Thread: Mercury-Class (proposed)

Mercury-Class (proposed)

Inspired by Omega's small ship write up the other day and a past write-up of a courier (Lancer's write up of the Tultrak-class Courier)
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...-Class-Courier
    I have been thinking about blisteringly fast, small ships, and so I looked up Space Dock and saw the proposed Mercury-class Courier. Here is my version of a small, incredibly fast courier type vessel.

The Mercury-class (SC) Fast Courier was fielded to replace the Loki-class Couriers lost during the Dominion war as well as update the aging Peregrine-class Courier. The Mercury-class fulfills the design parameters of the courier class admirably and is the fastest Federation vessel ever to be fielded as of 2376. As a courier the Mercury-class was designed to transport important messages and personnel quickly. These vessels can sustain warp 9.975 for extended periods.

These vessels are specifically designed to be small enough to fit in large vessels shuttle bays (only vessels such as the Akira and other dedicated carrier-type vessels can accommodate these ships in their oversized shuttle bays/flight decks, and then, only after special modification). These vessels take up the space of 12 StarFleet Fighters in a flightdeck.

These vessels are spartan for the most part, with several concessions made so as to make the vessel as fast as possible, though they are designed to ferry a small complement of special guests/dignitaries/VIP's and so are equipped with some luxurious appointments (luxury quarters, a fully equipped medical bay with an EMH and a single holosuite.) The spartan mess hall has been expanded by the integration of a small lounge. The mess hall/small lounge is used for all meetings, briefings etc onboard.

To increase the security and the stealthiness of the class Starfleet decided to install an Energy sheath on the Mercury-class, which makes the ship difficult to track with long range sensors and to scan internally. This was done so as to insure the integrity/privacy of the vessel's cargos.

The Mercury-class is a sleek, arrowing teardrop design, with an integrated saucer and engineering hull and two massive (relative to the vessel's overall size) variable geometry nacelles.

Mercury-class Fast Courier
    Launch date of the prototype NX-Mercury 2376
    Size 3
    L 99.1m
    B 59.4m
    H 20.2m
    Decks 5
    Mass 5000mt
    Su 1000
    SU 997
    Hull (inner/outer) <24>
    Resistance (inner/outer) 6/6 <12>
    *atmo, planet fall capability <6>
    *energy sheath hull <9>
    as this sheath does not obscure visual scans and is not technically a cloaking device it does not violate the Treaty of Algeron.

SIF class 4 70/110 <24>
    SIF B'up 35 <12>
    Sif B'up 35 <12>

Crew/pass/evac 30/12/150
    officers 18 enlisted 12
    *40% passenger complement, which is twice that it should be. This vessel carries a large crew complement for a small ship.

Quarters
    Spartan 20 (2 berth) <1>
    Basic 10 (1-2 berth) <1>
    Luxury 10 (1 berth) <10>
    Unusual 2 (1 berth) <2>
    *all quarters, ergonomically adaptable, replicator terminal, computer console, sonic shower.
    *Spartan 2 bunk beds per quarters
    *Basic suitable for one or two crew as standard.
    *Luxury/unusual full environmental control. Lux/Unusual quarters reserved for VIP passengers.

Basic LS (caters for 250) <12>
    Reserve LS <6>
    Emergency LS (8 emergency shelters) <6>
    Gravity <3>
    Consumables 1 year worth <3>
    Replicators (food) network of small terminals <3>
    Replicators (industrial) network of small terminals <3>
    1 large pad <3>

Medical facilities (8) +2 emk 3 <40>
    a fully staffed Med bay which includes an EMH, this is so the vessel can act as an emergency, rapid response, medical first responder if the need arises.
    CMO 4/5, per 3/4
    EMH MkI <5>

Recreation facilities (2) <16>
    1 holosuite, spartan mess hall with integrated small lounge

Jefferies tubes, turbolift network <9>
    Fire suppression system <3>
    Cargo bay 33,000m cubed <1>
    various small holds throughout ship
    Escape pods (40) 6 berth <3>

Warp systems
    Nacelles (2) Type 4C6 <48>
    warp cruise/sustain/emergency 4.0/9.975/9.982
    variable geometry nacelles <5>
    PIS type H (12 hours) <16>
    warp uprating sustain pk4x4 and pk3x1, max pk4 <48>
    *Much of what was learned during the development of the Intrepid-class was applied to the Mercury-class, just on a smaller scale, including a warp core with a tricyclic input manifold and variable geometry nacelles. This warp drive allows the ship a sustainable cruise velocity of warp factor 9.975.

Impulse engine (1) class V .7c/.9c [40pwr] <25>
    (1 engine, split into 2 sections aft port and starboard of the saucer section)
    RCS <3>

Power core M/AM reactor class 6/k [349pwr] <75>
    EPS (isomagnetic) +200pwr <27>
    Auxiliary pwr (2) [10pwr] <6>
    Emergency pwr type A [25pwr]<25>

Available power 389pwr
    Last edited by WaveMan; 07-15-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Bridge <15>

Computer (1 core, amidship) +1 <8>
    alpha uprating
    ODN <9>
    Nav deflector <12>

Sensors
    Long Range Type 2 hr5 ly lr 12ly +2 <26>
    class 6 6 str beta gain
    Lateral type 6 6str beta gain +2 <18>
    Navigational type 6 6str beta gain +2 <16>
    Probes (10) <1>
    Sensor skill 5

Autopilot 4/3 <15>
    Nav Comp class 3 +2 <4>
    Nav Comp B'up(1) <1>

IDF (main) 2 <12>
    IDF (B'up) 2 <2>
    Attitude control <1>
    *manual steering column <1>

Comms class 6 6str sec rating -3 alpha +1 <15>
    *emergency comms <1>
    The comms are taken directly off the Talon-class Scout

Tractor beam (1) beta fore ventral (1) alpha aft prow <9>

Transporter (1 room) <20>
    12 pad type 6 40000km class H e/t coils 8 str
    *this single transporter is used for all transporter duties on-board, including any cargo transfers.

Security systems (2) <8>
    *CSO 3/4, per 2/3, 2 brigs
    *anti intruder system <3>
    *internal force fields <3>

Science systems (1) +0 <8>
    *3 labs <2>

TA/T/TS beta 8 str +1 <9>
    Weapon skill 5
    Auto destruct <3>
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-14-2016 at 01:28 AM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Tactical systems
    Phaser arrays (2) TypeX <59>
    80 emitters 2sht/rnd acc3/4/6/9 arc 541+ degrees
    Dam 200 Pwr20/sht (acb jacketed 25/sht)
    modes std, cont, pulse, wide
    range 10/30000/100000/300,000km
    *forward dorsal (ACB jacketed, allows phaser to be fired at warp)
    *forward ventral

Phaser Array TypeX (1) <19>
    40 emitters 1 sht/rnd acc3/4/6/9 arc 541+degree's
    Dam 200 Pwr20/sht modes std, cont, wide, pulse
    range 10/30000/100000/300,000km
    *aft prow

Torpedo Launchers (1) class VI burst fire std yield <13>
    spread 6 acc3/4/6/9 arc self guided
    range 14/350000/1.5m/4.05m km
    *forward ventral

Magazines
    (1) 12 MkI quantum (400dam) <1>
    (1) 120 Type II photon (200 dam) <12>

Shields (metaphasic, regenerative) <160>
    Prot 2400/3600 Thres 750
    Regen 20/rnd

gen class 4 800 prot
    grid type c 50%
    dis amp class epsilon thres 250
    regen class 1 20/rnd
    *metaphasic shields allow vessel to travel into most stars corona's.

B'up shields (4) <4>

Auxiliary craft
    none.

These ships are heavily armed for a vessel of their size and have very powerful defenses. It has been noted that with a few tweeks these vessels could be retasked as a scout or fast attack ship (mainly increasing the vessels impulse performance)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
    AKA-Dean

One of the things I have had a love/hate relationship with re. Spacedock is the excruciating level of detail it goes into. Love reading that level of detail. Hate having to go into it when doing stat work.

LoL I am the exact opposite I love the detail of Space Dock when compared to the likes of CODA. Don't get me wrong, there are things I hate about Space Dock as well but the level of detail isn't one of them. One thing you can do is ignore a lot of the superfluous stats, ignore the power requirements and assume that each ship can operate at maximum efficiency using the installed power core.

This was a fun build, I like this little ship a lot. I have tweaked it a little, reduced the L/R sensor's a bit, increased the power core and SIF strength a bit.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-06-2016 at 03:29 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Do you mean "compared to the likes of CODA"?

To each their own, I suppose. I don't run the board-game style combat in any event. I've tried a few times to do a full Spacedock build and always gave up because it was just too fiddley. Something down near the CODA or FASA level works for what little detail I need.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I've never been able to war my head around Spacedock.

I really like the system of both designing ships, and using them in play that you find in WEG's Star Wars RPG. The D6 system.

Yeah mate I meant CODA (I just edited it, sorry)

Once you start to ignore some of the stats on Spacedock the write-up starts to look like a CODA write up (which is just a condensed version of SpaceDock if you think about it) The most complicated thing with running a SpaceDock write up is power management, once you eliminate that SpaceDock becomes a lot easier to manage.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-06-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    AKA-Dean

My first reaction to the image of this ship is it looks like a tadpole with warp nacelles, yet I love the write up. I guess a courier ship does not have to look like a classic Federation starship to be fast and useful as an example the Defiant and the Akira classes. Once again, another fine ship.

thanks mate, I will admit I didn't really like the pic at first, but it is growing on me and fits the build perfectly (including the sizing and number of decks). I didn't want to do another 'oversized' shuttle or runabout build and wanted it to look like a full sized Starfleet vessel, but with an unconventional twist.
    AKA-Dean

There's a guy over at DeviantArt that did othos of this class (and about 600 other classes too) named Admiral Horton.

the pic description said it was the Aegian-class and I found it when I was searching for pics of the Mercury (BTW I couldn't find any that I liked and fit the Size 3 vessel I envisioned)
    AKA-Dean

No worries. Just tossing that info out for whatever use it might be. I get a lot of my starship imagery from Horton.

thanks for the info mate, Deviantart does a lot of good stuff. I am a very visual person and like to add pics to all my ship builds.
    AKA-Dean