Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2d20 System

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX View Post
    The Collector's Edition is absolutely gorgeous, and full-color illustrations accompany all the starship stats.
    Really, really amazing full-color illustrations. Think of ship artists like Tobias Richter and Dave Metlesits. In fact, think of Tobias Richter and Dave Metlesits.

[QUOTE=Sea Tyger;187896]I have the Core Rulebook pdf at my greedy fingertips.

The first thing I did was look over the starship creation rules. A few thoughts:

This is outstanding. Now all we need is the 2150-2170 time frame

Allen

[QUOTE=AllenS;187917]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    I have the Core Rulebook pdf at my greedy fingertips.

The first thing I did was look over the starship creation rules. A few thoughts:

This is outstanding. Now all we need is the 2150-2170 time frame

Allen
    True, that. I might try my hand at homebrewing some of the missing 24th-century classes, but I want to hold back on the ENT era until I have a better feel for the process. Not a lot to compare to....

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    I have the Core Rulebook pdf at my greedy fingertips.

The first thing I did was look over the starship creation rules.
    Nathan divulges the secrets of spaceframes in this thread: http://www.modiphius.com/forum.html#...e-neb-5441040/

Basically, the Constitution Class is the basis at 46 points. Then you apply the refit rules based on when the ship in question entered service. They apply in reverse for older ships. Thus the NX-Class is (46)-9 or 37 points, whereas the Galaxy Class is +12. The exact distribution seems to take into account the refit rules as well; no more than 2 points added to a system (I am not sure if this works in reverse) and no system higher than 12. He does note that some ships seem to get a 1 point "bump" here and there (probably those considered flagships) and others that are perhaps inferior for their time period, such as the Nova class, get reduced.

This does not address the issue of starting talents for spaceframes, but at least we know how they do the system points.

Allen

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenS View Post
    Nathan divulges the secrets of spaceframes in this thread: http://www.modiphius.com/forum.html#...e-neb-5441040/...
    Good information!

I started looking at CODA vs STA ships, and I think I have relative size vs. scale figured out.

CODA Size 11+ corresponds to STA Scale 7 (Borg Cube)
    CODA 8-10 to STA 6 (Galaxy, D'Deridex)
    CODA 7 to STA 5 (Akira, Excelsior)
    CODA 6 to STA 4 (Constitution, Constellation, Miranda, Intrepid, D-7/K'tinga, Bird of Prey)
    CODA 4-5 to STA 3 (Defiant, Nova, B'Rel)
    CODA 2-3 to STA 2 (Danube)
    CODA 1 to STA 1 (Shuttles)

The next thing I was going to look at was how to quantify CODA Ops, Sensors, and Life Support values into differences in STA ship Systems scores, but I may, instead look at using them as simple guides to incorporate differences in two ships of the same era.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Inferences from Nathan's Info

I posted this at Modiphius' forums a few minutes ago, and it may give someone here some happy nitpicky moments:

I fiddled around a little with Nathan's notes, and found a few useful bits of information.

Several Starfleet ships seem to be slightly overpowered for their stated commissioning dates, but there seem to be reasonable explanations for each one:
    1. Miranda class (2274, 50 points of Systems instead of 48): according to the flavor text, the Miranda was initially designed as a warship and then repurposed.
    2. Excelsior class (2285, 51 instead of 50): clearly designed as a testbed for new, innovative engine technology.
    3. Galaxy class (2359, 58 instead of 57): the systems redundancy required by the saucer separation feature could justify the difference.
    4. Akira class (2368, 59 instead of 58): she's a beast.
    5. Intrepid class (2371, 59 instead of 58): a testbed for several systems innovations.

The Nova class comes in 3 points short for its commissioning date, but Nathan explained that one.

The Klingon ships fit pretty well into the timeline suggested by Nathan's system, which would place the D-7's commissioning date between 2245-2254 (46 points of Systems), the B'rel from 2265-2274 (48), the K'vort from 2295-2304 (51), and the Vor'cha from 2355-2364 (57).

By Nathan's system, the Romulan bird-of-prey would be commissioned between 2245-2254 (reasonable), but the D'deridex comes to a whopping 59 points of Systems. The sheer size of that sucker probably explains this, but it's not possible to pin down a likely commissioning date.

At 50 points, the Galor class is either an older design (2285-2294) or - more likely, I think - suffers from the Cardassians' frequent resource shortages.

The Dominion ships don't fit the timeline implied by Nathan's information, but they don't really need to because the Dominion represents a completely separate technological evolution. The Jem'Hadar fighter comes to 47 points, comparable to a Starfleet ship commissioned from 2255-2264, and the Jem'Hadar battle cruiser is another 59-point monstrosity.

The Borg ships are also a totally separate lineage, and they are as nasty as they should be: 65 points for the sphere, 70 for the cube.

The Maquis raider might be a very old design (47 points would put it from 2255-2264), or it might be weak because of its original limited role. The Maquis fighter is 38 points, but is also a small craft at Scale 1.

I managed to overlook one non-Starfleet ship from the book. The Ferengi D'kora comes in at 53 points of Systems. If it were a Starfleet ship, that would suggest a commissioning date from 2315-2324. That's not unbelievable, but I could also imagine that the D'kora runs a little low because of cost-cutting, kickbacks, and other financial shenanigans that seem to run rampant where Ferengi are involved.