how it differentiates the various array lengths in practice and basically counting arrays and multiplying by length I got some interesting results...

Assuming that the longest arrays on each of the Odyssey variants are 5 shots/round, and that the other lengths represented on the models are 3, 2 and 1 shot respectively, it looks like the only ship of the entire series (Odyssey, Yorktown, Sojourner and Endeavor) that is actually designed for broadside combat (the principle way you use them in STO) is the Endeavor...

The original Odyssey as first seen in the game fires 20 shots/round forward, 22 shots/round broadside, 18 shots/round aft, 18 shots/round up, and 26 shots/round down - assuming the belly phasers can't fire forward or aft, in which case it's 25 shots/round forward and 24 shots/round aft.

The refit Odyssey (current in-game model) fires 24 shots/round forward, 25 shots/round broadside, 20 shots/round aft, 24 shots/round up, and 26 shots/round down. If the belly phasers fire forward and aft, it's 30 forward and 26 aft.

The Yorktown, which is closest in shape to the Odyssey, fires 23 shots/round forward, 25 shots/round broadside, 18 shots/round aft, 18 shots/round up, and 23 shots/round down. Once again, if the belly phasers fire fore and aft, it's 29 forward and 24 aft.

The Sojourner, with the wide saucer, fires 31 shots/round forward, 29 shots/round broadside, 16 shots/round aft, 21 shots/round up, and 29 shots/round down. It only has one belly phaser, if it fires fore and aft, it's 34 forward and 19 aft. (if the large dorsal arrays can also fire aft, it goes up to 26 or 29 shots per round aft.)

And finally the Endeavor, with the triangular saucer, fires 27 shots/round forward, 31 shots/round broadside, 26 shots/round aft, 29 shots/round up, and 30 shots/round down; alternately, it's 33 shots/round forward and 32 shots/round aft.

Note that adding extra shots to the longest arrays will increase forward firepower faster than broadside firepower, since there are at least four of them firing forward, and only two per broadside...

Also, note that all except the Odyssey (either model) have four forward and two aft torpedo tubes. These really are ships that are designed with "front towards enemy" in mind.

interesting approach. Physical size does not define how many shots the array can fire (as per space dock). Space Dock defines how many emitters each array has, and that number (emitter number) dictates how many shots that array can fire.

Why not download the free PDF of Space Dock and see for yourself, it is very easy to follow and comprehensive.
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    interesting approach. Physical size does not define how many shots the array can fire (as per space dock). Space Dock defines how many emitters each array has, and that number (emitter number) dictates how many shots that array can fire.

Why not download the free PDF of Space Dock and see for yourself, it is very easy to follow and comprehensive.
    I have the books, I just ran out of patience with typing up a HTML template for my own use because there was so much stuff to list. I mean holy crap, the data block is five and a half full-height columns long, per ship. I spent 2 hours typing and formatting HTML, and I didn't even get to the tactical systems part of the template, forget actually working up a ship! Which is why I switched to something a little easier to handle for now.

Anyway, rate of fire *is* governed by the length of the array - because the longer the array, the more emitters it has. Look at pretty much any of the TNG-era writeups in the Federation book *except* the Galaxy and Nebula classes, with a picture of the ship handy so you can match the details, and you'll notice that the number of emitters to an array is proportional to the length of the thing on the model/drawing.

(The Galaxy and Nebula are excepted because their main arrays are absolutely huge on the ships themselves, but for some reason the author only made them 200 emitters long a piece, despite them looking two to three times as long as the other examples of 200-emitter arrays, and despite the design rules saying you can make arbitrarily long arrays, with the table going to +1 shot/40 emitters after the highest example of 280 emitters/7 shots. Both ships have enough SUs to make the big ones 400-emitter arrays, which would double the forward rate of fire.)

So when you look at an STO ship or a fanmade Trek ship, it's pretty easy to judge what number of emitters to give it under the Spacedock rules. If it's a tiny one like the stern arrays on the Galaxy or Intrepid, it's 40 emitters or 1 shot/round. If it's slightly longer, like the Galaxy-class' belly array or the ones that go on the corners of the Galaxy pylons, they're 80 emitters or 2 shots/round. A medium-length strip like the belly array on the Voyager is 120 emitters or 3 shots/round. And a long saucer array is usually 200 emitters or 5 shots/round.

Which is how I wrote up my ships, except instead of bothering to write "40 emitters", I just went with "1 shot/round".

fair enough mate. What about the Defiant's pulse cannons? They are a 'dual aperture cannon' (as in have 2 'barrels' per cannon, port and starboard) and yet have 200 emitters and 5 shts/rnd. My point is pics don't necessarily give a true portrayal in some cases.
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    fair enough mate. What about the Defiant's pulse cannons? They are a 'dual aperture cannon' (as in have 2 'barrels' per cannon, port and starboard) and yet have 200 emitters and 5 shts/rnd. My point is pics don't necessarily give a true portrayal in some cases.
    I hadn't actually looked at the cannons, so I didn't know they also used "emitters" like the phaser array strips. I'll have a look at the design rules, but I figure most cannons will probably be 200 emitters based on observed rate of fire, they'll just be different marks (i.e. do different amounts of damage).

Just because every ship in STO can be loaded up with Mk XIV weapons across the board doesn't mean they're all canonically armed that way. The Vesta class apparently uses Mk XII phasers and phaser cannon according to its creator; I figure the same will be true for the advanced versions of the Intrepid (Bellerophon and Pathfinder), given that the original Intrepid used phasers two marks lower than the Galaxy class.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    but I figure most cannons will probably be 200 emitters based on observed rate of fire, they'll just be different marks (i.e. do different amounts of damage).

Just because every ship in STO can be loaded up with Mk XIV weapons across the board doesn't mean they're all canonically armed that way. The Vesta class apparently uses Mk XII phasers and phaser cannon according to its creator; I figure the same will be true for the advanced versions of the Intrepid (Bellerophon and Pathfinder), given that the original Intrepid used phasers two marks lower than the Galaxy class.
    Cannon does not even go into emitter numbers, or shot/rnd, that is purely a RPG/Space Dock concept.

The last part of your post also highlights a discrepancy between interpretations between systems.

As far as a 'condensed' version of Space Dock, it is entirely possible as some write-ups attest.(looking at CODA vs ICON, ICON can omit the superfluous information and just present the bare bone facts of a ship which basically turns out like a CODA write-up). The only thing that presents a problem in that sort of format is power allocation (I know CODA does do power allocation), what I am saying is don't worry about power, assume the ship can do every thing like fire all of its weapons/have shields at maximum/run the impulse or warp at max etc without detrimentally overtaxing its warp core.

As far as phaser types, the Sovereign-class, as the flag ship as of 2370, is one of the most advanced StarFleet vessels and she is armed with the newly commissioned Type-XII phaser arrays, and is the only Federation vessel so equipped, even the Prometheus-class (commissioned 2374), the other 'most advanced' Federation vessel is equipped with Type-X phaser arrays, and it is a 'deep space tactical vessel'. All front-line StarFleet vessels commissioned around 2370's will have Type-X arrays (except said Sovereign-class) as standard.
    AKA-Dean

I know that the number of emitters per array or cannon is a Spacedock thing, I just meant that if I was writing up a STO ship with cannons on the 3D model, I'd probably give them 200 emitters in the game stats because of how fast they fire in STO. Though if you look *really* closely at the studio model of the Enterprise-D or -E, you could probably count the "ribs" on the arrays, and figure out the *exact* number, at least for the strip arrays. But god damn that would be tedious.

Figuring out what kind of phasers are installed on ships that were in the shows and movies is not a problem worth mentioning, given that all of them were written up for various technical manuals, and I *think* everything that was actually shown on screen at any point is already in the Spacedock SRM book. For the 2370s they range from Mk VIII phasers installed on the Intrepid-class to the Mk XII phasers installed on the Sovereign-class, with most other ships mentioned having Mk X phasers like on the Galaxy-class. This isn't exactly news.

It's the ships that are explicitly from the 2400s I'm most interested in, especially the brand new stuff (all the T5 and T6 ships). I figure that like in the 2370s, not all the new ships will be using the latest Phaser marks - flagships and battlecruisers yes, science ships no. Mk XII will probably be the new standard for ships not built for direct combat, and I think Mk X phasers would probably still be around on the smallest new designs, like the Aquarius (which I haven't gotten around to looking too closely at yet).

IMO you are right on concerning phaser advancement buy the early 2400's, one point though, some ships will have pulse phaser's installed as well, though only on the more combat orientated vessels. Star Trek Renaissance (non-cannon) had the TypeXIV and TypeXII on 'flagship' type vessels and TypeXII on everything else. Renaissance didn't go into rear echelon/science type vessels at all. You are also spot on concerning write-ups, probably every ship mentioned in the movies/series has been done in the various manuals.
    AKA-Dean