Thread: Abraxas-class Mercenary Corvette (late 2370's)

Abraxas-class Mercenary Corvette (late 2370's)

Now for something a little different, a privately owned and operated paramilitary vessel. This write up is taken from the pages of Raiders, Renegades & Rogues, page 91 and adapted to Space Dock. I tried to stay as true to the CODA write up as possible, with a few minor tweaks to add some flavour. I also tried to stay within the parameters of 'how many bars of latinum for the Prometheus-class ship' page 18 of SpaceDock (though did exceed some of it by a bit) A player would need to take Advantage Vessel +6 and Advantage Resources +4 (so 10 development points worth) to 'own' this vessel outright.

Commissioning date, this vessel was built some time before the Dominion war, then refitted with spoils-of-war (war salvage) after 2375, so would be operating as written up from 2376.
    Before 2375 refit omit ablative armour, cloaking device and forward disruptor and the Klingon torpedo launchers (they replace two torpedo launcher), decrease warp core to 7/m

The Abraxas-class mercenary corvette represents the pinnacle of such vessels. Only the best-funded or well equipped mercenary groups use these expensive vessels, most mercenary bands have to settle for corvettes which are somewhat slower and less well armed. These vessels are based on an enlarged Ju'day-class freighter spaceframe.

Size 5
    L 151m
    B 154.11m
    H 37.75m
    Decks 8
    Mass 355,000 mt
    SU 1900
    SU 1844

Hull (inner/outer) <40>
    Resistance (inner/outer) 10/10 <24>
    *atmo capability <5>
    *planetfall capability <5>
    (ventral impeller, 4 retractable landing struts)
    *ablative hull armour 400 <80>

SIF class 5 80/120 <29>
    SIF B'up 40 <15>
    SIF B'up 40 <15>

Crew 4/10/192
    *computer automation (usual crew level is 40) <50>

Quarters <6>
    spartan 40 (2 berth)
    lux 4 (1-2 berth)
    spartan 2 bunks per quarters, replicator terminal, computer console, sonic shower.
    lux ergonomically adaptable, full environmental control, replicator terminal, computer console, combined sonic and water shower/spa

Basic Life Support (caters for 250 personnel) <20>
    *the life support system was unaltered even after the computer automation, so it caters for a larger number of personnel then would be expected.
    Reserve Life Support <10>
    Emergency Life Support (16 emergency shelters) <10>
    Gravity <5>
    Consumables 1 years worth <5>
    Replicators (food) <5>
    Replicators (industrial) network of small terminals <5>
    Replicators (industrial large pads 1) <3>

Medical facilities (6) +1 <30>
    CMO 5/6 per 3/4 emk 3

Recreation facilities (4) <32>
    1 holodeck, 2 holosuites, large mess hall with small lounge integrated. 1 small lounge (observation lounge, accessed via the bridge, used for briefings)

Jefferies tubes, network of Turbolifts <15>
    Fire suppression system <5>
    Escape pods 120 (4 berth) <6>
    Cargo bays 200,000m cubed <6>
    *2 large bays, and various small bays throughout vessel. As these vessels were originally designed as Freighters they have large cargo capacity.

Nacelles (2 embedded) Type 6a <110>
    warp cruise/max/burst (emergency) 6.5/8.0/9.0 48 hours
    PIS type J (48 hours) <20>
    warp uprating packages (pk1 cruise,max,burst compensates for embedded nacelle and cruise pk1 and pk4)

Impulse Engine (2) class V .8c/.95c [40pwr/engine] <50>
    (aft port and starboard)
    class gamma 100% acceleration, impulse thrusters +1 flight control above .6c <26>
    RCS <5>
    *these ships are incredibly maneuverable at impulse thanks to their impulse thruster, and are capable of travelling at near light speed.

Warp core class 9/o (1250+ cochrane) [499pwr] <105>
    EPS std +350 pwr <60>
    Aux power (5) [25 pwr/rnd] <15>
    Emergency power type E [45 pwr/rnd] <45>
    available power 579
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-13-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Bridge <25>

Computers (2 cores) <20>
    ODN <15>
    Nav deflector (main) <20>
    *forward ventral

Sensors
    Long Range type 5 hr5ly lr15ly +1 <37>
    7 str alpha gain
    Lateral (1ly range)7 str beta gain +2 <20>
    Navigational 7 str alpha gain +1 <16>
    Probes 10 <1>
    Sensor skill 4

Auto pilot 3/3 <12>
    Nav comp class 2 +1 <2>
    Nav comp B'up's (1) <1>
    IDF main 3 <30>
    IDF B'up 2 <5>
    Attitude control <1>
    *manual steering column <1>

Comms class 7 7 str -3 sec alpha uprated +1 <17>
    *emergency comms <1>

Tractor beams
    (2) gamma 4/5/7/10 <18>
    * forward ventral, aft prow
    (1) alpha 5/6/8/11 <3>
    *shuttle bay

Transporter (personnel) 2 rooms (15su) <30>
    6 pad type 5 35,000km range class G e/t coils 7 str

Transporter (emergency) 2 rooms (12su) <24>
    12 pad type 2 10,000km range class G e/t coils 7 str

Transporter (cargo) in 2 large bays (15su) <30>
    400kg type 2 20,000km range class G e/t coils 7 str

Cloaking Device Class 7 <26>
    recovered from a Brakt-class Klingon Fast Attack Ship.
    This cloaking device is inefficient, uses 320pwr/rnd (as a class 8) and grants +6 to detect (as a class 6)

Security systems (3) <12>
    CSO 4/5 per 2/3 4 brigs
    *anti intruder system <5>
    *internal force fields <5>

Science systems (2) +1 <25>
    4 labs <2>

TA/T/TS beta str 8 +1 <9>
    Weapon skill 4
    Auto destruct <5>

Shuttle bay 3 sc for shuttles <6>
    1 shuttle
    1 shuttle pod

currently only a single type-6 shuttle
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-11-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Tactical systems notes, this vessels standard weapon systems consist of 7 phaser arrays and 2 low spread standard yield torpedo launchers (a standard mod for this class is to have the two wing tip phaser arrays to be replaced with Miranda pulse phaser cannons). The ship has been retrofitted with a Klingon Type 12 disruptor and three uprated Klingon torpedo launchers. These four weapon systems were recovered from several Brakt-class Fast Attack Ships. It also has been fitted with a warp destabilizer.

Warp Destabilizer page 88 Raiders, Renegades & Rogues. A successful hit upon a ship interferes with the proper functioning of the power transfer conduits connecting the warp engines to the warp nacelles, thus preventing the target from going to warp (but it doesn't prevent the warp engine from providing power to the other ships systems) The effects last for 1d6x10 minutes.

Because this vessels carries a mix of phasers and disruptors (and indeed a mix of Federation and Klingon technology) its engineer has to pay careful attention to the tactical systems to maintain them in optimal condition.

System upgrade suggestions. If I were the Owner/Operator of this vessel I would be working towards trying to fit the following

nacelle upgrade to 6D97 (6.5/9.6/9.975) <+22su>

TA/T/TS upgraded to Delta 10str, +3 <+6su>

add as much torpedo storage as possible and try to secure a quantity of MKI quantum torpedoes.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-13-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Tactical systems
    Forward Disruptor (Type 12) <54>
    5 sht/rnd beta interlock acc 4/5/7/10
    arc 360 degrees forward, modes std, pulse
    dam 260 pwr 31/sht
    range 10/30000/100,000/300,000km
    forward prow
    *this Disruptor is of Klingon make, recovered from a Brakt-class FAS. This canon requires +5 power to fire each shot due to the difficulties of integrating such a large beam weapon into a relatively small ship. Additionally, if the ship ever suffers a dramatic failure on any test to hit a target with the canon it burns out and must be completely rebuilt. While this canon drastically increases the ship's firepower, it can cause unpredictable power surges throughout the ship because it draws so much power.

Wing Tip Pulse Phasers (26su each) <52>
    120 emitters 3sht/rnd gamma interlock acc 3/4/6/9
    modes pulse (which is its default mode), wide arc 360 degrees
    dam 190 pwr 19/sht
    port and starboard 'wing tips'
    these two pulse phaser cannons are taken from a Miranda-class and is a 'standard' modification for this class.

Phaser arrays (5) Type VIII (29su each) <145>
    120 emitters 3 sht/rnd beta interlock acc 4/5/7/10
    modes std, cont, pulse, wide, arc 541+ degrees
    dam 160 pwr 16/sht
    forward port and starboard prow, ventral and dorsal amidships, aft prow
    gives full 720 degree firing arc coverage.

Warp Destabilizer (1) <20>
    fore ventral, arc 360 degrees, acc 4/5/7/10, 1shot/rnd, 15pwr/sht
    range as a phaser.

Torpedo launchers (3) Klingon std yield launcher's <51>
    spread 8 beta interlock acc 4/5/7/10
    arc self guided range 15/300,000/1m/3.5m km
    forward port and starboard, aft
    *these launchers are of Klingon make, recovered from a Brakt-class FAS. They capable of launching up to four torpedoes per second for up to two seconds, or launching eight torpedoes simultaneously.

Magazines
    (3) 40 Type II (dam 200) <12>
    these are the standard range Type II torpedoes.

Shields (embedded) <220>
    protection 900/1197
    threshold 210
    recharge 30sec
    B'up shields (4) <4>

gen class 4 800+100 embedded
    grid type B 33%
    dis amp delta 200+10 embedded
    recharge class 4 30 sec
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-13-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Unfortunately, that image is not of the Abraxas class, but rather of the Orion smuggling ship OMS Kamerain. The image was re-used from the supplement A Fragile Peace, where it actually gives partial deckplans, showing it to be a container ship. I've done full deckplans of the OMS Kamerain in M20 scale. http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/deckpl...0/kamerain.htm
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 12-12-2016 at 06:40 PM.

I never liked that pic, but I was working with what was presented in Raiders, Renegades & Rogues. I will look for a suitable pic today and see what I can come up with.
    AKA-Dean

ok I have made a decision and decided to go with a modified and enlarged Ju'day Freighter to be the basis for the Abraxas. I found this Maquis ship comparison and worked from there (as I have a reference point of knowing how big the Peregrine is. BTW the Ma'jel-class is Chakotay's Maquis Raider.

The Peregrine is 30.2m long, making the Ma'jel 60.4m (twice as long) and the Ju'day being 120.8m (four times as long). The Abraxas is five times as long.
    AKA-Dean

Always thought it was a little weird that they gave those statblocks specific class names, instead of just making them generic.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    The Peregrine is 30.2m long, making the Ma'jel 60.4m (twice as long) and the Ju'day being 120.8m (four times as long). The Abraxas is five times as long.
    Dunno where you got the sizes on the small craft, but they are wrong. In that image, originally from my site, all are shown in scale to the runabout and accompanying figures. Also from my site is the following image with the correct sizes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 12-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.

SpaceDock lists the Federation Attack Fighter as L 30.2m, B 28.5m, H 12.7m, Mass 29mt, Dominion War Sourcebook page 121.

I also found this

listing the Maquis Raider (Ma'jel class) as 60m which correlates with the scaling off your pic and with an Attack Fighter being 30.2m long.

I always take the SpaceDock dimensions of something as my HeadCanon and ignore other sources unless I can collaborate it with SpaceDock. I have found SpaceDock to be correct almost every time so that is why I go with it.

Pics of Federation civilian vessels are scarce or look like crap so I am limited with what I could go with. Stats for civilian vessels are even more scarce so I had to make them up, working with the few stats I could find.
    AKA-Dean

I was just looking at the scaling of the comparison pic with the 4 ships and going by your figures (attack fighter L 12.6m) that puts the Ma'jel at around L 28m or size class 2, the same for the Danube (L23.1m which incidentally corresponds with SpaceDock), and for me, that doesn't work as that puts the Maquis Raider as being too small when written up in SpaceDock.
    I will never put the Attack fighter as 12.6m long and think the 30.2m length to be far more appropriate. If you think about it, using your figures puts the Attack fighter as about half the size (dimensionally, not as per SpaceDock) of the Danube Runabout, which for me, is totally wrong.
    AKA-Dean

The size for the Ju'day was taken from the Voyager FX team's official size as double-checked against the cockpit size, which was a re-use of the Danube cockpit. The Peregrine and Ma'jel (my name for the ship and definitely and non-canon) were both based on the cockpit exteriors which were re-uses of the Type 15 shuttlepod and standard alien shuttle/Toron class shuttles, sizes of both of which are well known from the studio set pieces. I don't know where Steve got his dimensions for the Raider (Ju'day), but many of the sizes used in the game and the STDS9 TM are just plain wrong.

be that as it may, I prefer Steve's stats in SpaceDock and use them as reference for my builds. Besides, every time I check SpaceDock against outside sources it seems to be right, the only case I have found is the Attack Fighter, which does differ from several sources.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 12-13-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Renaissance is (IMO) closer to what the Attack fighter should be sized like, and compared to other small craft (including the Danube at 23.1m which corresponds with all my other posts)

AKA-Dean